HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Is there a webcam that shows the entire WTC site and updates images every minute or so?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:33 PM

WTC webcams

I just found these, http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/ they actually stream live, will have to wait for daylight to see how much they really see.

Cam 2 has a pretty good view of the whole scene, Cam 3 is actually several cams with alternating views, one is aimed at the two Freedom Tower cranes, the area is lit with floodlights and there is some activity right now (6:33 PM ET).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Howdy from Vancouver. Can someone show a diagram of the current site and exactly in what spot each tower will go?

I was there last summer and the layout is kinda confusing. I know there's 6 towers but how will they be placed with respect to one another?

And is one of the towers going right into the sopt where the DeutschBank building is currently?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 9:09 PM
mmmmkay

Quick question, how does the total sq. ft. of all the new wtc structures compair to the old complex?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 12:08 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
Finally. When it's all said and done, this thing's going to be in the Guinness Book of World Records under "slowest construction."
Wheelock Square is much slower. Took over 2 years to get above ground, well over 2, and is much much smaller than this site.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 1:05 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Wheelock Square is much slower. Took over 2 years to get above ground, well over 2, and is much much smaller than this site.
Because of the intricate blend of underground utilities and subway lines under these 16 acres, it's probably the most complex building site in the world... possibly the most complex there ever was.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 1:18 AM
Frigidus Maximus

gothamist.com

We got a NotifyNYC alert this morning:

The Port Authority will be doing construction blasting at the World Trade Center site today beginning at 8 a.m. There will be a total of 7 controlled blasts during the day. This is a routine construction operation and there is no cause for concern.
The only cause of concern is how the Port Authority has incurred millions of fees for not turning over the Ground Zero parcels to developer Larry Silverstein on time. The PA was supposed to hand over part of the WTC site on December 31, for Silverstein to start work on Towers 3 and 4, but excavation has been much more difficult than predicted.

On the upside, the Port Authority completed an agreement with Westfield Group, an Australian-based developer of shopping centers, to operate half a million square feet of shops and restaurants at the site. Westfield told the Wall Street Journal, "We're back in there because we actually believe it's going ahead and that the buildings will be built, the space will get leased and people will come back down there to work." Still, it seems unlikely that the buildings will be complete by 2011 (the date bandied about) and that 2013 or 2014 seem more likely.

This past weekend, the NY Times showed an interactive look at the so-called "bathtub" at Ground Zero.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...#/content=80ft

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:59 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

lots of progress in the last few days, seems it is going faster now

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

Picture from cam2 at 5:13 PM ET (enlarged 50% with contrast added) http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/ showing more steel behind the two cranes than in the last photo posted here.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:14 AM

Why is there a building by that staircase? I thought, from looking at the layout of the whole site, that the road was supposed continue through there and intersect to the right of it? (Looking at the picture posted above).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillbilly View Post
Why is there a building by that staircase? I thought, from looking at the layout of the whole site, that the road was supposed continue through there and intersect to the right of it? (Looking at the picture posted above).
That is the "new" temporary PATH entrance while the Calvatra station is built. It will be taken down when the new station is complete.

Note...this will be the 3rd temp entrance.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft View Post
Picture from cam2 at 5:13 PM ET (enlarged 50% with contrast added) http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/ showing more steel behind the two cranes than in the last photo posted here.
http://www.custompuzzlecraft.com/tem...r_20080120.jpg
Here's better quality:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:36 AM

when will this building begin to rise? whats taking so long?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:06 PM

slowly coming along

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick22185 View Post
when will this building begin to rise? whats taking so long?

Looks like a lot of progress has been made in the past two weeks! The core will probably be above ground in another month or two?

This is VERY exciting!

Rise Baby, Rise!

And now...Dancing Bananas!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:22 PM

slow progress...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Here's better quality:

Yea! I am very happy to see those columns where the parking garage used to be. I had almost given up hope they'd be installed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
slow progress...
No it's not. You just don't realize the complexity of the site. You can't just fill it with couple steal beams.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:19 PM

well yeah, maybe, i dont mean i want to see just steel beams, maybe if i compare a photo from 2 weeks with this i found the progress, but ive been checking the thread since ages ago, and to be realistic and comparing the begining of work on the site, it is slow... but hey, im happy to see progress even if it looks a small one at first sight...
thanx for the webcam pic!
i want to see the core above street level now...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:23 PM
Frigidus Maximus

bostonnow.com

According to sources from the Port Authority Police Department, two more body fragments of 9/11 victims were found at Ground Zero

According to sources from the Port Authority Police Department, two more body fragments of 9/11 victims were found at Ground Zero this past week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8II5dl0Js

According to sources from the Port Authority Police Department, two more body fragments of 9/11 victims were found at Ground Zero this past week.

According to the confidential source information to the finding is being kept secret because of scrutiny regarding rebuilding effort taking place at Ground Zero.

Currently Ground Zero is a huge construction site, where the city plans on building its Freedom Tower. The footage that was shot on Saturday January 19th inside Ground Zero depicts construction workers working overtime on the freedom tower, which is set to be finished in 2012.

What the general public fails to grasp is that Ground Zero is a memorial site for over 3,000 families. Around 45 percent of the victims of 9/11 were never discovered. While unidentified body parts are still being discovered to this day more than 6 years later.

This current situation is attributed to Rudolph Giuliani’s scoop and dump policy which threw away 45 percent of the remaining undiscovered family members into the fresh kills land fill in Staten Island. It was later reported by the AP that the remains were then recycled and used to fill up pot holes in NYC streets.

Rudolph Giuliani implemented his policy after the gold of the Nova Scotia was found at Ground Zero in 2001 on All Saint’s day. After the gold of Nova Scotia was discovered Rudolph kicked firefighters off the pile and implemented the scoop and dump policy. Many firefighters in outrage protested and were even arrested when finding out Giuliani’s decision to scoop and dump their fallen brothers.

Rudolph, who was formally a federal prosecutor, should know something about keeping evidence at a crime scene his actions speak for themselves. While he is using 9/11 as a platform for the presidential election he should think twice about mentioning his actions as mayor.

Manny Badillo lost his uncle Thomas J. Sgroi in the twin towers stated “It was one of the worst, disrespectful things you could possibly do to anyone who lost someone.”

The real important question to ask is if there will be DNA testing done on the newly discovered body fragments or will the city do what they did before and throw the remains into the garbage, recycle them and use them to fill up pot holes?

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive