HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:46 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Hmmph! That did NOT have to happen!!!

Nothing worse than losing to smirking Edmonton sports teams.

Go Bo!
#neverstamps

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:55 AM

Will be a great game in Calgary. Go Eskimos.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:55 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The four teams that are left are the four teams I like the least in the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:59 AM
Community Guy

Great game by the Eskimos. Tons of options/threats.

Bring it on!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The four teams that are left are the four teams I like the least in the CFL.
Me too, but I'm gonna cheer for the Argos, they need the support.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 3:57 AM

I hate to say it but not at all an unexpected outcome for the Bombers. They just kind of meekly backed into the playoffs... they simply did not look like a team ready for prime time. Edmonton on the other hand was finding open men left and right, while playing Bomber receivers tight and giving little leeway. I remember thinking at the half that the score flattered the Bombers a bit and the second half bore that out.

Edmonton looked hot... I think Calgary will have its hands full next week.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:57 PM

...and ICYMI

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 11:50 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hate to say it but not at all an unexpected outcome for the Bombers. They just kind of meekly backed into the playoffs... they simply did not look like a team ready for prime time. Edmonton on the other hand was finding open men left and right, while playing Bomber receivers tight and giving little leeway. I remember thinking at the half that the score flattered the Bombers a bit and the second half bore that out.

Edmonton looked hot... I think Calgary will have its hands full next week.
A lot of injuries sealed the Bombers’ fate. Edmonton isn’t that great but Calgary isn’t more than an average side at the moment. I still feel that Bo Levi will come through, though. I feel fairly confident of a Toronto vs. Calgary Grey Cup.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 12:06 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton-Toronto

That said, this will be a great Western Final. GO ESKS GO!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
A lot of injuries sealed the Bombers’ fate. Edmonton isn’t that great but Calgary isn’t more than an average side at the moment. I still feel that Bo Levi will come through, though. I feel fairly confident of a Toronto vs. Calgary Grey Cup.
Reasonable take. Edmonton is sizzling but when the Stampeders are firing on all cylinders, look out. I guess it comes down to whether Calgary can get out of their funk. They have a well-earned reputation for folding like a cheap suit come November as well.

I think Edmonton really has something special going on... that Zylstra kid is amazing.

If I were a betting man I'd go with cold's prediction. Edmonton in the west, and I think the Argos will squeak out of the east.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:29 AM
Community Guy

Esks 37 - Stamps 35

----

Esks 42 - Argos 17

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:12 PM

Argos announced they are over over 20K tickets sold

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/11/15/...eastern-final/

Can they sell out?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:21 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Argos announced they are over over 20K tickets sold

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/11/15/...eastern-final/

Can they sell out?
Football capacity is 25,000 so its possible; and wonderful for the organization/fans. One would have to go back many years to when the Argonauts sold out a playoff game. Did it ever happen at Skydome?

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 15, 2017 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Football capacity is 25,000 so its possible; and wonderful for the organization/fans. One would have to go back many years to when the Argonauts sold out a playoff game. Did it ever happen at Skydome?
You might recall earlier I had posted that the Argos management announced that attendance would be derived from scanned tickets. So whatever they announce, good or bad, that's how many are there.

Can we assume that there are 5k or so more people (hopefully more) that deem this as something worth seeing. Does this mean that there is still a potential audience out there and they're not as dead as some of the trolls want us to believe.

Could the situation be similar to Ottawa where apathy with the younger audience wasn't a bad thing because it wasn't bad branding. It was just no brand, and that could be rebuilt (according to Jeff Hunt).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You might recall earlier I had posted that the Argos management announced that attendance would be derived from scanned tickets. So whatever they announce, good or bad, that's how many are there.

Can we assume that there are 5k or so more people (hopefully more) that deem this as something worth seeing. Does this mean that there is still a potential audience out there and they're not as dead as some of the trolls want us to believe.

Could the situation be similar to Ottawa where apathy with the younger audience wasn't a bad thing because it wasn't bad branding. It was just no brand, and that could be rebuilt (according to Jeff Hunt).
Lets hope so......hopefully they tailgate, have fun, cheer/yell, get to see a great game (Argos win maybe) and then want to come back?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:07 PM
The New Republic

^^ Tailgate ticket is $30 so reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

I'd rather not focus on negative people so don't want to get into that at all. The statement put out by the Argonauts said that there were still 5 days to go so I'm assuming the 20,000 tickets level was reached by Monday night/Tuesday morning. That's plenty of time to sell the remaining 5,000 seats.

There are always people who wait to the last minute to buy and/or climb aboard if it's going to be a big crowd. Even if this falls short of a sell out and we end up with 23,000 at BMO it's going to have great atmosphere. That's more than 90% full and this will be the first playoff game at BMO Field for the franchise.

I have my tickets and going with a great group of guys. It's a guaranteed good time for me so I'm happy as a clam.

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not focus on negative people so don't want to get into that at all. The statement put out by the Argonauts said that there were still 5 days to go so I'm assuming the 20,000 tickets level was reached by Monday night/Tuesday morning. That's plenty of time to sell the remaining 5,000 seats.

There are always people who wait to the last minute to buy and/or climb aboard if it's going to be a big crowd. Even if this falls short of a sell out and we end up with 23,000 at BMO it's going to have great atmosphere. That's more than 90% full and this will be the first playoff game at BMO Field for the franchise.

I have my tickets and going with a great group of guys. It's a guaranteed good time for me so I'm happy as a clam.
I think SK fans will pick up any remaining seats. Should be a great game.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I don't recall the Argos ever selling out a playoff game at Skydome (excluding Grey Cup games), although they had a near sellout with just over 50,000 at the 1991 East Final vs. Winnipeg.

The Argos typically did draw relatively well for playoff games at Skydome, though... it was not uncommon for there to be over 30,000 fans at those games.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:26 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I think SK fans will pick up any remaining seats. Should be a great game.
There was an article on CBC.ca about Rider fans making the trek. Gotta love them.

Quote:
Riderville hits the road: The cost of following the Riders to Toronto this weekend

Donna Hodel, a lifelong Roughrider fan from Regina, is heading to Toronto on Saturday with her husband to attend the game. She said she was busy booking flights and buying their tickets right after the team's big win on Sunday. "It is a lot of money but we decided why not. It's once in a lifetime."

"It's my birthday actually on the 19th and [my husband] said 'What do you want for your birthday?' Like everybody, we got enough stuff. And I said, 'Well, we could go to Toronto for the final if the Riders win' and so it was kind of a no brainer."

The couple paid $185 for two seats right behind the Rider bench, but Hodel said they aren't the most intense football fans they know. In fact, one of her friends is flying in from Italy for the game. "She makes me look like a part-time fan," Hodel said, laughing.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...kend-1.4400257

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:32 PM

As was posted in the ratings thread the ESF and WSF rated really well. Somewhat surprising for me and a good omen this year for what is to follow. It would be really good for the league if the Argos can gain some momentum, not necessarily win but just be a positive experience for their fans.

In other news, "sports streaming service DAZN has appointed former CFL director of communications Paulo Senra as its head of PR. Senra will work with the DAZN marketing and PR teams from other global markets as the streamer looks to build its brand in the Canadian market".

I think Commish Ambrosie can take advantage of this in more than one way. One, by having an "in" at DAZN and two, I'm not really sure how well of a fit Senra was for the CFL. I am confident the commish will find someone who might be a better fit for the league.

Last edited by elly63; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada