HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 5:23 AM

Well... I just watched the 11pm news and they said the storm is expected to start anytime after 12am and supposed to last until 12pm or so? I just opened my back door and the wind is really starting to pick up! lets see what happens?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 5:26 AM
Closed account

I haven't been out for a while. I will be in the next while though to put pup out again. They said about 15 cm is what we will be getting. Deffinately going to be a while xmas this year.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 6:16 AM

whoever in this city who decided to permit on-street parking and putting the sidewalks in the spot where the snow should be stored (right beside the road)..should be..oh i dunno...given a talking to.

Terrible for snow removal.

London's had snow since Early November. Blame Lake Effect from Lake Huron.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 6:22 AM
Closed account

They didn't do a great job at plowing my street last night. They didn't plow close enough to the sidewalk. And was nothing parked in that area at the time either.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 1:01 PM

They did'nt do a very good job plowing my area either! I was driving around the corner at Locke and Melbourne yesterday and could'nt believe what a terrible job they did at plowing out the corners near the cross walks.

Well... we just got another 10cms I'am guessing? and its still snowing,lets see how good of a job the road crews do this time. I notice alot of people loosing there patience as only one car can come down a side street at a time while the other has to wait...lol I predict alot of fender benders.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 4:00 PM
Closed account

I was driving on Melvin Ave. last night and the bus had to stop to let someone on and the driver had to stop in the driving lane cause the bank was too big in the curb lane. So there is another street they did a lousy job on. I don't mind paying for snow removal in my taxes, but at least do a good job you know.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:03 AM
It's Hammer Time

Suppose to up 5°C on Christmas Eve. It'll rain so we're having a wet Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:09 AM
Closed account

Let's hope it gets rid of some of our snow though.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
slush is the worst thing ever for walking.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:24 AM
Closed account

Still wishes I was a bear and could hibernate through this crap.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 2:27 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
whoever in this city who decided to permit on-street parking and putting the sidewalks in the spot where the snow should be stored (right beside the road)..should be..oh i dunno...given a talking to.

Terrible for snow removal.

London's had snow since Early November. Blame Lake Effect from Lake Huron.
i'm in London area right now, and there's definitely much more snow than Hamilton has at the moment.

Yesterday in Hamilton I was surprised how clear it was downtown... after all the cleanup had occurred of course.

A couple days ago when it was really nasty a friend of mine couldn't get to their street at all (Bayfront area) because it was completely snowed in and wasn't cleared till the next day.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 2:24 AM

Just got in from walking the dog, jezzz is the snow ever coming down! 5-15cms they are saying...looks like we have atleast 5cm already.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 2:30 AM
Closed account

And winter just started, and I'm fed up with it already.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 3:20 AM

My dog seems to love it though!lol!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 3:29 AM
Closed account

Mine isn't too thrilled with it.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

City under wind warning; Skyway closed

December 28, 2008
Dana Brown

The Burlington Skyway bridge remains closed after high winds shut down the roadway earlier this morning.

Traffic is being re-routed in both directions around the bridge and the city is currently under a wind warning.

Winds are expected to gust up to 90 kilometres an hour today, dropping down to about 60 kilometres this afternoon.

Environment Canada said this morning a storm system is moving across northeastern Ontario and is swathing the southern part of the province with a cold front.

“The rain and unseasonably mild temperatures are coming to an abrupt end with the passage of this front as it roars across southern Ontario at speeds of 100 km/h,” said a posting on Environment Canada’s website Sunday morning.

The winds were strong enough to bring down hydro lines and cause power outages in some parts of the city.

The gusty day ends about 24 hours of unusually warm temperatures. Late last night, Hamilton hit a high of 13 C, surpassing the record high of 12.2 C set in 1971.

The toasty temps, and just over nine millimetres of precipitation, helped wipe out much of the snow left over from a recent series of heavy winter storms. The melt prompted the Grant River Conservation Authority to issue a flood warning, but no such warning was issued by the Hamilton Conservation Authority.

Due to the heavy melting and flooding, some streets in Fort Erie and Thorold were closed yesterday.

Today, the temperature reached 14 C early this morning, but then began plummeting back down with high winds Sunday morning. It’s expected to stay low for the remainder of the day, with winds only calming down to gusting at 50 kilometres an hour by this evening.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Seriously? Give me snow over rain any day.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

McMaster now has it's own weather station....

http://geomedia.mcmaster.ca/muws/index.php

This is probably a better way to get the temperature than from Hamilton Airport.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 6:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Guys fed up with this summer weather yet?

Red Hill access from QEW closed

July 26, 2009
Dana Brown
THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/606997

A powerful thunderstorm that pummeled the city Sunday has caused massive flooding in homes and on streets.

OPP said the exits to the Red Hill Valley Parkway from the QEW have also been closed in both directions because of flooding. It's unclear exactly how much of the parkway is affected by rising waters or whether more parts of the road have been closed.

Hydro One, which handles some customers in Hamilton, reported a handful of people without power as of 2 p.m. in Ancaster, Binbrook, Beverly, Glanbrook and Glanford.

And the rain may not be over yet.

According to Environment Canada, as much as 50 to 75 mm of rain may have already fallen on the Hamilton area, with another 25 to 50 mm possible in the next few hours.

The government agency issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the area and cautioned that “some severe thunderstorms produce tornadoes.”

Heavy rain started pounding the city during the late morning, causing a torrential downpour that caused water to start gushing into hundreds of homes and washing out roads. Houses particularly affected appear to be those in the east end.

Some traffic signals were also out, likely from the storm, which brought lightening and booming thunder.

There were also several reports of cars being submerged or swamped with water, but no injuries were reported.

East end councillor Sam Merulla sent out an email saying he has been “flooded by pages and phone calls of victimized residents with raw sewage in their basement.”

The storm follows a short and sharp spattering of rain the city received yesterday afternoon. The precipitation yesterday totalled 23.4 mm.

The greatest amount of precipitation in the city on July 26 fell in 1989, with 107 mm.

Environment Canada said there is a 60 per cent chance of showers Sunday night, with a risk of a thunderstorm.

The wet weather may continue tomorrow as well, with a 30 per cent chance of showers during the day.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like a state of emergency could be called, a media update is coming up soon. Red Hill Parkway will be closed for 48 hrs.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/607038

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion