HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
It's not a map. This is a system diagram. This is going to be especially bad for tourists/newcomers who don't know their way around. Maps are a good tool to find your way around. But with this, you have no way of knowing how to get from your origin to the bus stop you need
Maybe this system diagram is only for route design and they will publish a true map once the Confederation Line opens.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:40 PM

First of 82 Novabuses arrived in Ottawa sporting the new livery.

Why did we get rid of the old Novas? I remember them feeling much more spacious.

https://twitter.com/NoSecondD/status...08495039135744

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:05 PM

There are a couple of more photos posted on the cptdb.
https://cptdb.ca/topic/18836-2019-no...comment=836290

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I am curious. It has been almost 2 weeks since the downtown routes have been rerouted to use Queen St. Have things gotten better or is it just as bad as on day one? With a new transit chair it might be a good opportunity to suggest changes.
Can now confirm: Things are a shitshow.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
There are a couple of more photos posted on the cptdb.
https://cptdb.ca/topic/18836-2019-no...comment=836290
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why did we get rid of the old Novas? I remember them feeling much more spacious.
I expect they reached the end of their life. I am not sure when the last of them were purchased, but here is a photo of one from 1997:

Oc9736
Unknown [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:49 AM
BANNED

A touchy question, but from the news coverage of the crash on the Transitway, it appears that some shelters overhang the roadway at a height that is too low for double decker buses. Is this true? Why is this the case? Maybe this is the issue, not the buses.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
A touchy question, but from the news coverage of the crash on the Transitway, it appears that some shelters overhang the roadway at a height that is too low for double decker buses. Is this true? Why is this the case? Maybe this is the issue, not the buses.
Good Day.

There is a whole thread on this discussion here (OC Transpo crash at Westboro Station , 5 pages of discussion to date):
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237307

We are all going back and forth on contributing causes, and of course we will all have to wait for the full investigation and report.
(and the fact that TSB should be invited in to, not just be available for consultation, but actually lead the investigation, is also being debated.)

FYI.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Can now confirm: Things are a shitshow.
And STO has not even really transitioned away from Wellington yet, right?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:27 PM

No yet.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And STO has not even really transitioned away from Wellington yet, right?
The plan i believe is to transition after the line opens, so that there's more room than there currently is on albert and slater. If you know of that map with the 3 different "lines" in downtown ottawa, you can see that parts of it to use those streets, and adding STO buses to them before the transitway buses are gone more create even more impact.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by corynv View Post
The plan i believe is to transition after the line opens, so that there's more room than there currently is on albert and slater. If you know of that map with the 3 different "lines" in downtown ottawa, you can see that parts of it to use those streets, and adding STO buses to them before the transitway buses are gone more create even more impact.
I just checked and a tiny number of STO routes were supposed to start using Queen/Lyon as of Jan. 1 (even with the Confed Line delays they wanted to do it) but this switch was pushed back. So at this point there aren't any STO routes running on any streets south of Wellington AFAIK.

So they're waiting just like everyone else.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corynv View Post
The OC Transpo shitshow is on Queen. But also on Slater and Albert, and sort of on Wellington still, and certainly on Bank, but also O'Connor and Metcalfe, because Manconi decided to create a mouse-maze out of the local routes downtown, frig up connections, fail to protect stops from parking and mixed traffic, provide the riding public with inconsistent and even completely wrong information about where buses run and stop, and when, and fail to properly arm up operators with correct information about their own routes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The OC Transpo shitshow is on Queen. But also on Slater and Albert, and sort of on Wellington still, and certainly on Bank, but also O'Connor and Metcalfe, because Manconi decided to create a mouse-maze out of the local routes downtown, frig up connections, fail to protect stops from parking and mixed traffic, provide the riding public with inconsistent and even completely wrong information about where buses run and stop, and when, and fail to properly arm up operators with correct information about their own routes.
He should be fired imo. That on top of two bus crashes?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
The quick answer is; No, it is NOT true. The awnings stop about a foot back from the edge of the platform. If a vehicle is going to hit them, then it is already driving on the platform.

For the longer answer, as PHrenetic pointed out, there is a thread dedicated to the recent bus-awning collision at Westboro Station:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
The quick answer is; No, it is NOT true. The awnings stop about a foot back from the edge of the platform. If a vehicle is going to hit them, then it is already driving on the platform.

For the longer answer, as PHrenetic pointed out, there is a thread dedicated to the recent bus-awning collision at Westboro Station:
I went over there.

I still think the bigger issue is something sticking out, not the actual bus.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I went over there.

I still think the bigger issue is something sticking out, not the actual bus.

Its a moot point, those stations will be demolished anyway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
Its a moot point, those stations will be demolished anyway.
Good Day.

As per the other thread.... the SE T-way will not be converted anytime soon, and I believe the same structures are used in some other locations (but I could be wrong).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

As per the other thread.... the SE T-way will not be converted anytime soon, and I believe the same structures are used in some other locations (but I could be wrong).
I never said converted, I said once the shelters reach the end of their useful life they will be demolished and replaced.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Some are even too low for single decker buses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation