HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I think they should just expand on/at the existing SRC... keep it centralized rather than spread things across campus.

Re: PE West. When I was a freshman at ASU (1997) they had just torn down one of the PE West buildings (the one closest to the MU). That lot sat vacant for my remaining years at ASU. I'm not sure what is there now, but it seems like that is too small of an area. And I would hope they don't tear down any more of the PE buildings, whatever is left. I seem to remember that was where the gymnastics teams practiced (?) or at least some dance troupes (?). But it was a fairly cool old school gym. I even had an archery class in the PE West building. It was pretty cool shooting targets across the basketball court.
It was a temporary office/ trailer for bus employees. If you look at Google Maps Satelite view the MU Dock Expansion just finished. Doesn't make much sense since it was much space allocated for them. I'm assuming now that the rest of it will turn into bike parking space. The gymnastics/ dance is PE East. That one for sure won't go. PE West is older and has some interesting stuff like the old scoreboard when back in the day ASC was called the Bulldogs. I think they do need to build the North one if the demand from students exceeds until 1am just to have a pickup game and what not.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
It was a temporary office/ trailer for bus employees. If you look at Google Maps Satelite view the MU Dock Expansion just finished. Doesn't make much sense since it was much space allocated for them. I'm assuming now that the rest of it will turn into bike parking space. The gymnastics/ dance is PE East. That one for sure won't go. PE West is older and has some interesting stuff like the old scoreboard when back in the day ASC was called the Bulldogs. I think they do need to build the North one if the demand from students exceeds until 1am just to have a pickup game and what not.
What's going on at the MU? Dock expansion, meaning for trucks and what not? I'm looking at the satellite view and it looks like there's a semi-circular concrete slab on the old open empty piece of land just east of the MU (where some part of PE West used to be). What is that?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:26 AM

I was on campus today, and they just reopened that part, it seems to me like its a walkway to get from the southside of the MU to Orange Mall, and points north. i know students would get in the way trying to cut through the loading dock.

They also fenced off the Business fountain, i think thats for landscaping though. but a lot seems to be going down there.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
I was on campus today, and they just reopened that part, it seems to me like its a walkway to get from the southside of the MU to Orange Mall, and points north. i know students would get in the way trying to cut through the loading dock.

They also fenced off the Business fountain, i think thats for landscaping though. but a lot seems to be going down there.
The fountain is fences off because they are changing the drainage. The current drainage for the entire lowered sections goes under the tennis courts and the SRC fields. They are redirecting the drainage due to the fact that the new business building is planned to replace the tennis courts. This is to allow the constriction for that building.

Or that is at least why my brother and I have figured out. He works for the SRC and verified the part about the drainage. I just connected the dots for the rest of it.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:18 PM

How serious is this New Business building that would be at SRC tennis courts? I noticed a blog posted some photos of the building but ASU took down their link to the project. If it was to be built with the SRC Expansion it would significantly reduce available tennis courts down quite a bit for students.

On other news I noticed a couple weeks before the semester ended that there was so remodeling going on at the Brickyard's Borders. Any word on what's going on there? Even bumped into this today http://labs.asu.edu/project/asu-temp...d-construction

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:44 PM

The corner of 4th and Mill where Sammy's was and before that a Vietnamese place, and before that a pizza place, and before that, etc etc etc is now going to be a place called Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

From their Facebook page: Fuzzy's Taco Shop is a fast casual restaurant with a Baja inspired menu including breakfast burritos, big salads, fish tacos, sandwiches, cold beer and great margaritas. Great for the family, business lunch or going to meet friends!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuzzys...79460342100684

http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com/index.html

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:47 PM

I heard this but haven't been able to confirm yet that the city is moving the antennas from the top of A Mountain to the top of West 6th (which was always the plan even back in the Centerpoint days). The city is going to repair the steps to the summit of A Mountain and build a 200 square foot observation platform on top.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:25 PM

/\ That sounds great.

Now if they could remove the unsightly water tanks that scar every butte in Tempe, we'd really be on to something.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post
I heard this but haven't been able to confirm yet that the city is moving the antennas from the top of A Mountain to the top of West 6th (which was always the plan even back in the Centerpoint days). The city is going to repair the steps to the summit of A Mountain and build a 200 square foot observation platform on top.
I remember reading an article about that many months ago...should eventually happen now that that project is moving forward yet again.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:14 AM

EVT article on A Mountain

Quote:
Tempe Butte gets on register of historic places

Associated Press - May 17, 2011 7:34 AM ET

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - A desert hill in Tempe that towers over Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.

The East Valley Tribune reports that Tempe Butte joins more than 40 other Tempe buildings and places on the national register.

The butte is where the Hohokam Indians lived thousands of years ago.

It is Tempe's highest geographic point and a popular destination for hikers today.

The appearance of the butte will change later this year when Tempe plans to remove its communication towers and relocate them.

Tempe also plans to build a 200-square-foot observation deck at the butte's top and repair steps leading to the summit. Those projects aren't yet funded.
Hopefully now with the Historic designation this means that the 'A' gets the protection that it needs from those uofa students/fans. I would be fine with the tradition only if we were able to get to their without being reprehended by officials.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 6:07 PM

Anyone have a rendering of the new deck?

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 1:52 AM

Tempe Photos 5/24/11

Hi Everyone, I have some photos I want to share with you all. I was trying to post them directly on here and was becoming increasingly frustrated with the process. SO... I'm going to just leave a link to my Flickr page.

The pictures include shots of the new Encore on Farmer project- which is moving FAST, some shots of West Sixth- as seen from Chase Parking Tower 2, and also some pics of the beautiful new pedestrian bridge at the west end of Town Lake. I talked to a staffer at the Tempe Center for the Arts the other day and they said the bridge should be complete by mid/ late July. Can't wait!

Enjoy the pictures.
Ben

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63271296@N07/

Last edited by TempeSilverFox; May 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:08 AM

Great photos TempeSilverFox. I'd suggest for some photos of ASU's Health Services. That expansion project is really picking up steam right now.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the update, Silverfox.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:31 PM
them bones

That pedestrian bridge is a total eye-catcher.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:42 PM

http://youtu.be/p5XZWm8CUtc

Video of the transportation of the second section.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 3:04 PM
BANNED

I'm very impressed by the pedestrian bridge. Looks great!

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:08 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
when is the pedestrian bridge expected to be complete? I'm going to be home for a visit in September and hope its done by then so I can take a jaunt across it or at least see it.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:32 PM

From the AZ Republic today... they finally sold the land where Mosaic was supposed to go...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ength0527.html

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
when is the pedestrian bridge expected to be complete? I'm going to be home for a visit in September and hope its done by then so I can take a jaunt across it or at least see it.
It'll hopefully be done by August barring no setbacks. IDK why they took so long to get it going. It was suppose to start like February and would of been completed this month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest