HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
This video is beautiful. It's absolutely astounding how much DTLA has transformed since 2012 when I first starting posting here.

South Park is starting to remind me of Yaletown in Vancouver, and I mean that as a very good thing.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
This video is beautiful. It's absolutely astounding how much DTLA has transformed since 2012 when I first starting posting here.

South Park is starting to remind me of Yaletown in Vancouver, and I mean that as a very good thing.
Totally agreed!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Gehry was chosen to design the new Colburn School expansion. Disney Hall is DTLA's crown jewel, but Grand Ave is turning into Gehryland. At the same time, he's 89. So we may be getting among the last of his buildings before retirement.
didn't know what you were talking about til I looked it up....official announcement about it just came out.

I've heard talk for awhile about some type of new concert venue being planned by gehry, but I wasn't sure who or what it involved. now I know. hard to believe how much time has passed & his current age. knowing how long it is to get things completed, certainly when fundraising is required, makes it iffy whether the proposal should be on the front or back burner.

next question: when oh when will the tinker toy be torn down?!

Quote:

Frank Gehry has been selected to design a campus extension for the Colburn School, including an 1,100-seat concert hall that will further expand the Grand Avenue arts corridor in downtown Los Angeles.

The project, to be announced Wednesday by Colburn President and CEO Sel Kardan, also includes a 700-seat studio theater for dance and vocal performance, a 100-seat theater for smaller-scale and experimental work, as well as classrooms, dance studios, an outdoor performance area and housing for students and guest artists.

The project will be built between Olive and Hill streets near 2nd Street and will result in three consecutive blocks of Gehry designs downtown. The architect's Walt Disney Concert Hall is slated to be joined by a residential, retail and restaurant development across the street called the Grand, rising where the much-maligned "Tinker Toy" parking structure stands; the new Colburn venues are planned one block farther down Bunker Hill, on a site used as a parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:23 PM

meanwhile, a few miles to the southwest of bunker hill....

Lobby of the lucas reminds me of a larger version of the broad museum, with its glass elevators & rounded, cave like ceilings.

Quote:
Lucas Museum of Narrative Art Breaks Ground

Courtesy of MAD Architects

Courtesy of MAD Architects

Surrounded by elected officials and his old friend Steven Spielberg, George Lucas presented the clearest vision to date of the new Lucas Museum of Narrative Art at a groundbreaking ceremony held at Los Angeles’ Exposition Park where the billion-dollar, space-age-like structure is set to rise.

“Yes this is an art museum, but I’m trying to position it as an anthropological museum,” said Lucas in his remarks made to several hundred people on hand, including surprise guest Spielberg who was seated in the front row. “In my feeling popular art is an insight into a society and what they aspire to be; what they really want and what they really are — it is telling the narrative of their story, their history and their belief system.”

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Lobby of the lucas reminds me of a larger version of the broad museum, with its glass elevators & rounded, cave like ceilings.
Yansong studied at Yale. So his primary inspiration might be Saarinen's TWA terminal.

Saarinen himself drew inspiration from the biomorphism of Gaudi.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 9:56 PM

This is his firm's Opera House to get a feel for the material he's probably going to use and what the space might feel like.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:52 PM

Wasn't the Colburn expansion plot originally supposed to be used for the final phase of Related's Grand Ave project?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Wasn't the Colburn expansion plot originally supposed to be used for the final phase of Related's Grand Ave project?
I believe the land they'll be using is on the southside of the block. the north side is where the related proj will be located.

the school did a video showing what's currently on the land. That property has been a deadzone, inc the nearby tinker toy parking structure, for over 50 yrs. Change is long overdue & greatly needed.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:29 AM

OK, I had to do some digging to find the answer to my question. The plot of land that the Colburn expansion is on is known as parcel W-1, and it along with the adjacent parcel W-2 were originally designated for Phase 3 of the Grand Avenue project. However, it was not owned by the County, and Related had intended to acquire at its own cost. See page 21 of this document.
http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...ra_6-16-05.pdf

It sounds like somewhere along the way W-1 was dropped from the plan and the Colburn School acquired it in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:34 PM

good thing the colburn was able to buy that site....assuming they too won't run into financial issues as the related cos has. Part of the issue is dtla still has lots of areas that need to be filled in or fixed up. however, there's only so much demand for new hotel, apt, condo, retail space....very little need for new office space.

The ppl of silicon bch still favor areas miles to the west, in venice & around westchester, culver city. other businesses are run by ppl who prefer being in sections of the LA basin closer to where they live. Not as one sided as it was yrs ago, but it still is a disadvantage.

The imbalance between hoods near the coast & areas further inland, & dtla is helped by things like this....

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
good thing the colburn was able to buy that site....assuming they too won't run into financial issues as the related cos has. Part of the issue is dtla still has lots of areas that need to be filled in or fixed up. however, there's only so much demand for new hotel, apt, condo, retail space....very little need for new office space.

The ppl of silicon bch still favor areas miles to the west, in venice & around westchester, culver city. other businesses are run by ppl who prefer being in sections of the LA basin closer to where they live. Not as one sided as it was yrs ago, but it still is a disadvantage.

The imbalance between hoods near the coast & areas further inland, & dtla is helped by things like this....

Video Link

Another reason to love L.A.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:29 PM

I feel this design fits best in LA anyway. While I don't love the location I understand from a logistics point of view it's good. In one generation LA has gone from being a cultural joke to one of the world's great centers of art.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post

South Park has probably doubled in population in the 2+ years that I’ve lived here. Walking around this morning and looking at all the construction I was just thinking that it will likely double again in the next two years. Maybe triple. The pace of growth here is pretty astounding.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I feel this design fits best in LA anyway. While I don't love the location I understand from a logistics point of view it's good. In one generation LA has gone from being a cultural joke to one of the world's great centers of art.
Hmm...Star Wars memorabilia is great art? OK, maybe. I'm happy L.A. got the museum, but what exactly will be in the museum? Will there be Indiana Jones stuff in there too?
Since the Star Wars/Lucasfilms franchise is now owned by Disney, I would love to see a lot of Disney film stuff in there too, not just Star Wars. Yes, I know SF has a "Disney Family Museum" in the Presidio, but it isn't that big. Could this can be a more comprehensive film museum, at least Disney and Lucas films?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:09 PM

This museum is great for LA. Be it your style or not, everything is not going to be for everyone. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of postcards of the museum with the city skyline in the background. To critique a masterpiece like this as if you are some great artist/architect is absurd. This is an eye catcher whether you like it or not.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Hmm...Star Wars memorabilia is great art? OK, maybe. I'm happy L.A. got the museum, but what exactly will be in the museum? Will there be Indiana Jones stuff in there too?
Since the Star Wars/Lucasfilms franchise is now owned by Disney, I would love to see a lot of Disney film stuff in there too, not just Star Wars. Yes, I know SF has a "Disney Family Museum" in the Presidio, but it isn't that big. Could this can be a more comprehensive film museum, at least Disney and Lucas films?
Last time I checked, Edgar Degas, Winslow Homer, Thomas Hart Benton, George Bellows, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Andy Warhol, Zaha Hadid, etc. undeniably qualify as "great artists". Please check the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art website and do a little research. Los Angeles has hit a another home run and we have George Lucas and his forward thinking wife to thank for this extraordinary gift.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersla View Post
Last time I checked, Edgar Degas, Winslow Homer, Thomas Hart Benton, George Bellows, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Andy Warhol, Zaha Hadid, etc. undeniably qualify as "great artists". Please check the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art website and do a little research. Los Angeles has hit a another home run and we have George Lucas and his forward thinking wife to thank for this extraordinary gift.
💯 AGREED!!! I was trying to be a little PC.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Be it your style or not, everything is not going to be for everyone.
very true, as is the case with many things.

The art critic for the LA Times has described the future Lucas as a 'treacle museum'.

as for tastemakers & their preference for modern & contemporary art, one thing about it is it's more of a stand back & get the big picture type of thing. that's why visiting the broad can be done at a faster pace than visiting a place where images will be more detailed & smaller, such as what will be displayed at the lucas.

when I visited the broad, I was impressed by everything, but my daughter wasn't.....different strokes for different folks.

George Lucas goes into fuller explanation about what he's trying to achieve.

Video Link

If ppl aren't interested in the contents, they can at least come for the experience of the bldg....

laopinion.com

shine.cn

I never take anything good for granted....

Quote:
MOCA fires its chief curator

Helen Molesworth, the chief curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art whose exhibitions have included the critically acclaimed 2017 Kerry James Marshall retrospective that was also a rare popular hit, has been fired, according to sources close to the museum. MOCA Director Philippe Vergne took the dramatic step on Monday, sources say.

Efforts to reach Molesworth were unsuccessful. MOCA responded to The Times' requests for comment with a statement Tuesday afternoon that said: "The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) and Helen Molesworth have decided to part ways due to creative differences. MOCA is grateful to Helen Molesworth for her work over the past 3 and a half years as Chief Curator at the Museum."

Opie said she called Vergne after receiving the surprise message and was told that Molesworth had not written a letter of resignation but was terminated for "undermining the museum." Opie was nonplussed.

"I think you have made a terrible mistake" by firing her, she said she told Vergne.

Firing a chief curator is highly unusual. The post is responsible for setting the museum's general artistic agenda, which had been adrift at MOCA following a lengthy period of fiscal and board turmoil marked by the 2008 departure of former director Jeremy Strick and the tumultuous four-year tenure of New York art dealer Jeffrey Deitch. For a museum of its size and international reputation, MOCA now has a small curatorial staff — just one senior curator and three assistants, in addition to the chief curator.

Last month the museum was embarrassed by the mishandling of plans for the 2018 MOCA gala honoring one of its artist board members, Mark Grotjahn. After the event was announced, Grotjahn withdrew his acceptance of the honor, citing rumblings of constituent concern about a lack of diversity among the museum's three previous gala honorees, all of whom have been straight, white men.

The gala was quietly shelved on Friday, according to a museum insider not authorized to discuss the matter, with $1.4 million in pledges set to be returned to donors

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:07 PM

^^^ The MOCA building is going to make a very cool microbrewery and Starbucks. Seriously though that museum has had problems from day one.

As for Star Wars Museum (jk), the "Lucas Museum of Narrative Art." I love the design! From an architectural stand point I just wish it had a more interesting setting. However, in all other aspects it's a great location with public transit (Expo line station) and the California Science Center and LACo Natural History Museum nearby as well as the USC campus and Memorial Coliseum.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 11:01 PM

If the little people are at accurate scale, this is going to be behemoth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations