HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I'll take aloft over this any day.
Oh heck yeah.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:53 AM

This project is obviously in trouble. They can't even put a fence around the site and pretty billboards on all four corners.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:58 AM

On one hand I'd much prefer the Aloft proposal and I'd take that over this one any day, on the other hand, I'd really like the infill ZaZa would bring to the site.

Then again, it's not in a CVC so maybe there could be a push for something taller as other lots outside of CVCs are snapped up

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:12 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I honestly think this project died, which I'm okay with. There are better (taller) uses for this lot in the future.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I honestly think this project died, which I'm okay with. There are better (taller) uses for this lot in the future.
Their website says "Coming soon to Austin ". I'm starting to think there watching Austin hotel market to see if it will hold out. Remember we still got the massive Fairmont that will be going up next month. So I guess we'll sit back and play the waiting game.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Their website says "Coming soon to Austin ". I'm starting to think there watching Austin hotel market to see if it will hold out. Remember we still got the massive Fairmont that will be going up next month. So I guess we'll sit back and play the waiting game.
However the fact that they said they'd have a statement by the end of March and it's approaching the end of April and there's been no such statement gives me pause because honestly it feels like the longer they go on without a statement, the more it's hurts its chances of being built. If I were looking at this as an investor I'd think "Well if they can't make a statement on time I don't know how if I could trust them to build the hotel in time"

Again, while I'd prefer something taller, I like the design and the infill it'll bring to the area, I don't think it's dead yet, but honestly I really don't think things are looking good.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:54 AM

The Zaza project reminds me of the original 21c project: inexperienced developers of a budding niche boutique hotel chain get in over their heads with their biggest project to date.

Although I thought with Gables on board this was a pretty sure thing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 11:11 AM
CIA since 2003

Chill everybody. Their site plan has not been released over some minor legal papers. Groundbreaking is anticipated in June or July.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Chill everybody. Their site plan has not been released over some minor legal papers. Groundbreaking is anticipated in June or July.
That's good news. I agree that this will be good infill and with both apartments and a hotel, will bring needed activity around Republic Square park. I like this project.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypie View Post
will bring needed activity around republic square park.
this

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
If I were looking at this as an investor I'd think "Well if they can't make a statement on time I don't know how if I could trust them to build the hotel in time"
An "investor," whether in this property or an adjacent one, is not going to be sitting on the sideline waiting for a public announcement. They will be on the field and in the trenches. The commercial real estate development industry is a small and very tight knit one. Pretty much everyone is "in the know" on most properties and projects. To reiterate: any savvy "investor" will always have inside information (knowledge which is not, or has not yet become public) on the project in question.

I would agree that it is frustrating for the general public when announcements are not made. On that note, no developer is obligated to release any information about their projects...so, again, yes, it may be frustrating; but, it is their prerogative. Meeting a public media release "deadline" has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they are capable of successfully developing a project.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:30 AM
Meh

Dead? I noticed their site plan admin expired in February, and there's been no activity on it since October.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10874636

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Dead? I noticed their site plan admin expired in February, and there's been no activity on it since October.

It does say "waiting on legal" as the status like SAM said. But I vote for dead because of the inactivity, and it just seems to be quietly fading away like dead projects do. At least the Fairmont is still having new permit requests and pretty billboards installed.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 7:30 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I never thought this one would make it.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 12:34 PM

I love the density this project brings to 4th...but I was never sold on the design..Crossing fingers something better goes into this spot. Perhaps taller and more attractive.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It does say "waiting on legal" as the status like SAM said. But I vote for dead because of the inactivity, and it just seems to be quietly fading away like dead projects do. At least the Fairmont is still having new permit requests and pretty billboards installed.
It's not dead. My wife works for Gables, and they are still very much talking like it's going to happen. They sold off a bunch of downtown properties this month because they're putting their assets into this new project.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 5:54 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present:

Hotel Nada!

All jokes aside, I'd still like to see this project come to fruition.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:28 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global View Post
It's not dead. My wife works for Gables, and they are still very much talking like it's going to happen. They sold off a bunch of downtown properties this month because they're putting their assets into this new project.
Do you know of any specific timelines or what is going on with the permit process?

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:32 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I love the density this project brings to 4th...but I was never sold on the design..Crossing fingers something better goes into this spot. Perhaps taller and more attractive.
I actually like the design. I think the renderings are not doing it justice. We have so few brick towers so far. It could be a nice change from all the glass. A brick facade tower would be perfect for the warehouse district - a sort of nod to all the old brick buildings there. The height isn't terrible either, but 100 to 200 more feet would be better.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Do you know of any specific timelines or what is going on with the permit process?
I'll ask my wife to check on it. Last I heard was that they expected construction to start early summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin