HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:12 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They replied to my nagging.

"We're seriously excited to see the progression, Kevin Lehnhardt! The decision on the crown being lit is still in the works, but we really appreciate your opinions on it. We always want to know what the Austinites think."

Well...okay. Most of think it needs to be taller. Much taller.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:59 AM
lurker

They actually replied to me on Facebook as well, about the crown being lit. Pretty much the same response.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 4:45 AM

If they don't give the tower a glowing crown they are truly fucking stupid.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:27 AM
Meh

I mean not having lights on the W works because that building doesn't have a crown and the design actually looks better without night lighting. I think lining it with lights would have looked lame, and there's no where on the building to put floodlights either. This building, though, will have a big crown, and although it's just a box, it would look good with lights from the inside illuminating it. Something similar to Colorado Tower's lighting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:57 AM
World Traveler

The other difference with the W is that the glass reflects so well - it almost changes colors depending on the time of day. It's pretty cool, in my opinion. The Independent needs a lit crown.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Technically the W Hotel is lit. There is a row of light purple -white? Lights the separate the hotel portion from the Condo tower.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:58 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
yesssssss

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:19 PM
Meh

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:44 PM
Member since 2001

Wait...CIM Group is an "investor" and co-developer in the project (like Aspen Heights - which was brought onto the team by Constructive Ventures). No where in the article did it say they have enough equity to constitute a construction facility. It simply jumps to that conclusion.

Shonda Novak has been around a long time and is pretty good. However, she has been known to make mistake or three, misquote (or misunderstand) a person from time-to-time, and on occasion have a lack of respect for the details (as, in this case, is indicated by her incorrect statement regarding the tower's height).

Until someone from the development group is actually quoted as having all the funding in place to begin construction...I will continue to keep my fingers crossed. That has yet to happen.

Nonetheless, they have built a strong group and with the success of presales, I believe - should it be required - the group will have little challenge in securing a construction loan facility.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Wait...CIM Group is an "investor" and co-developer in the project (like Aspen Heights - which was brought onto the team by Constructive Ventures). No where in the article did it say they have enough equity to constitute a construction facility. It simply jumps to that conclusion.

Shonda Novak has been around a long time and is pretty good. However, she has been known to make mistake or three, misquote (or misunderstand) a person from time-to-time, and on occasion have a lack of respect for the details (as, in this case, is indicated by her incorrect statement regarding the tower's height).

Until someone from the development group is actually quoted as having all the funding in place to begin construction...I will continue to keep my fingers crossed. That has yet to happen.

Nonetheless, they have built a strong group and with the success of presales, I believe - should it be required - the group will have little challenge in securing a construction loan facility.
The ABJ version echos your thoughts.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 AM
Member since 2001

Yes.

Thank you for pointing this fact out. Don't you find if funny that CIM does not want to talk about their actual (financial) involvement in this project??? I do.

Additionally, when asked about construction dates, a CIM spokeswoman stated that "there is no specific date yet for groundbreaking."

Buchholz is a much better journalist than Novak...in my personal experience. However, she has her flaws as well. Jan, please further explain the following: "CIM's announcement indicates that reservations will be converted into sales contracts in late September."

How exactly does their announcement lead to the finalization of any sales contracts by any specific date?

She also points out that Aspen and Constructive were "vague" when questioned if they have all the financing in place for the project.

Los Angeles company offers few details after investing in Austin's "Jenga" condo tower.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Sep 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:32 AM

Shonda Novak tends to treat a developer's press release like it is hard news. I think she gets lazy, or she does not want to ask hard questions and possibly piss off her source. It is unlikely that CIM or any of the other involved parties are prepared to fund construction of this awesome project. There is going to have to be one or more lenders involved in a construction loan. I feel pretty certain about that. Fingers crossed it happens. The developers have certainly done an exciting job marketing this project. Now I guess it is time to wait and see.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:29 AM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:54 AM

touching self.

that 3rd street pedestrian area is giving me L I F E

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:56 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Wow.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:49 AM
World Traveler

It certainly looks like the crown is lit in that rendering. I'm a big fan of the pedestrian area as well. Does it look like they turned the rail bridge into an additional pedestrian bridge? Or is that just simplified in the rendering?

By the way, why can't all renderings be that detailed with regard to how buildings will look in their given surroundings? I think that should be a requirement...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:32 PM

Speaking of the detailed background, what is that building at 6th and West? It looks to be about the size of Austin City Lofts.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Speaking of the detailed background, what is that building at 6th and West? It looks to be about the size of Austin City Lofts.
It isn't anything. It looks like a stock image they put in there. I wouldn't pay much mind to the details surrounding the building. They aren't entirely accurate. Ballet Austin is a parking lot in this rendering.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:15 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
touching self.

that 3rd street pedestrian area is giving me L I F E
Aside: are you gay? I'm gay, too, and thought I was probably the only one on here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin