HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 8:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Another fire on Victoria street. At this rate there won't be any buildings left in a few months.

Photo courtesy CHSJNews
Being that it's stone do you think there's any hope for it, or is it a gonner?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Victo...330.55,,0,2.14

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Being that it's stone do you think there's any hope for it, or is it a gonner?
Not sure to be honest with you. The owner is one of the more proactive in the neighbourhood. He just renovated it about two years ago after a fire previous to that, which was caused by a dryer overheating or something along those lines.

From what i've read the fire was in the basement and the first floor, along with obvious smoke damage to the second floor. I couldn't tell you at this time whether it will be salvaged or not.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 6:40 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Hopefully, being that it seems to be structurally sound, and I would guess being made of stone it probably has some sort of historical value being of higher quality than much of the neighbouring homes.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Spent a few minutes uptown this morning to get a look at the Disney Magic... but I think I wound up spending more time looking at the Prince William reconstruction and the Harbourfront residences!

Unfortunately, I didn't bring a worthy camera with me so I have no photos to share. But the end of Prince William is dramatically improved from how it looked before, and it looks like most of the buried utilities are in place so I imagine the overhead lines stuck in the middle of the widened street will be coming out soon enough.

I was able to peek into some of the unoccupied Harbourfront units that were plainly visible from Prince William. I can't imagine that visibility would be very desirable for tenants, but I suppose that's what curtains are for. The units look pretty nice.

There's an open terrace on the lower rooftop (what would be the space between the two 'towers' if the second phase of the residences were built). There seems to be a fountain under construction, and some piers that something big would be bolted down to; not sure what that's all about. Maybe Mr. Rocca could comment. There's in-built low-level lighting all around that terrace, which is a very nice touch.

The new cruise terminal is coming along swimmingly as well. While I'm not quite as on-board with the hate train for the "faux retro" design as the rest of you are, I really don't like the huge amount of pre-cast concrete around the arched windows... brick-built arches would look a thousand times better. But I suppose that's the price of budgeting.

Finally, I don't know if any of you are also marine geeks, but I really enjoy the design of the Disney Magic. It's very ocean-linery: dark hull, white superstructure, graceful sweeping lines. One of the few cruise ships I've seen with a decent-looking stern (so much easier on the eyes than the Princess Cruises' "shopping cart handle"), and the decoration on the bow is great--at a distance I thought it was simply painted on, but a closer look revealed that the artwork is actually built up with an additional layer of steel. And there's a giant statue of Goofy hanging off the stern, mocked up as though he's touching up the paint. Charming.
The work yet to be completed on that plaza is two light standards, two steel trees for seasonal decoration and an obelisk[for a reason I cannot disclose at this time]. In addition, the entire concrete surface of the plaza will be decorated in two colors using a product called 'Jewel stone". Next time you are in Pizza Hut, look at their floors and that's Jewel stone. It's a great product because it allows you to match the floor with the rest of the the decor.The Toronto Maple Leafs have it on their wall of their executive offices and B&N Flooring,West side, have two example in and around their kitchen diplay.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocca View Post
The work yet to be completed on that plaza is two light standards, two steel trees for seasonal decoration and an obelisk[for a reason I cannot disclose at this time]. In addition, the entire concrete surface of the plaza will be decorated in two colors using a product called 'Jewel stone". Next time you are in Pizza Hut, look at their floors and that's Jewel stone. It's a great product because it allows you to match the floor with the rest of the the decor.The Toronto Maple Leafs have it on their wall of their executive offices and B&N Flooring,West side, have two example in and around their kitchen diplay.
Neat, thanks for the response! I figured it'd be lights or some sort of awning, given the heavy bolts.

The site is looking excellent; it's a great modern breath of fresh air for the area and the street reconstruction on the Prince William side was just icing on the cake.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:56 AM

It seems that Lounsbury Furniture will set up shop in Saint John

http://static.canadaeast.com/stage/l...d1/splash.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:56 PM

Does anyone know if a new contractor was found for the One Mile House Interchange? I saw a couple of workers on it this morning.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
It seems that Lounsbury Furniture will set up shop in Saint John

http://static.canadaeast.com/stage/l...d1/splash.html
I wonder where they will be located?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Does anyone know if a new contractor was found for the One Mile House Interchange? I saw a couple of workers on it this morning.
You are correct, they reached a new deal to resume construction with 'Horseshoe Hill Construction', a new company made up of senior people from the now-bankrupt Concreate USL

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I wonder where they will be located?
If I had to guess, I would say the old Wacky Wheatley's location.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 PM

SJPF's Replacement for Crown Vic

New Market Square Bank of Montreal

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:12 PM

Thirty more full-time jobs are coming to Saint John.

Premier David Alward making the today announcement at the New Brunswick Museum. With the help of Invest NB, Genesys Laboratories Canada will provide more jobs in computer programming and engineering.

The Premier says they're outstanding paid jobs and will keep smart New Brunswicker's here.

Alward adds Invest NB is a providing up to $300,000 through payroll rebates, and the jobs will put $1.6 million a year back into the province.

Genesys provides customer service and contact center software and services in over 80 countries.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:15 PM

By The Canadian Press - Fri, 29 Jun, 2012

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Canadian Blood Services plans to open a second national call centre in New Brunswick.

The agency says the second centre is scheduled to open in July 2013 in Saint John and will be in addition to the organization's primary centre in Sudbury, Ont.

The new centre will share space with its blood donor clinic and blood stock holding unit.

The announcement comes just months after the New Brunswick government announced it would stop trying to keep Canadian Blood Services from moving blood production work to Halifax.

The move is expected to eliminate about 17 full-time positions.

The Canadian Blood Services says once the call centre is fully operational it will require about 50 staff.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 PM

New Old BMO

Justice Complex

Parking Garage Being Pieced Together

New Passenger Pedway - Diamond Jubilee Cruise Terminal

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
If I had to guess, I would say the old Wacky Wheatley's location.
Seems Like a good guess, I drove by that location today, noticed a big dumpster in front, also I noticed that Wacky's Flooring appeared to be also gone. It hadn't closed up when Wheatleys Closed.

Also, Classic Family Furniture (Old Super Bobs) on Rothesay Ave is closing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 1:37 PM
ハルウララ

Photo courtesy of: http://urbanplans.blogspot.com/

Cruise ship passengers have access to passenger rail, but not Saint John residents looking to use it as transport. I wonder how long it will take for passenger rail to become a reality here.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:04 PM

That would be interesting; if Saint John of all places gets a Light Rail Transit system in before Halifax.

I know it's not REALLY LRT, but it would be nice to see some passenger rail service in this province other than VIA's token service.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:31 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I've heard rail tour tickets are around $55

A Fredericton-SJ-Moncton rail service would have worked out very well, if only the tracks to Freddy hadn't been ripped out. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I do continue to dream of a restored Montreal-Sherbrooke-SJ-Moncton-Halifax route.

We're definitely a long way off, but Saint John is laid out almost ideally for commuter rail, with tracks straight to the pedway's doorstep running through the KV, Hampton and GB-W.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:47 PM
ハルウララ

Honestly I don't see what's so difficult about running trains between Saint John and the valley during peak hours. They do this during the dragon boat event.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 6:53 PM

What is taking so long for the West side Kent store to get started??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces