HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:45 AM

When I despair over sports in this city, I attend a giants game and all is better.

Admittedly, I am a bandwagoner (though I hate that term) for the Canucks but it's because I care too much and can't help but throw a temper tantrum every time they lose 10 in a row. I jump off but almost always immediately jump back on. Fans should be allowed to be angry and rant about the team WITHOUT being labelled a bandwagoner.

In terms of pro-sports in this city, I'm hoping for a MLS Whitecaps FC. I don't much care for anything else - especially not a MLB team, sorry vancity. NFL would be awesome but that's never going to happen unless for the remote chance (like 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%) chance that NFL absorbs CFL and all our teams change rules to match american football (lol).

Another sports angle would be to look at UBC and their NCAA ambitions.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:05 AM
Yellow Fever

Someone told me that the then Vancouver Grizzlies had a chance to draft Yao Ming but they didn't. If Yao Ming played for Vancouver, I can guaranteed that there would have been a full house at each game at GM place; half of the fans would be Chinese of course.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:08 AM

was yao ming even available for draft when the grizzlies were around?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:19 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
was yao ming even available for draft when the grizzlies were around?
Yao Ming was already a professional player back then in China. It was not like he was a 15 years old kid waiting to get drafted. So i do believe that the Grizzlies had a chance to sign him as a free agent or something like that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:28 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
No disrespect but the NLL is pretty bush league. We might as well go after a WNBA team they would have roughly the same attendance.
It's the top tier of a legitimate sport, and all you care about is attendance?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:34 AM
Yellow Fever

I enjoy watching box lacrosse, imo, it is almost as exciting as the ice hockey.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:05 AM

Quote:
When I despair over sports in this city, I attend a giants game and all is better.

Admittedly, I am a bandwagoner (though I hate that term) for the Canucks but it's because I care too much and can't help but throw a temper tantrum every time they lose 10 in a row. I jump off but almost always immediately jump back on. Fans should be allowed to be angry and rant about the team WITHOUT being labelled a bandwagoner.

In terms of pro-sports in this city, I'm hoping for a MLS Whitecaps FC. I don't much care for anything else - especially not a MLB team, sorry vancity. NFL would be awesome but that's never going to happen unless for the remote chance (like 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%) chance that NFL absorbs CFL and all our teams change rules to match american football (lol).

Another sports angle would be to look at UBC and their NCAA ambitions.
I know how you feel about the Canucks. I'm a Canuck fan myself, and when I see them lose games, I'm not a happy camper, but there's more to life than Canuck games Hey, I just look at it from the perspective that, if they don't turn this slide they are currently on around, then they are going to lose their jobs. I'm not going to lose mine. Am I disappointed that they've forgotten pretty much how to play a hockey game? Yes. Do I believe that the 'Nucks are going to make the playoffs? Mmm...if they play like they did tonight, they're going to miss the postseason guaranteed. I don't care how well Luongo plays, if the team plays the way it did against Phoenix tonight - they deserved to get booed right off the ice. They'll win again...just not sure if they'll win enough to make the postseason. I'm supportive of the team, even if they have lost 6 in a row at home

I admit, MLB, while it would be nice, is a long shot, and a pipe dream - but a man can dream, can't he? MLS I am surprisingly excited about the possibility that we can land a franchise for the 2011 season (fingers crossed!). Someone update us when they hears ANY KIND of news on it I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I have grown to appreciate the sport more and more, and if the Whitecaps land an MLS franchise, my excitement, and intrigue in the sport will only grow.

Everyone's in a bad mood, cause the Canucks lost 4-1, to the Coyotes. Sigh. The Canucks will bounce back! Have faith, friends

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:32 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Everyone's in a bad mood, cause the Canucks lost 4-1, to the Coyotes. Sigh. The Canucks will bounce back! Have faith, friends
speak for yourself, my team just handed San Jose its first home loss of the season!!

at any rather though, aside from MLS and the possible return of the NLL, Vancouver isn't and wont be on any major league sports radars for a while. we still have to get through and have a successful and profitable Olympics before other major leagues take notice.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 4:46 PM
victory in near

Quote:

i actually like the CFL game better. Larger field, less downs, more passing.... really, the NFL just has more teams and a heck of a lot more hype and money.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 4:49 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kongese View Post
Someone told me that the then Vancouver Grizzlies had a chance to draft Yao Ming but they didn't. If Yao Ming played for Vancouver, I can guaranteed that there would have been a full house at each game at GM place; half of the fans would be Chinese of course.
yao ming drafted in the 2002 draft. Grizzlies moved to Memphis in 2001

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
speak for yourself, my team just handed San Jose its first home loss of the season!!

at any rather though, aside from MLS and the possible return of the NLL, Vancouver isn't and wont be on any major league sports radars for a while. we still have to get through and have a successful and profitable Olympics before other major leagues take notice.
Haha..the Flames are doing pretty well. I can see them winning the Division, and going quite far in the playoffs. They have really been turning it on lately. The Canucks meanwhile - well, they're just stumbling, but they'll win on Sunday

As for major league sports - I would consider the MLS as being a major league sporting event, and the NLL to a certain degree as well, even though it's quite small. It is the top tier league for its sport (lacrosse). I have a feeling we'll get the MLS for sure, though, because of the deep soccer roots Vancouver has. MLS can't screw that up. They need the support, and Vancouver would be willing to give them that (both financially, and in attendance). I really can't see the Whitecaps struggling attendance wise. They would pretty much sell out. If the Whitecaps secure an MLS franchise, they would pretty much almost go head-to-head with the Canucks. I can see them doing quite well both financially, and attendance wise too.

Hope Kerfoot will build his Soccer Specific Stadium soon, even if it's not in the downtown core, at least somewhere else (i.e. Richmond, Burnaby) - just not Surrey, because that's just too far. Richmond, or Burnaby are much closer alternatives.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 8:35 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Haha..the Flames are doing pretty well. I can see them winning the Division, and going quite far in the playoffs. They have really been turning it on lately. The Canucks meanwhile - well, they're just stumbling, but they'll win on Sunday

As for major league sports - I would consider the MLS as being a major league sporting event, and the NLL to a certain degree as well, even though it's quite small. It is the top tier league for its sport (lacrosse). I have a feeling we'll get the MLS for sure, though, because of the deep soccer roots Vancouver has. MLS can't screw that up. They need the support, and Vancouver would be willing to give them that (both financially, and in attendance). I really can't see the Whitecaps struggling attendance wise. They would pretty much sell out. If the Whitecaps secure an MLS franchise, they would pretty much almost go head-to-head with the Canucks. I can see them doing quite well both financially, and attendance wise too.

Hope Kerfoot will build his Soccer Specific Stadium soon, even if it's not in the downtown core, at least somewhere else (i.e. Richmond, Burnaby) - just not Surrey, because that's just too far. Richmond, or Burnaby are much closer alternatives.
lets not get too far ahead of ourselves with the playoff prediction. historically speaking Calgary needs to bet Vancouver in the playoffs to make it to the Cup.

i agree. however, i would like to reiterate that the Whitecaps DO pretty much sell out every home game at Swangard, hence the need for a new stadium. as i've stated on another thread that if they don't build downtown, they should build next door to the New Westminster Quay in an effort to revitalize that area. that way its a win for both New Westminster, and Kerfoot and the Whitecaps get the waterfront stadium (and probably for a lot cheaper too!)

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:31 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Kerfoot is the one that wants it D/T, he has been courted by other cities already and is not interested. If the waterfront stadium does not happen then I think we'll just see them stay at BC Place.

D/T has a huge advantage of being able to attract lots of walk up fans which is what they are trying to attract.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Kerfoot is the one that wants it D/T, he has been courted by other cities already and is not interested. If the waterfront stadium does not happen then I think we'll just see them stay at BC Place.

D/T has a huge advantage of being able to attract lots of walk up fans which is what they are trying to attract.
But is BC Place a Soccer Specific Stadium? They are going to share that stadium with the Lions, right? Unless the Lions have a plan of building their own stadium that we know nothing about. Just go to Richmond and build the stadium there! haha

If I understand correctly, I thought BC Place was only going to be a temporary solution, until they could get the go ahead with the construction of the waterfront stadium? but since it looks like the whitecaps waterfront stadium is looking more and more dead, they should look at other alternatives for their stadium. i know the downtown location is prime location, but if they aren't allowed to build it there, why continue to push through? Vancouver's lost is someone else's gain. move the project somewhere else. i'm not sure moving it to new westminster would be a great idea. i would rather move it to a place where it's a bit more stable (in terms of surrounding, i.e Burnaby, Richmond, etc)

If Kerfoot is having problems building the waterfront stadium, would this jeopardize their pursuit of an MLS franchise?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
lets not get too far ahead of ourselves with the playoff prediction. historically speaking Calgary needs to bet Vancouver in the playoffs to make it to the Cup.

i agree. however, i would like to reiterate that the Whitecaps DO pretty much sell out every home game at Swangard, hence the need for a new stadium. as i've stated on another thread that if they don't build downtown, they should build next door to the New Westminster Quay in an effort to revitalize that area. that way its a win for both New Westminster, and Kerfoot and the Whitecaps get the waterfront stadium (and probably for a lot cheaper too!)
Swangard is a pretty small (5,000+) stadium. If the Whitecaps had a 15,000-20,000 stadium, they could easily fill that stadium night in and night out. The fans are there, the support is there. I'd vote for Richmond, to build the stadium in. New West is a bit of trek out there, Richmond is only minutes away from Vancouver. I dunno...Richmond has my vote hehe

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Being angry or ranting about your favorite team just shows that you are passionate about your team. A true fan.

However doing things like not attending games, not watching on TV, throwing out your team's jersey in the garbage, only to retrieve it when the team starts winning again and telling everyone you know that you've been a true fan since day one. Now THAT is a bandwaggon jumper.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
According to the stats Vancouvers attendance while not great was quite respectable here are the figures.

Vancouver Grizzlies 1995-96 41 17,183
Vancouver Grizzlies 1996-97 41 16,571
Vancouver Grizzlies 1997-98 41 16,109
Vancouver Grizzlies 1998-99 25 16,719
Vancouver Grizzlies 1999-00 41 13,899
Vancouver Grizzlies 2000-01 41 13,737

Memphis Grizzlies 2001-02 41 14,415
Memphis Grizzlies 2002-03 41 14,910
Memphis Grizzlies 2003-04 41 15,188
Memphis Grizzlies 2004-05 41 16,862

Pretty good considering the product that was put out and the fact the last 2 years everyone knew the team was on the verge of leaving. Sorry the stats source I found ended in 04-05 now sure what Memphis's current numbers are.

Heres some of the targeting they did for the asian population

"With a large Asian population, the team markets heavily to this demographic base. The Grizzlies also have the distinction of being the first team to broadcast its play by play in 3 different languages - English, Spanish and Mandarin!"
Again, those attendance figures were heavily papered. Those counts included free tickets that were given away. i.e. they weren't purchased and they had no way of knowing if they were even being used. Ironically, right around the time when the team greatly curtailed the amounts of free tickets that were given away, the "attendance" magically fell and then stayed pretty much the same the following season.

"With a large Asian population, the team markets heavily to this demographic base"- this was from a group who visited several sports venues who maybe spent 3 days in Vancouver. They hardly would know who the Grizzlies did or didn't market to. The broadcast thing was an idea brought to Orca Bay by international broadcasting students which continues to this day with Canuck telecasts.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Do you know specifically how they didn't market to the Asian community?

Cause for starters, their are SEVERAL Asian basketball leagues that play in and around the lower mainland that were never supported in any shape or form by the Grizzlies management. That's HUNDREDS of basketball playing Asians. Not to mention the numerous Asian student organizations, or cultural societies which are throughout the region.

The Grizzlies DID do a promotion involving the Asian community in I believe their final season which produced one of if not THEE largest crowd of the season. Sadly this came much too late. If something along those lines had been attempted in season one rather than the last one, maybe the Grizzlies would have ridden out the bad times and cashed in when the Canucks became popular again much in the same way that the Raptors do in Toronto. But we'll never know...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 3:47 PM
The New Republic

As far as basketball is concerned, Vancouver is no Nova Scotia. Toronto isn't either. Toronto can support basketball due to its huge population, but Nova Scotia is really the only place in Canada where basketball is part of the culture. Too bad Halifax wasn't 4 times bigger, for the NBA would surely be there already.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation