HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:27 PM

^ I think Jasper Park Lodge tends to get overlooked partly because it's a fairly low-slung hotel and not of the imposingly grandiose design more commonly associated with railway hotels. But it's certainly a beauty.

Welcome aboard Bellinghamgreg!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:50 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think Jasper Park Lodge tends to get overlooked partly because it's a fairly low-slung hotel and not of the imposingly grandiose design more commonly associated with railway hotels. But it's certainly a beauty.

JPL is a decent hotel but it lacks that grandeur of the old CP hotels.

It's also needed some love for a while. I understand they're doing something about that though

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
...which Whistler hotel exacting are you referring too?
This one:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Fort Garry Hotel in Winnipeg is one 'Grand' railroad Hotel within a Canadian city that does not have a ★★★★ rating.
My best guess is that the lack of a full service restaurant is what costs the Fort Garry a 4-star rating. There is a nice lounge inside which serves light meals, as well as banquet rooms and a small cafe, but that's it for food service.

The current ownership group did a nice job restoring the hotel in the 90s and 00s, but for whatever reason they never brought back a full service restaurant. Which always struck me as somewhat odd... I never understood why. They do have the space for it, as I think there was historically at least one, possibly two restaurants in there back in the CN days.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Thanks,

I've been following you guys for years and decided to finally jump in.

A little about me. Born In Prince Rupert. Lived in Terrace BC and Kamloops. Moved to Wyoming, Hawaii and eventually Bellingham after a short stop in Victoria.

More of an observer on the board but will contribute when I feel I have something to add.

thanks to everyone for teaching me things about the motherland that I had never know

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This one:
aww, I completely missed the reference to the post from earlier pages...

yes! Fairmont Whistler, great hotel, I don't know how old hotel is but skiing as a youngster I remember the hotel, I haven't been to the hotel for several years, I wonder if it still has it's "cigar room"

Quote:
originally posted by Esquire
My best guess is that the lack of a full service restaurant is what costs the Fort Garry a 4-star rating. There is a nice lounge inside which serves light meals, as well as banquet rooms and a small cafe, but that's it for food service.
I think same reason James Hotel in Saskatoon has 3.5 stars but has a 96% Excellent/VeryGood customer approval rating even though can go next door for all the restaurants like Carver's or Samurai or Cathedral Freehouse on same block...or any of the other downtown restaurants in Saskatoon for that matter...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 12:53 AM

Given how much Evergrande has been in the news since a Honk Kong judge ordered to liquidate last week, I'm surprised this was never posted

Evergrande debt crisis triggers worry, rot at iconic Chateau Montebello hotel

By Andrew McIntosh Global News
Published October 2, 2023

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article has been revised to include additional facts that Yu Zhao stated during her December 2020 deposition and clarify the status of hotel renovations.

China Evergrande Group’s massive financial and legal challenges in Asia are casting a long, dark shadow over the Chateau Montebello, the iconic Quebec log cabin resort which the developer owns.

Evergrande, a once fast-growing Chinese property company that became the country’s second-largest developer, acquired the 211-room Chateau Montebello hotel in 2014.

The deal earned headlines because the Chateau Montebello is the largest log cabin ever built. It occupies a special place in the Canadian psyche and the nation’s history. It has hosted G7 and NATO leader summits, prime ministers, presidents, movie stars and even royalty.

Now, however, Montebello municipal leaders, local workers, guests and even tourism rivals are increasingly anxious about the Chateau Montebello’s future and its deteriorating physical condition under heavily indebted Evergrande’s ownership.

“The Chateau is our biggest employer and largest taxpayer. We’re worried,” Montebello Mayor Nicole Laflamme says. “Hundreds of local people in the village work there.”...

....Though the Chateau continues to charm visitors with its rustic allure and kind staff who earn positive reviews, the condition of the central hotel lodge and its affiliated support buildings have begun to attract negative attention in online reviews because of the lack of maintenance and their deteriorating condition. Passionate guests say such spending cuts are hurting the Canadian icon....

https://globalnews.ca/news/9993158/c...ancial-crisis/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 1:56 PM

Why do these people hold on to heritage properties even though they can't maintain them? Just sell.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That debt very Grande. Pour Toujours Grande Dette?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why do these people hold on to heritage properties even though they can't maintain them? Just sell.
Trophy hunting? hubris maybe. Ask the guys who owned Vancouver's Grouse Mountain ski resort for a hot minute.

Grouse Mountain back in B.C. hands, as debt-laden Chinese conglomerate retreats

....CMIG bought the resort in July 2017 from the McLaughlin family for an undisclosed amount. The McLaughlins had reportedly been asking $200 million.

CMIG holdings included real estate, insurance, leasing and renewable energy. By September 2018, CMIG was reportedly carrying more than $43 billion in debt. In early 2019, CMIG began to aggressively cut costs and unload assets....

https://thebreaker.news/news/grouse-sold-back-to-bc/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 1:50 PM

Speaking of.

Château Montebello to be sold following liquidation of China Evergrande
“I am sure there are prospective buyers,” Montebello's mayor says. “This is a landmark that no one wants to see disappear.”

Author of the article:Andrew Duffy
Published Feb 06, 2024

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ina-evergrande

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Speaking of.

Château Montebello to be sold following liquidation of China Evergrande
“I am sure there are prospective buyers,” Montebello's mayor says. “This is a landmark that no one wants to see disappear.”

Author of the article:Andrew Duffy
Published Feb 06, 2024

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ina-evergrande
Good. Hopefully a buyer will be found who gives it the attention it deserves.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 10:37 PM

Not a railway hotel, but I spent a week at the Fairmont Waterfront for a conference a few weeks ago and was surprised at how poorly it seemed to be aging. It had clearly seen some interior updates, but there were certain things that seemed that they were well past their best before date - most significantly the elevators which had multiple inoperable buttons and broke down repeatedly. Not a great look at a key point that every guest passes through for a hotel that claims to be 4-stars.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 10:47 PM

I wonder if Fairmont might be looking to divest the Waterfront given the proximity of the newer and more luxurious Pacific Rim.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
I wonder if Fairmont might be looking to divest the Waterfront given the proximity of the newer and more luxurious Pacific Rim.
I would doubt it given how lucrative hotels have become in Vancouver. Elevators seem to be a real problem point lately, at least in Vancouver. Lack of parts, lack of technicians. Is the same true in other parts of Canada?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
aww, I completely missed the reference to the post from earlier pages...

yes! Fairmont Whistler, great hotel, I don't know how old hotel is but skiing as a youngster I remember the hotel, I haven't been to the hotel for several years, I wonder if it still has it's "cigar room"
Around 1990. It is fairly new hotel.

The railway line through whistler was back in the day The Pacific Great Eastern (PGE) but it did not go all the way down to Vancouver, it stopped in Squamish and then you had to continue by ferry to reach Vancouver. It eventually became BC Rail. My dad when he first came to Canada in the 40/50s worked for PGE. I don't think they build grand hotels. The should have.

Quote:
I think same reason James Hotel in Saskatoon has 3.5 stars but has a 96% Excellent/VeryGood customer approval rating even though can go next door for all the restaurants like Carver's or Samurai or Cathedral Freehouse on same block...or any of the other downtown restaurants in Saskatoon for that matter...
The James is basically the same building as the Sheraton. It use to be apartments. I was living in Saskatoon around the time they tossed out all the residents and converted it an upscale hotel. I believe it is owned and operated by the same people as the Sheraton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada