HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:20 AM

Demolition project on Central and Polk

I'm new on these forums and I was wondering if anyone here knows what they're doing on the 2-block span from Central to 1st Ave, just south of the post office on Filmore, and south to Polk? They tore down a cluster of old one-story buildings and it Looks like they're getting ready for a major project.

I'm a native of Phoenix and the tallest building we've had for the past 34 years has been the 40-story Chase Tower. It was opened in 1973 as the Valley Bank tower, then changed to the Bank One tower, before Chase bought Bank One out.

I heard about a lot of skyscrapers they're planning, that will be taller than the Chase Tower, but for some reason they never seem to get built. But it looks like that might be changing. Right now there are ony 3 buildings currently under construction, 44 Monroe Place, The Sheraton, and another high-rise condo across the street from the Chase Ball Park. None of them will be taller than the Chase Tower, but from what I've been hearing, several towers have either been approved or are in the planning stages and I think it's about time.

Last edited by MagnumMike; Sep 23, 2006 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:01 AM

They are building a park where they demolished the buildings that you are talking about. The park is meant to serve the ASU students.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:30 AM

/\ Yep, and thankfully they saved the old Phoenix Art Museum... although I don't see why almost all of that row of buildings couldn't have been preserved.

I'm just hoping the "park" for the ASU campus is lush and nice and attractive and a place that gets used (and hopefully the saved building can be turned into something like a coffeeshop.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:22 PM

Thanks for the info guys. although I was hoping it was going to be the start of another tall building construction project.

I also think they should get rid of that old eye sore of a building on the south side of Central and Filmore, the old post office. It's a waste of valuable land in downtown. There's plenty of vacant land to the west they could use to build a new and more modern post office building.

I've been hearing a lot about the condo project that still hasn't started yet on the southwest corner of Central and Highland; originally it was going to be less than 30 floors, now I'm hearing it's going to be 50. Does anybody have any idea when they're going to start construction? It's been a dirt lot for about a year now.

I was raised in that neighborhood, just west of 3rd Ave & Highland and I'm glad to see some glimmer of activity for modernization in that area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 10:50 AM

Lightbulb Cielo:

In the latest issue of Phoenix Magazine (October) there's a new ad for the proposed twin 36-story Cielo Phoenix project (Central/ Columbus; http://www.cielophoenix.com) that finally shows a small rendering of what the project may look like.

I took the crappy picture below with my cell phone. If anyone has a better (and much more clear) image, please post it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 9:45 PM

i just want the toll brothers project to start in Midtown, everything else can be a pipe dream.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 2:20 AM

Thumbs up Toll Brothers...no pretender

I agree!!! Here is a link to the Toll Brothers site. The page contains several PowerPoint presentations from a recent "Analyst/Investor" meeting. They look very strong and have the kind of muscle needed to make such a grand project come to fruition. Of course, their history has been higher-end single-family homes but urban, hi-rise housing is definately an increasing component of their business plan.

http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesear...=IRpowerpoint#

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 1:12 PM

I'm looking at the pictures of the Cielo towers Camelback_road posted and I hope that won't be their final design.

In the past, I've heard about several other projects for tall buildings but for some reason they never came to fruition. That seems to be the norm in Phoenix.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMike
Thanks for the info guys. although I was hoping it was going to be the start of another tall building construction project.

I also think they should get rid of that old eye sore of a building on the south side of Central and Filmore, the old post office. It's a waste of valuable land in downtown. There's plenty of vacant land to the west they could use to build a new and more modern post office building.

I've been hearing a lot about the condo project that still hasn't started yet on the southwest corner of Central and Highland; originally it was going to be less than 30 floors, now I'm hearing it's going to be 50. Does anybody have any idea when they're going to start construction? It's been a dirt lot for about a year now.

I was raised in that neighborhood, just west of 3rd Ave & Highland and I'm glad to see some glimmer of activity for modernization in that area.
Are you kidding? The central post office is a beautiful building and well landscaped and historic. Of all the properties to want tear down that shouldn't be one of them. For what, a "skyscraper."
How about building a skyscraper on a vacant piece of land, say.... ANYWHERE YOU LOOK DOWNTOWN." While we're at it, why don't we tear down the Westward Ho (the tower is crooked, and old people don't create the right synergy downtown), The Luhrs Tower (too ornate). Yet you drool over a 50-story drawing that will never get built. Good job there Mikee!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post Cielo Phoenix

Towers get new name, fresh start
The Business Journal of Phoenix - September 22, 2006by Christia GibbonsThe Business Journal

Cielo Phoenix, a twin-tower condominium project originally called Sky Phoenix when it entered the market earlier this year, is about to take flight, and developers are expecting tremendous interest from people who are anxious to get a taste of city living.

Developers of Cielo, planned at the northeast corner of Central and Columbus avenues, were in town this week to talk up the project. Total cost of the pair of 36-story buildings, which received approval from the city in April, is expected to be about $250 million, they said.

A major advertising campaign promoting the condos has been launched in local magazines and on billboards.

Aaron Yashouafar, chief executive of Milbank Real Estate Services, and David Pourbaba, chief executive of 4D Development, both from Southern California, said they chose Phoenix for their alternative-living venture because "it's a prime time to come and do urban living right," Yashouafar said.

Top floors of the 375-feet-high, 500-unit residences will have walk-around balconies angled to provide maximum views, developers said.

"Phoenix people love the outdoors and the big terraces and views go with that," said Douglas Hanson, design principal with the DeStefano + Architects in Los Angeles, architects on the project. "Plus many may be moving from single-family homes and used to more space."

"We are surprised at the number of people moving from Chicago to Phoenix," Pourbaba said, adding that even starting in the $300,000s their condos provide "comparatively cheaper living."

"People are paying $2,000 per square foot in New York, $4,000 in London and $4,000 in Tokyo," Pourbaba said. "It's all relative, and there are not that many choices here."

Cielo's condos will cost between $300,000 and $2 million depending on whether it is a studio, loft or one of the three-bedroom penthouses. Units will range from 600 square feet to 2,700 square feet.

The businessmen said they like the idea of being at the forefront of the emerging urban environment.

Yashouafar said the project offers a middle step for people who want a feeling of openness while having certain expectations for high-rise living.

"Not being raised in Phoenix, it's easier for us to realize how to develop for midtown and for urban residents," he said.

Focus groups in the Central Corridor and in Chicago influenced the project, the developers said, convincing them to provide a dog run, outdoor movie screen and a roof-top garden with a bar, hot tubs and fire pits.

Construction is scheduled to start in the middle of next year with completion of the first tower by the end of 2008.

The partners' $350 million, 45-story condo on the Las Vegas Strip -- called Sky Las Vegas -- is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The Phoenix project was renamed Cielo, which means "sky" in Spanish, because the developers said it turned to be very different from the Las Vegas project.

"They are like our children," said Yashouafar. "You wouldn't name both of your children Jack."

A big attraction to Phoenix, they said, is the coming of light rail. Yashouafar and Pourbaba said easy access to transportation fits into their concept of creating community.

"We try to discourage investors. We like residents," Yashouafar said.

Steve Muenker, assistant planning director with the city of Phoenix, said Cielo Phoenix was approved to exceed the area's 250-feet height limit in April.

"There's a lot of interest along the light rail corridor as (developers) position themselves there. A number of applications are pending," Muenker said.

Mark Stratz, senior associate with Grubb & Ellis/BRE Commercial LLC, said there's plenty of room for residential living in the Central Corridor.

Stratz said investors are re-evaluating the area to figure out the best type of residential building, and by the end of the third or fourth quarter will figure out whether high-rise or boutique projects make the most sense.

Hanson, the project's architect, said one of the most impressive aspects of the project has been the city's preplanning for the midtown, Central Corridor area.

"Lots of Western cities don't have plans for development along mass-transit lines or have zoning in place," he said. "It was a pleasure designing a building there."

Early on, Hanson said, the thinking was to do one taller tower, but the two, shorter ones made for more design options. "It's not going to be a single tower marching down Central. You can imagine two people standing next to each other, kind of dancing."

The towers will have a retail level, and there will be separate security arrangements between shops and restaurants and the residents, the partners said.

Pourbaba's 4D Development, with more than 20 years of experience, focuses on developing and repositioning mixed-use projects in California, Nevada and Texas.

Yashouafar's Milbank Real Estate Services owns, manages or is developing more than 2 million square feet throughout Southern California, Nevada, Oklahoma and New York.

Get connected
DeStefano + Architects: www.destefanoandpartners.com

Cielo Phoenix: www.cielophoenix.com

Cielo at a glance
Price range: $300,000 to $2 million
Styles: Studios, lofts, three-bedroom penthouses
Square footage: 600 to 2,700
Units: 500
Retail: 15,000 square feet at ground level

**credit to ArtDecoFan for having the rest of the article**

Last edited by BA744PHX; Sep 29, 2006 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 2:43 PM

The City Council has sweetened the pot for the proposed Cityscape project.A variety of financial incentives appears to be moving this project closer to reality. This will involve replacing the signature downtown park with a retail pavillion and apartments. A swooping pedestrian bridge connects that with the other blocks. A vacant lot in the epicenter of downtown will get a 500,000 sf + office tower. There are other plans for a couple of condo towers, with market demand being the key. Also, a mixed used tower, a gourmet grocery store, and a boutique hotel are planned. Rendering above is probably just conceptual, but it gives an idea of the scale with towers in the 400' range.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 3:44 PM

Dreamy!

Here's the Arizona Republic article: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...scape0929.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 3:44 PM

For more information about this project you can go to

http://www.downtownphxrising.org/default.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri

The City Council has sweetened the pot for the proposed Cityscape project.A variety of financial incentives appears to be moving this project closer to reality. This will involve replacing the signature downtown park with a retail pavillion and apartments. A swooping pedestrian bridge connects that with the other blocks. A vacant lot in the epicenter of downtown will get a 500,000 sf + office tower. There are other plans for a couple of condo towers, with market demand being the key. Also, a mixed used tower, a gourmet grocery store, and a boutique hotel are planned. Rendering above is probably just conceptual, but it gives an idea of the scale with towers in the 400' range.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 8:10 PM

I am sooooo jazzed about CityScape gaining momentum! I urge everyone to spend some time on the web site linked to above, especially the project overview. It appears as though the development team is taking the next Patriots Park incarnation debate seriously as they have included a couple of stories related to it in the news/media section. They will be activley seeking public input on how the park will be incorporated. There likely will be at least a handful of naysayers....there always is. IMO, this is a golden opportunity that cannot be missed. I think it is entirely appropriate for the city to invest what it has to make this project happen. If it comes off, what an impact it will make to the life of DT Phoenix. Can't wait to see 40-story buildings sprout out of those parking lots!

Last edited by JimInCal; Oct 1, 2006 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Thats an awesome looking project. I know condo life has been booming in PHX, are businesses relocating in large numbers as well? If so, I can see many skyscrapers being thrust up in PHX.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:56 AM

Some construction update photos...

Monroe 44 - Work currently on floor #5.

Summit at Copper Square - Work currently on floor #11.

Sheraton Downtown Phoenix Hotel - Second tower crane going up, work still below street level.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD
Are you kidding? The central post office is a beautiful building and well landscaped and historic. Of all the properties to want tear down that shouldn't be one of them. For what, a "skyscraper."
How about building a skyscraper on a vacant piece of land, say.... ANYWHERE YOU LOOK DOWNTOWN." While we're at it, why don't we tear down the Westward Ho (the tower is crooked, and old people don't create the right synergy downtown), The Luhrs Tower (too ornate). Yet you drool over a 50-story drawing that will never get built. Good job there Mikee!
I'm not sure how the Luhrs and the Westward Ho buildings got into this, I never said they should be torn down. I was only talking about the old post office. Everyone has an opinion, and I certainly respect yours. Mine is to get rid of it, and I think that will eventually happen because an old one-story building in a key area of downtown will not sit around for a long time in the midst of renewal.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMike
I'm not sure how the Luhrs and the Westward Ho buildings got into this, I never said they should be torn down. I was only talking about the old post office. Everyone has an opinion, and I certainly respect yours. Mine is to get rid of it, and I think that will eventually happen because an old one-story building in a key area of downtown will not sit around for a long time in the midst of renewal.
Again, Magnum, all well and good, but to destroy a building that is slated to be part of ASU's campus, and still remain a viable, historic post office, just because you think it's ugly, is preposterous. So, your thinking is, that in the entire downtown, all one and two story buildings (some of them very ugly) should just be torn down to make way for skyscrapers? There are acres upon acres of empty lots to develop into your beloved hi-rises. However, you are right, you are entitled to your own opinion, and thank you for respecting mine, but I do not have to respect yours. When people choose to destroy the past, what will we have left?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD
When people choose to destroy the past, what will we have left?
The future. I hate that damn post office. Knock the f-er down, along with a million other eyesores. I'm not saying we need endless towers, but new, fresh, inviting buildings, parks, etc. sounds good, even if it's one- or two-story buildings.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevininlb
The future. I hate that damn post office. Knock the f-er down, along with a million other eyesores. I'm not saying we need endless towers, but new, fresh, inviting buildings, parks, etc. sounds good, even if it's one- or two-story buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations