HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:25 PM

Here you go...

Quote:
Avenue Communities LLC gives Mortgages Ltd. ultimatum: Settle or face lawsuit
Phoenix Business Journal - by Jan Buchholz Phoenix Business Journal

The developers of the massive Centerpoint mixed-use project in downtown Tempe said this week they can't -- and won't -- wait any longer for additional financing while its primary lender on the $200 million project works its way through Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Ken Losch, principal of Avenue Communities LLC, confirmed about $24 million in liens have been filed on the project by unpaid subcontractors. Losch said he has numerous lenders who want to help finish Centerpoint, contingent on Avenue Communities working out a settlement with Mortgages Ltd. That likely will require the beleaguered Phoenix commercial real estate lender to subordinate its two existing loans totaling nearly $132 million.

"Look, we've got an asset with a retail value of over $300 million," Losch said. "We don't have a lender problem. We have an authority problem. (Mortgages Ltd.) needs to make this happen now, or it's going to face large losses (because of) apathy and indecision."

Avenue Communities wants Mortgages Ltd. to file a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to allow the developer to secure outside financing immediately to finish its project.

"We've been very patient, and our patience is now finished. We want to be bifurcated from that process," said Losch. "We have a hard schedule that we want Mortgages Ltd. to meet so we can go down our own separate road. If it's not adhered to, we will file a lawsuit."

In essence, Centerpoint wants to be separated from the gridlock of intersecting and sometimes conflicting interests that have emerged in the complicated Mortgages Ltd. bankruptcy case.

Avenue's ability to secure an additional $75 million now to finish the high-rise residential and retail project is crucial, company officials said.

Work has come to a standstill on the two towers, retail space and public plaza. The project is largely finished, but still needs extensive interior and landscaping work.

Attorney Carolyn Johnsen of Jennings Strouss & Salmon PLC, the bankruptcy counsel hired by Mortgages Ltd., confirmed that the lender's new president, Richard Feldheim, has been in discussions this week with Centerpoint to resolve issues surrounding the loans and construction delays.

"Both parties left with tasks to do. I'm not at liberty to discuss that, but they are exploring possibilities," Johnsen said.

She was a bit less optimistic about meeting Centerpoint's deadlines, which Losch said he is not ready to disclose.

"Whether we can meet that timeline ... that might not be doable," she said.

Three other Valley developers have claimed -- either in separate lawsuits or through motions with U.S. Bankruptcy Court -- that their projects were never funded to the degree promised by Mortgages Ltd. Avenue Communities is the fourth to make that assertion.

Although problems with disgruntled borrowers began in late spring, Mortgages Ltd.'s financial difficulties were exacerbated by the suicide of the company's chairman and sole shareholder, Scott M. Coles. He was found dead June 2 at his Camelback Mountain home.

Since then, developer Grace Communities forced Mortgages Ltd. into Chapter 11 with support from another developer and Mortgages Ltd. customer, Rightpath Limited Development Co.

KML Development, which has two projects that were supposed to be funded by Mortgages Ltd., recently filed a motion asking U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Randolph Haines to appoint a Chapter 11 trustee to the case. KML's attorney argued in court documents that the current Mortgages Ltd. management and counsel cannot adequately represent all interests in the case, which includes more than 4,500 investors, various borrowers, creditors, heirs of the estate and the lender's employees. That hearing has been scheduled for Aug. 21.

An Aug. 6 hearing still is on, according to Johnsen, primarily to discuss resuming payments to investors who had become accustomed to receiving monthly checks from Mortgages Ltd., but were shut out of interest payments when the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case was filed in late June.

Don Gaffney, an attorney with Phoenix law firm Snell & Wilmer LLP who represents Grace Communities, was unaware of Centerpoint's attempts to separate itself from other Mortgage Ltd. borrowers, but he is not opposed to it.

"There are a lot of different ways this (bankruptcy) could be approached," he said. "It could be separated borrower by borrower and project by project. That could make a lot of sense."

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
There appears to be a large off-site staging area being used for a construction site somewhere nearby. There are a variety of trucks and a whole lot of steel.

The site is under the 202, on the north side of the lake, between the Mill Ave. bridges. Anybody know where this might be going?

i believe this is actually for work on the 202 Red Mtn Fwy expansion. they are
revamping the bridge over Mill first; then ADOT will start with the rest of the widening project, basically betw. the 101 and the 51.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 2:38 AM
BANNED

so what is up with Onyx?

There is a building on the north side of the river, next to In-N-Out that is about 6 stories and tan... It says Onyx on it. Did they scale it back that much?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:53 AM

More about Centerpoint and Mortgages LTD.

I'm really hoping that the Hotel Monroe projects can get some financing thrown their way as well...that was such a great project downtown.

Quote:
Mortgages Ltd. to offer Tempe development more funding

by Andrew Johnson - Aug. 1, 2008 07:23 PM
The Arizona Republic

Bankrupt real-estate lender Mortgages Ltd. is working on a plan to provide more financing to the developer of the Centerpoint condominium towers in downtown Tempe.

About $4.5 million in initial financing would allow Avenue Communities LLC to protect the partially complete high-rises from rain, wind and other external elements, according to Carolyn Johnsen, Mortgages Ltd.'s attorney.

Such a move would protect the value of the asset for both the developer and investors who gave Mortgages Ltd. the money to lend to the project.

Centerpoint is one of several Valley real-estate developments financed by Mortgages Ltd. Construction on some projects that have stopped since the Phoenix-based firm was forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June.

Work on the two Centerpoint towers never fully stopped, but slowed, according to developer Ken Losch.

Avenue Communities received about $120 million of a $150 million loan commitment made by Mortgages Ltd.

Losch, who declined through a spokesman to comment for this story, has said he needs $75 million to finish both towers.

Mortgages Ltd.'s plan to extend $4.5 million to Centerpoint is part of an initial offering that would likely include more funding in the future, Johnsen said. The money would come from another lender, unnamed Friday afternoon.

Johnsen said it was possible the company would file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court this weekend outlining the details.

Centerpoint consists of a nearly finished 22-story building with 171 condos and a 30-story tower with 186 condos. A press release Avenue Communities issued Friday said the company expected the first tower to open within two to three months of finalizing a loan agreement with Mortgages Ltd. and the second tower to open six months later.

Other developments put in jeopardy by Mortgages Ltd.'s financial woes include Hotel Monroe in downtown Phoenix and the Chateaux on Central mini-mansions in central Phoenix.

Mortgages Ltd. has been meeting with other lenders who would give the company interim financing it would use to continue funding loans on some of those projects.

The financing is an important issue to Mortgages Ltd.'s nearly 3,000 investors, who own beneficial interests in the notes and deeds of trust on the projects.

Cathy Reece, an attorney representing an investors committee in the bankruptcy, said committee members have agreed to subordinate their position on the Centerpoint loan to the new lender. That means the new lender would be paid back before investors when the project is completed.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
so what is up with Onyx?

There is a building on the north side of the river, next to In-N-Out that is about 6 stories and tan... It says Onyx on it. Did they scale it back that much?
Naw that is not Onyx, it's just an advertisement for the real building which will be 26 stories tall built on the east side of Rural on the river. They say construction should be starting soon but who knows.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 5:07 PM

Centerpoint - man this is a lousy, lousy time to be looking for 75 million bucks to finish a residential project, much less getting the Mortgages, Ltd. people to subordinate so they can even go looking for the money. I think this is just bad news all around...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 5:28 PM
Dbacks baby!

Eh...Centerpoint will be fine. They will get the funding needed to complete the project somewhere.

I'm not running around pulling my hair out on this one. I am by there almost everyday, and there is still plenty of activity going on at the site. It's not just sitting idle.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 5:40 PM

There's something off with the Centerpoint numbers:

"Avenue Communities received about $120 million of a $150 million loan commitment made by Mortgages Ltd.

Losch, who declined through a spokesman to comment for this story, has said he needs $75 million to finish both towers."

Okay, so Mortgages, Ltd. actually shorted Avenue Communities $30 million, according to the first sentence. But, the second sentence says that Avenue Communities needs another $45 million to finish the project, on top of the $30 million shortfall from Mortgages, Ltd.

In other words, Avenue Communities would be facing a problem regardless of whether Mortgages, Ltd. had fully funded their obligation. That's what this seems like to me, unless these numbers aren't correct.

--don

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 8:45 PM

Another Ave Communities Project

Wow, I thoughtwith Centerpoint not done yet they'll focus on it. But now they got another project. And it says the first tower will be done by the end of the year.

http://www.globest.com/news/1213_121.../172935-1.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 9:37 PM

In the article it says the project is at 31 E Fifth St. I don't understand because the flour mill is on Mill and 3rd???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2001 View Post
Wow, I thoughtwith Centerpoint not done yet they'll focus on it. But now they got another project. And it says the first tower will be done by the end of the year.

http://www.globest.com/news/1213_121.../172935-1.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:13 PM

More condo-conversion projects reverting to rentals

Here's a not-so-shocking article from the local paper.

Quote:
More condo-conversion projects reverting to rentals

by Marjon Rostami - Aug. 12, 2008 02:50 PM
The Arizona Republic
Since the first quarter of 2007, more than two-thirds of condominium-conversion projects in Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert have reverted to rental properties, according to Mark Taylor, a development company in Scottsdale that tracks condo conversions by region.

"The condo-conversion market peaked in 2006 and it pretty much died quickly in the first quarter of 2007," said John Carlson, an asset manager for Mark Taylor. "Part of it was that the Valley experienced units converting at the same time and the demand just couldn't meet the exposure. On top of that, 2006 was a hot market for single-family homes."

Last year, 20 out of the 28 projects that had converted to condos reconverted to rentals in some capacity, Carlson said.

As the real-estate market collapsed, vacant condos motivated investors to make the switch back to rentals, Carlson said. In most cases, investors were the ones that bought into the condo-conversion market, not individuals.

"The condo market is cyclical," Carlson said. "It makes sense right now if someone is looking to build apartments to rent them out as apartments until the market comes back for condos. What we're seeing right now doesn't mean there won't be a market for condos in the future."

When owning a single-family house is just out of reach, Southeast Valley residents turn to luxury-apartment rentals, said Kent Chantung, a developer with Zaremba Group. A few years ago, that same demographic would have turned to condos.
I wish there were more apartments with granite countertops back when I was renting.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:17 PM

The condo conversion "fad" if you will always perplexed me. At the end of the day, you still live in a shitty garden apartment complex. Sure, you're the owner rather than the renter, but they are just so unattractive on many levels.

The funny thing about it is I can remember back in 2005, at the height of the housing market boom, I was at the gym in Scottsdale. There were these two "Scottsdale type" guys working out, and one was telling the other one how he bought 5 condos (condo conversions) and won't have any problem selling them for a huge profit. He was even planning on buying as many as he could and he was convincing his friend to do the same. I wonder where that guy is now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:12 AM

I'm sure there were several of "that guy" but I seriously think I may know who you are talking about....
Shorter guy balding?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 5:55 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
a stupid question...

...Whatever happened to the Bruder designed ASU Arts and Business Gateway project? Is that dead? I've been down in Tempe the last few days looking for places and its just crazy how under utilized such a prime piece of land is.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
I'm sure there were several of "that guy" but I seriously think I may know who you are talking about....
Shorter guy balding?

I can't remember exactly what he looked like... kind of choad-ish $30,000-millionaire scottsdale club guy.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The condo conversion "fad" if you will always perplexed me. At the end of the day, you still live in a shitty garden apartment complex. Sure, you're the owner rather than the renter, but they are just so unattractive on many levels.
It was a relatively affordable way to get into home-ownership. It definitely sucks as a place to live but I think it made sense for some people who were desperate to get into a place of their own no matter what it looked like.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I can't remember exactly what he looked like... kind of choad-ish $30,000-millionaire scottsdale club guy.
I think we owe "that guy" and his buddies a big thank you. Thank you for reminding us why it's great to live in downtown/central Phoenix (and not Scottsdale).

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 7:54 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
...Whatever happened to the Bruder designed ASU Arts and Business Gateway project? Is that dead? I've been down in Tempe the last few days looking for places and its just crazy how under utilized such a prime piece of land is.
Yeah...I think that project is dead...or put on hold for a very long time.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 6:20 PM

This is a bit interesting. I'm not sure what the date is regarding this.

http://www.gebre-apts.com/adminAcces...20brochure.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:37 AM
Skyriser

^ Its a lot for sale. There's no project to it.

I have a "LAND FOR SALE" postcard for a 1/2 acre higrise site down the road from my place in Phoenix...why they sent it to me I have no idea. Nothing but a walled away and miserable 3000 sqft office building on the site today.

Asking price: $1.8 million.

It's an ugly bearing for nothing getting developed for a while. Tempe should get used to a vacant lot problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest