HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Sorry Winnipeg. Didn't mean to steal him away from you.

I'm damned curious to see how the pre-season rankings end up this year. Growing consensus seems to be Anaheim and Calgary competing for the division this year, with Edmonton as a possible dark horse. The rest of the division is a joke at this point unless LA rebounds significantly.
It sucks, but not entirely sure I would have wanted Frolik for that term anyways. Sure the argument exists he could always be traded, and the Jets sans Frolik aren't as good on paper as the Jets with Frolik... and there is no denying you guys got a great price on him, which was way lower than I thought he'd fetch. But the Jets have some prospects ready to make the jump. I don't think Burmistrov will be enough to offset the loss of Frolik, but perhaps if Ehlers and Armia or Petan can make the jump, we'll be ok, growing pains aside. This provides an opportunity to give some of these guys a chance to squeeze into the lineup, and gives us more flexibility for our cap and team considering the next few years are important for the young prospects to come up.

You guys will love him though. Still bummed we couldn't retain him but I understand why jets management wasn't willing to spend too much for him nor sign him to that long term he was looking for.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:23 PM

Lou Lamoriello is the new Leafs GM - that came out of nowhere

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:27 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Made me spit my coffee...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:36 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieflowerpot View Post
lou lamoriello is the new leafs gm - that came out of nowhere
whaaaaa????

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:48 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I'm interested to hear the rationale behind this move. It seemed as though the Shanahan - Dubas - Hunter triumvirate was happy running things in the absence of a named GM, and it was certainly appearing as though any GM named would essentially be a puppet or figurehead. Lou doesn't seem to fit that profile.

I wonder if Lou is going to buy in to the "Moneypuck" philosophy as well?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:01 PM
arf

Not really expected, but it fits the mold of hire the best name they can find for whatever position they are trying to fill.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 6:14 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Glendale (AZ) council to vote Friday on an amended arena agreement with the Coyotes.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...al-resolution/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Glendale (AZ) council to vote Friday on an amended arena agreement with the Coyotes.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...al-resolution/
If approved the lease would run out prior to the 2017-2018 season; the NHL's 100th anniversary and the year being aimed at for expansion and relocation.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:11 PM
arf

^In my best church lady voice..."well isn't that convenient."

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:29 PM
More transit please

Hopefully the Panthers are next to move... Unless the NHL thinks this is acceptable:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/im...00&h=1500&q=85

I don't wish an expansion... The talent is already scattered enough between 30 teams, no need to add two more... Some teams simply need to be moved.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:29 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
I don't wish an expansion... The talent is already scattered enough between 30 teams, no need to add two more... Some teams simply need to be moved.
I respectfully disagree. More than anything I want to see the league flourish everywhere in all it's current markets and then expand. Talent has never been better, there is no danger in watering it down.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:34 PM
More transit please

^I respect your opinion.

Semin in Montreal, never thought I'd see this one... At 1.1 mil he's a steal though, and if he produces like a 4th liner he'll be paid like one... Still has one of the sickest shots in the league. With Pacio he'll form the sniper line

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I respectfully disagree. More than anything I want to see the league flourish everywhere in all it's current markets and then expand. Talent has never been better, there is no danger in watering it down.
Then I guess most of the talent is on the defensive side as the goals scored per game continues to drop. With expansion teams coming in, you can bet that'll force more teams (expansion teams and teams that lost offensive players in the expansion draft) to adopt an even more defensive style in order to compete.

I think it doesn't nothing but water down the league.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:26 AM
Home of Hyperchange

There are more players turning pro, by an order of magnitude, than there were 30 years ago. The KHL alone could fill several more NHL teams. There's more than enough talent for expansion. Back when we had 20 teams, guys used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, get hammered after every win, and spend most of the off-season lying around. These days they're all hyper-trained from birth and work 12 months of the year. And there are 100x as many players trying to make the big leagues. It used to only be small-town Canadian kids, now we have an entire continent (hell, northern hemisphere) working their asses off.

Goal scoring is down because goalies are armored like tanks, coaches have been preaching defense-first for a generation, and players are all 200+ lbs. It's certainly not due to lack of talent.

Plenty of NHL veterans agree - your average 3rd liner today would dominate the NHL of the 1970s.

Last edited by freeweed; Jul 28, 2015 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:41 PM

Trade alert!

Canucks trade Bonino and Clandening to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter. Only know Sutter scored 21 goals last year and is grittier and bigger than Bonino. Anybody know more about him?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:00 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Trade alert!

Canucks trade Bonino and Clandening to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter. Only know Sutter scored 21 goals last year and is grittier and bigger than Bonino. Anybody know more about him?
He's your typical 3rd line center. Has good offensive talent.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
He's your typical 3rd line center. Has good offensive talent.
Everybody here hates this trade but Bonino was starting to look like Mason Raymond out there (physically very weak). If we get 20 goals from him on the 3rd line, I will be happy with that. Horvat's our new 2nd center.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:44 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Everybody here hates this trade but Bonino was starting to look like Mason Raymond out there (physically very weak). If we get 20 goals from him on the 3rd line, I will be happy with that. Horvat's our new 2nd center.
And 39 pts is not a lot for a 2nd center...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
The part of the trade I don't like was the inclusion of Clendening. Benning traded away the rights to Forsling (Top scoring D-man at the World Juniors) to get Clendening, and now he's gone. And don't forget that Bonino was supposed to be "the big return" from the Kesler trade. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't sold on Bonino either -- but the valuation of assets in the Canucks' organization seems a bit odd.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:41 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Bonino is about on the same level offensively as Sutter, maybe slightly less though I hear he has a pretty good wrist shot but he's more on the softer side. Sutter however, is a possession blackhole. The guy also made Malkin look bad in their time playing together on the same line at even strength.

They both produced less then when they were on separate lines and they got scored on more! Makes no sense on the face of it but the numbers reflect that. But to Sutter's credit he's a fairly good PK guy and a decent faceoff man. I can't really say who's the better player since while I've seen a fair bit of Sutter, I haven't seen much of Bonino.

But when you consider that Sutter is going to be a UFA who's probably going to get over paid for his skill set at the end of the year compared to Bonino who's signed for another year at nearly half Sutter's current cost and that Vancouver then added to make the deal happen, I don't see how you can't see it as an overpayment.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada