HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Mira in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 8:34 PM
heavy user of walkability

bit more on the cladding

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
bit more on the cladding

The complexity of Studio Gang's computer-aided design is coming in to full view, thanks timbad.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 8:53 PM
Build Baby Build

Mira starting to look great!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:45 AM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:57 AM

Just wish this building is a lot taller.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
Just wish this building is a lot taller.
Yes, I know. Don't get me started! At least it went from 300 to 400'.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:52 AM
heavy user of walkability

before these get too old... from last weekend:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
before these get too old... from last weekend:
My only gripe with this design is the proportion of the glass. The horizontality of the windows feels cheap to me. It makes the floor height seem squat and comes off a bit too much like a 1970s office building. Obv the torsional effect is super nice, but really feel like this one could feel dated before it's ever lived in.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:28 PM

I'm disappointed that the facade turned out to be what looks like aluminum or sheet metal instead of the promised masonry. Hopefully it will end up looking nice after it's finished.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
I'm disappointed that the facade turned out to be what looks like aluminum or sheet metal instead of the promised masonry. Hopefully it will end up looking nice after it's finished.
I've only seen the photos, not live, but it looks like precast concrete to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
My only gripe with this design is the proportion of the glass. The horizontality of the windows feels cheap to me. It makes the floor height seem squat and comes off a bit too much like a 1970s office building. Obv the torsional effect is super nice, but really feel like this one could feel dated before it's ever lived in.
Recall that this building is going to be priced at the low end of the new construction high rise condo range and to contain many "affordable" units. Compromises have to be made in order to do that. One problem with San Francisco development in the last decade or two is that there's been a competition for having the most "high end" building with the fanciest finishes etc. This building is not in that competition--it's a refreshing combination of innovative DESIGN (Jean Gang) and appropriately value-oriented finishes keeping the price per square foot down and in that sense it's what San Francisco needs a lot more of. See Folsom tower developer agrees to 40% affordable housing

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I've only seen the photos, not live, but it looks like precast concrete to me.

Recall that this building is going to be priced at the low end of the new construction high rise condo range and to contain many "affordable" units. Compromises have to be made in order to do that. One problem with San Francisco development in the last decade or two is that there's been a competition for having the most "high end" building with the fanciest finishes etc. This building is not in that competition--it's a refreshing combination of innovative DESIGN (Jean Gang) and appropriately value-oriented finishes keeping the price per square foot down and in that sense it's what San Francisco needs a lot more of. See Folsom tower developer agrees to 40% affordable housing
Regardless of whatever "innovative DESIGN" decisions you refer to, it still doesn't resolve the proportional issues or its anecdotal choices of finish.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Regardless of whatever "innovative DESIGN" decisions you refer to, it still doesn't resolve the proportional issues or its anecdotal choices of finish.
By innovative design, I referred (I thought obviously) to its "twistiness".

As to the finishes, I know absolutely nothing about them other than the apparent use of a precast cladding (which I'm not certain about). The comments here suggest some aren't happy with the glass to solid ratio and that's a matter of personal taste. A totally glass curtain wall isn't for everyone and shouldn't be for every new building in town as it has recently seemed. I'm perfectly OK with it and I'm not even that bothered by it being a similar height to the building across the street.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 9:57 AM

I’m not a fan of how the building looks. It looks cheap. I also wish it was a lot taller.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 4:29 PM
Surrounded by Nature

If you think it looks cheap, why do you want it to be taller? Let’s see how it looks when it’s up. It’s not Chicago’s fascinating Aqua, by the same architect, but I think it’s going to look distinctively good.

Last edited by viewguysf; Dec 3, 2018 at 8:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 5:36 PM

thank goodness no blue or green or bluegreen glass..

i think it needs some time before judgement. personally, i am happy to see a building without blue, green, or blue-green reflective glass. it gives the skyline some contrast.

According to the studio gang website and latest images, the flat, precast concrete facade is what we are going to get.

In addition, because of the similar height, i wish this building was located in the lot now occupied by 45 Lansing which is a much more prominent location.

images http://studiogang.com/project/mira

Last edited by boyinthecity; Dec 2, 2018 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
i think it needs some time before judgement. personally, i am happy to see a building without blue, green, or blue-green reflective glass. it gives the skyline some contrast.

According to the studio gang website and latest images, the flat, precast concrete facade is what we are going to get.

In addition, because of the similar height, i wish this building was located in the lot now occupied by 45 Lansing which is a much more pronounced location.
At least it is in the first "row" of tall buildings off that point of Embarcadero.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 7:06 PM
Build Baby Build

This is a wonderful building from a distance and up close. I have found angles that are one of a kind, particularly between the tower and the mid-rise portion. The people criticizing do not realize that the message board is for fans and for positive and/or content heavy comments. I will try to get more pictures soon.

One sentence damning of partially complete projects that people have been watching for 5 years is unproductive and a drag on the forum as a whole. Please stop asking for the building to be taller when its been raised 100 feet already...but of course some posters don't even know or care about how the city works.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 7:15 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
One sentence damning of partially complete projects that people have been watching for 5 years is unproductive and a drag on the forum as a whole. Please stop asking for the building to be taller when its been raised 100 feet already...but of course some posters don't even know or care about how the city works.
Why can’t they just, like, keep going when they get to the top? Then it would be taller. Seems easy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 8:40 PM

I'm really excited about this one. It will be most prominent from the "postcard shot" angle from the bay, and the fact that it is white and sculptural will really nicely offset it from the smoother, blue/green towers in RH. I think it will stand out far more than expected (in a good way!).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive