HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
If you're standing on 7th and Peachtree like mentioned you can also hit, Big Peach Running (Sports), Ligne Roset (Furniture), Eco Denizen (Homegoods), Blick (Art Supply), Experimac (Computer repair/supply), half dozen nail/hair places, nearly every major bank, a UPS all within a few blocks. That doesn't even include the half mile to Tech or the Piedmont Park where you get more crap along the way. Midtown has a heck of a lot. Do we have Walmart, no, but if you're in any residential building in Midtown and see package delivery 4 times a day you'd know buying behavior has changed and most rely on delivery nowadays.
Exactly. Who goes to a brick and mortar store anymore!? I personally avoid retail stores like the plague....

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
If they do that I hope they bring back the original proposal to continue 8th street through Midtown Promenade and on over to Ponce. I know a handful of of residents fought that tooth and nail before, but that extra connectivbtywould be great. Plus that HD/Whole Foods site has amazing belt line connectivity, hopefully it take full advantage of that.
Omg...that would be AMAZING!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
If they do that I hope they bring back the original proposal to continue 8th street through Midtown Promenade and on over to Ponce. I know a handful of of residents fought that tooth and nail before, but that extra connectivbtywould be great. Plus that HD/Whole Foods site has amazing belt line connectivity, hopefully it take full advantage of that.
Before they do that they would need to fix 8th & Argonne. Two-way through traffic on two of the narrowest streets in Midtown doesn't make sense

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I was going to say I just saw the zoning change and was really hoping we'd see a lot more density, particularly condos, brought to the area. 750-900k for a condo though...
Which areas got changed specifically for zoning, from PCM up Ponce to Midtown or how far?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Which areas got changed specifically for zoning, from PCM up Ponce to Midtown or how far?
I was speaking specifically to the parcel east of Venkman's, 750 Ralph McGill. PCM redevelopment proposals I believe are already zoned for mixed use, although they're planning on engaging the community for feedback in the near future, if not already.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:31 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:05 PM

Of course the nimbys are assembling. If you can't handle being in the city, gtfo.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:10 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Of course the nimbys are assembling. If you can't handle being in the city, gtfo.
Exactly!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Exactly!
PCM is essentially a 10 story building in the neighborhood. Initial proposals include 3 buildings each larger than the historical structure. All things considered, and even though I am supportive of higher density development in this area, I am a bit surprised more people are not up in arms about this and the 725 Ponce project. 9-10 story developments is probably more appropriate for the area, with incremental increases of height as developments approach Midtown.

That said, the EST may be growing into Atlanta's "West Loop' if development trends continue at this scale.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
PCM is essentially a 10 story building in the neighborhood. Initial proposals include 3 buildings each larger than the historical structure. All things considered, and even though I am supportive of higher density development in this area, I am a bit surprised more people are not up in arms about this and the 725 Ponce project. 9-10 story developments is probably more appropriate for the area, with incremental increases of height as developments approach Midtown.

That said, the EST may be growing into Atlanta's "West Loop' if development trends continue at this scale.
This is a future transit hub, and I think with all the underutilized land in the area (e.g. Fuqua Whole Foods Shopping Center) I think these are appropriate for the area. I think encouraging high density near transit and low density elsewhere is a smart growth pattern for a city. With current density along the EST and North Ave, the street car would not be utilized appropriately in my opinion, so more density is needed to make rail transit more cost effective.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
This is a future transit hub, and I think with all the underutilized land in the area (e.g. Fuqua Whole Foods Shopping Center) I think these are appropriate for the area. I think encouraging high density near transit and low density elsewhere is a smart growth pattern for a city. With current density along the EST and North Ave, the street car would not be utilized appropriately in my opinion, so more density is needed to make rail transit more cost effective.
I'm baffled by how low-density Ponce and North between Midtown and the EST are. Seeing as this corridor is slated for transit and connects two of the most desirable areas in town, I'm surprised it hasn't seen the same growth corridors like Memorial Drive have. It's just a jumble of suburban-style fast food restaurants and dated strip retail. Is there something in the zoning codes that's preventing denser development?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I'll try to refrain from too many comments on this unless we move discussion over to the MARTA thread. North and EST is the future equivalent of a transfer station, but that doesn't mean it needs 18 stories to be functional. While I am personally not against exploring the extent of density built out for this area, many others in the urban planning field and neighboring residents have solid arguments against 18 story developments in the area. Areas identified in the BeltLine master plan as 9+ stories (dark purple: mixed use or dark orange: residential) are fairly limited. Coincidentally, they including PCM (not the proposed hotel location), the section of Midtown Plaza just north of PCM, what looks like where the ORW switchback is located, and along Boulevard.

Sorry about the quality of the upload.

In general, I just want to ensure the area is less insular than PCM is currently, has seamless street level engagement, substantially improved streetscaping, and providing dedicated lane transit with appropriate signal prioritization, transit shelters, and real time map tracking at the transit stops.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:51 PM

Very tall tower?

With 600K+ foot office space, could these be 30+ foot towers?

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ject-near.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:17 PM

To prevent disappointment, I'm assuming they're going to be squat and wide, like CODA.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Portman Project Will be Speculative

Quote:
Portman Director of Leasing Travis Garland said in an email that the project would be speculative, meaning the company could go forward on construction without any office tenants committing to signing a lease.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
To prevent disappointment, I'm assuming they're going to be squat and wide, like CODA.
Squat or not....that's a lot of SF and a lot more people thrust into south Midtown. So much for overbuilding apartments!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
With 600K+ foot office space, could these be 30+ foot towers?

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ject-near.html
if it's just one office building with residential buildings around it then it should crack 30

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Portman Project Will be Speculative
Missing the best part, the header! "Portman Looking To Build Two Spec Office Towers Next To Coda". I was figuring it would probably be more than one tower, but now we know!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Missing the best part, the header! "Portman Looking To Build Two Spec Office Towers Next To Coda". I was figuring it would probably be more than one tower, but now we know!
I heard GE's Big Data group is looking at this development. Clearly CODA is getting a lot of attention for Portman to want to start Phase II as a speculative development. Also, considering Selig's proposed West Peachtree development is 600K sqft and is 32 stories it is conceivable this could be above 30 stories.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I heard GE's Big Data group is looking at this development. Clearly CODA is getting a lot of attention for Portman to want to start Phase II as a speculative development. Also, considering Selig's proposed West Peachtree development is 600K sqft and is 32 stories it is conceivable this could be above 30 stories.
I was thinking the same thing. Cora must have a lot of interest if he's going spec on this.

As for GE big data looking there... that would be awesome. With that, 1105, NCR, and CODA... it's almost time for me to get a job in that part of town. Really awesome stuff going on in midtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations