HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We have all had asshole managers in our lives, I am sure.

It just irks me that this is where we are right now. Someone honestly feels entitled to retribution because they were yelled at. After they broke the rules.

I realize there is more to this story, but honestly, it's this kind of stuff that is allowed to go unchallenged that starts to turn people away from the larger story at hand.
These stories are frustrating because they rarely appropriately consider potential, well, incompetence, and instead focus on power dynamics. And employment contract outlines what's expected of employees and surely bosses make that clear frequently. That matters little when our entire society has adopted a "take em down" mob mentality towards any social ill, accurate or otherwise.

Stellas probably has serious shit they need to sort out, but this methodology is divisive... either people are immediately on board and get enraged, or others become immediately defensive at the lack of context or due process. It divides our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
For sure. It seems that there are many people out there who need to have meat/chicken/pork/fish for every single meal. It's excessive and there are other ways to obtain one's daily dose of protein. Personally, I'd like to cut down a day or two each week without eating any fish or animals with another few days where I am only consuming one serving.
Except animal protein has proven to be complete protein, compared to most plant proteins which lack certain required amino acids. Maybe you could supplement, but now you're spending $$$. Furthermore, if you want to not only match protein but amino acid content of meat, you have to eat a metric shit ton of lentils, broccoli, peas, etc...

For whatever reason, plenty of people with limited knowledge of food deviate to the idea that meat isn't good for you... there's better and worse but it's a fool's narrative. A lot of unhealthy people might see benefits from reducing meat because they've actually done without all the sauce, excessive butter, grease or frying that comes with it.

Furthermore, if one has any athletic tendencies or goals, going meatless is taking the long way around. Chicken, steak, are absolute staples of a performance diet. There are those that have done without it, but they may blend in with the crowd... almost all leaders in athletic fields eat meat. Tom Brady doesn't count, he just throws a ball.

You could argue the layperson doesn't need to perform like that. That's ok, doesn't mean that meat isn't great for you.

Also, the food guide says 50g per day is enough. If breathing is your goal, sure. To be healthy, or active? Strong? Much more.

But as for the environment? Holy crap, the amount of good that meat does for me is an infinitely more direct impact on my life than a reduction in meat consumption could have on the planet.

I get the whole "do your part" angle but that's akin to forfeiting my car so that somebody can by 10% of a prius. Nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:23 PM

This "whistleblowers are dividing society" attitude is what leads to customers harassing the Stella's wait staff for making them feel bad for being unwittingly complicit:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...500720471.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:46 PM

[QUOTE=urbanretail;8381889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
I bet The Forks' people would be happier if they hadn't been strung along with promises that the lease would be renewed. That's a huge space to reconfigure in a rush.

table were just turned on the forks, they yank leases and strung people along all the time
I love the "kicked them out" lines. Leases expire and landlords aren't always required to renew. And in the end, the Market is 1000% better than it was 3 years ago, so what they're doing is working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Apparently people are going. It only hurts the employees making a living there not to go. Short sighted.
I went, and not to make a statement – they have consistently good breakfast and service, open early, and you don't stink like a fryer when you leave like most diners. Plus, I know a lot of people who did and still work there, didn't think twice about it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:51 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Finn's (it wasn't Fionn McCool's)
It used to be Finn McCues when it was a pool hall.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:11 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I actually liked that place. It was a good place to go hang out and have a beer. Wasn't too terribly expensive for the beer or the pool either. It was kind of disappointing when it closed down. The Common sort of replaces it but there isn't any pub there anymore, which I think would liven up the area in the evenings and could be an awesome source of business if say Fergie's wanted to stay open late. Way better than having McDonalds after a night on the town anyways.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
These stories are frustrating because they rarely appropriately consider potential, well, incompetence, and instead focus on power dynamics. And employment contract outlines what's expected of employees and surely bosses make that clear frequently. That matters little when our entire society has adopted a "take em down" mob mentality towards any social ill, accurate or otherwise.

Stellas probably has serious shit they need to sort out, but this methodology is divisive... either people are immediately on board and get enraged, or others become immediately defensive at the lack of context or due process. It divides our society.

Except animal protein has proven to be complete protein, compared to most plant proteins which lack certain required amino acids. Maybe you could supplement, but now you're spending $$$. Furthermore, if you want to not only match protein but amino acid content of meat, you have to eat a metric shit ton of lentils, broccoli, peas, etc...

For whatever reason, plenty of people with limited knowledge of food deviate to the idea that meat isn't good for you... there's better and worse but it's a fool's narrative. A lot of unhealthy people might see benefits from reducing meat because they've actually done without all the sauce, excessive butter, grease or frying that comes with it.

Furthermore, if one has any athletic tendencies or goals, going meatless is taking the long way around. Chicken, steak, are absolute staples of a performance diet. There are those that have done without it, but they may blend in with the crowd... almost all leaders in athletic fields eat meat. Tom Brady doesn't count, he just throws a ball.

You could argue the layperson doesn't need to perform like that. That's ok, doesn't mean that meat isn't great for you.

Also, the food guide says 50g per day is enough. If breathing is your goal, sure. To be healthy, or active? Strong? Much more.

But as for the environment? Holy crap, the amount of good that meat does for me is an infinitely more direct impact on my life than a reduction in meat consumption could have on the planet.

I get the whole "do your part" angle but that's akin to forfeiting my car so that somebody can by 10% of a prius. Nonsense.
no, many individuals around the world not only exist, but thrive, with limited meat and animal products in their diet. As I pointed out before, studies have been done (like the National Geographic one I recently read) that meticulously tracked the diets of these individuals in places like Okinawa, small community within California, and many others and one of the commonalities among all of them was their relative low consumption of meat/poultry/animal products. Often times it would be like 5% of the diet that would be meat/poultry/seafood with another 5-10% consisting of animal products like milk/cheese/butter.

Now what the constitutes in terms of grams of protein, I'm not sure, but I willing to bet even that amount (plus the protein acquired from other sources) is easily enough to meet the requirement of 0.5 grams of protein for every pound of body weight for a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. Again, these groups which were studied were also characterized as having long lifespans...much longer then the average male or female. Their diet surely played a major role.

As for large amounts of protein required for high performance athletes...that is an exceptionally small percentage of the population...and people who go to the gym everyday to lift weights for an hour and do some moderate cardio for a half an hour are not high performance athletes as I'm certain many of them think they are.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Yes, different from Fionn McCools – they got sued which is why they changed the name to just Finns Pub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I actually liked that place. It was a good place to go hang out and have a beer. Wasn't too terribly expensive for the beer or the pool either. It was kind of disappointing when it closed down. The Common sort of replaces it but there isn't any pub there anymore, which I think would liven up the area in the evenings and could be an awesome source of business if say Fergie's wanted to stay open late. Way better than having McDonalds after a night on the town anyways.
It was decent before it was separated from the Spaghetti Factory and left without a kitchen, so all the "food" came from Dingo Dogs. WOW! wouldn't pay to put proper ventilation in to cook real food so all the food was made in microwaves, hot plates, and the fries in a "fry machine."

I worked there. I brought my own food.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
This "whistleblowers are dividing society" attitude is what leads to customers harassing the Stella's wait staff for making them feel bad for being unwittingly complicit:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...500720471.html
And again, that above helps divide... These days everyone is itching to point at any large macro group and accuse them of being complicit, knowingly or otherwise.

Nonsense. It literally is an attempt to assemble a mob for mass outrage. To some degree it works, but with it comes the consequence of an opposition that has every right to be incenses for being faulted for nothing. That's the business model.

There are effective ways to achieve something, but quite frankly, this method is easiest, and it sometimes kills due process and is VERY subject to the emotional whims of angry people.

This does not mean that people don't have the right to be angry! But it should RAISE the level of due diligence required. Instead it's tossed away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
no, many individuals around the world not only exist, but thrive, with limited meat and animal products in their diet. As I pointed out before, studies have been done (like the National Geographic one I recently read) that meticulously tracked the diets of these individuals in places like Okinawa, small community within California, and many others and one of the commonalities among all of them was their relative low consumption of meat/poultry/animal products. Often times it would be like 5% of the diet that would be meat/poultry/seafood with another 5-10% consisting of animal products like milk/cheese/butter.

Now what the constitutes in terms of grams of protein, I'm not sure, but I willing to bet even that amount (plus the protein acquired from other sources) is easily enough to meet the requirement of 0.5 grams of protein for every pound of body weight for a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. Again, these groups which were studied were also characterized as having long lifespans...much longer then the average male or female. Their diet surely played a major role.

As for large amounts of protein required for high performance athletes...that is an exceptionally small percentage of the population...and people who go to the gym everyday to lift weights for an hour and do some moderate cardio for a half an hour are not high performance athletes as I'm certain many of them think they are.
Meat is part of the average idiot's diet. So by and large anyone obsessive enough to reduce or eliminate meat is probably not eating a tub of ice cream a day.

If you track someone who goes almost vegan (with some meat) vs someone equally meticulous but with much greater meat intake, guess which one will be stronger and fitter? Have a more robust immune system? Circulation?

.5g/lbs bodyweight is a low amount of protein. We generally eat light breakfasts, lunch isn't a 30g or protein affair usually, and then it's snacks and dinner. If anyone is casually active they'll usually want more. Anyone frequently active even moreso, never mind intensely active. We actually live in a very active society these days, and we kinda fear monger meat. People "switch" to vegetarianism or veganism but aren't coming from a healthy diet with plenty of meat, or an active background (often). I'm also not saying it can't be done (living well/effectively without meat), but will assert it's not the best way to live.

Meat (not fried chicken) has strong links to the aforementioned strength, immune system, circulation, but also weight loss, improved digestion, reduced inflammation, heart health, mental clarity, and stronger bones, teeth, and healthier skin and hair. Not just in one town in California, kinda globally.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:29 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
And again, that above helps divide... These days everyone is itching to point at any large macro group and accuse them of being complicit, knowingly or otherwise.

Nonsense. It literally is an attempt to assemble a mob for mass outrage. To some degree it works, but with it comes the consequence of an opposition that has every right to be incenses for being faulted for nothing. That's the business model.

There are effective ways to achieve something, but quite frankly, this method is easiest, and it sometimes kills due process and is VERY subject to the emotional whims of angry people.

This does not mean that people don't have the right to be angry! But it should RAISE the level of due diligence required. Instead it's tossed away.

Meat is part of the average idiot's diet. So by and large anyone obsessive enough to reduce or eliminate meat is probably not eating a tub of ice cream a day.

If you track someone who goes almost vegan (with some meat) vs someone equally meticulous but with much greater meat intake, guess which one will be stronger and fitter? Have a more robust immune system? Circulation?

.5g/lbs bodyweight is a low amount of protein. We generally eat light breakfasts, lunch isn't a 30g or protein affair usually, and then it's snacks and dinner. If anyone is casually active they'll usually want more. Anyone frequently active even moreso, never mind intensely active. We actually live in a very active society these days, and we kinda fear monger meat. People "switch" to vegetarianism or veganism but aren't coming from a healthy diet with plenty of meat, or an active background (often). I'm also not saying it can't be done (living well/effectively without meat), but will assert it's not the best way to live.

Meat (not fried chicken) has strong links to the aforementioned strength, immune system, circulation, but also weight loss, improved digestion, reduced inflammation, heart health, mental clarity, and stronger bones, teeth, and healthier skin and hair. Not just in one town in California, kinda globally.
Not to mention that humans have always had meat as a staple in their diet, whether it's as fish or wooly mammoth or pig or cow or rabbit etc. Meat also fulfills an important role in most cultures around the world. Are we gonna commit cultural genocide to appease some people who say meat is bad?!

I get that meat is not nor should be the be all end all of somebody's diet, but it has a necessary role to play in healthy eating. As in most cases, moderation is key, but to completely cut yourself off from meat as a political statement is beyond asinine.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:07 PM

I haven't followed to meat conversation here. It seems most people don't eat meat because they feel sorry for the animals. I know one person who constantly is posting about farm operations and the bad conditions animals live in. And how inexcusable it is that we all eat meat or meat products. Just one person yes. But there's a couple others I know who are of a similar stance.

So far I've controlled myself and avoided confrontation with said person. They're quite abrasive. If said person came out to my family's dairy farm and seen how the vast majority of operations are run, it likely wouldn't change their mind anyways.

The girls are milked as they please, robots clean the floors constantly. They can wander into the open area, indoors or outdoors, where they can run and play if desired. They don't live in single stalls, they aren't chained, they're clean. And yes we eat them once they've lived their lives.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:26 PM

Why is there such a lack of good restaurants in the northern half of the city? I have relatives around Leila/McGregor, and when I take them out to eat it's always a challenge. The closest decent coffee joint I've found is Rocky Mountain Coffee Co, on Henderson almost at the Perimeter. Good quality supper places are also seriously lacking. What gives?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
Why is there such a lack of good restaurants in the northern half of the city? I have relatives around Leila/McGregor, and when I take them out to eat it's always a challenge. The closest decent coffee joint I've found is Rocky Mountain Coffee Co, on Henderson almost at the Perimeter. Good quality supper places are also seriously lacking. What gives?
Yeah I don't get it either. Leila McPhillips area you would think could sustain something more decent than a Boston Pizza and Sals considering how much Amber Trails has grown over the years.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I have friends in Amber Trails who lament the lack of coffee places around there... there are no Starbucks locations in that neck of the woods except for the one inside Save-On.

I see where you're coming from, but then, the invisible hand is seldom wrong. I recall there were a few mid-range chain restaurants around McPhillips over the years but they seldom lasted long. Red Lobster, Longhorns Steakhouse, maybe there were others (Branigans? Grapes?)... they didn't last all that long.

Seems that the market around there demands either basic pizza and burgers type fare, or ethnic food.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have friends in Amber Trails who lament the lack of coffee places around there... there are no Starbucks locations in that neck of the woods except for the one inside Save-On.

I see where you're coming from, but then, the invisible hand is seldom wrong. I recall there were a few mid-range chain restaurants around McPhillips over the years but they seldom lasted long. Red Lobster, Longhorns Steakhouse, maybe there were others (Branigans? Grapes?)... they didn't last all that long.

Seems that the market around there demands either basic pizza and burgers type fare, or ethnic food.
Yeah, pretty sure there was a Grapes where BP now is. Branigans prior to Longhorns I believe. But those were all 15+ years ago. The area has grown quite a lot since then.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Red Lobster + Olive Garden
Red Lobster + Branigans
Red Lobster + Longhorns
Red Lobster + Salisbury House
One Insurance + Salisbury House
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah, pretty sure there was a Grapes where BP now is. Branigans prior to Longhorns I believe. But those were all 15+ years ago. The area has grown quite a lot since then.
Yeah, it's one of the few corners of the city without a Keg/Earls/Tony Roma's/Moxie's type casual dining restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:51 PM

I also notice there's no real higher-end retail in the Northern half of the city to my knowledge. All the best Shopping is at Polo Park, along Kennaston, or Bishop Grandin/St Vital. Is the demographics of that end mostly old people? Or maybe just poorer? Seems like a really big dead zone generally.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I remember how happy we were when Boston Pizza opened in River East Plaza. Until we ate there.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
I also notice there's no real higher-end retail in the Northern half of the city to my knowledge. All the best Shopping is at Polo Park, along Kennaston, or Bishop Grandin/St Vital. Is the demographics of that end mostly old people? Or maybe just poorer? Seems like a really big dead zone generally.
Retail has not really thrived up around that strip. The only places that seem to do well there are the big box, mass merchant discounter type stores, like Walmart, Canadian Tire, Winners, Home Depot type places. If someone wanted to buy a suit on McPhillips, I wouldn't even know where they could look.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I remember how happy we were when Boston Pizza opened in River East Plaza. Until we ate there.
All the yumminess of frozen pizza but without having to turn the oven on yourself!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan