HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
"Alliance childrens garden" sounds....dystopian. is that an old name?

edit: yes it is an old name "Town Lake Park Alliance" circa 1984.

sounds like the children are about to march into battle lol
HAHAH, Yeah that's a pretty awful name.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:23 AM
Meh

Chase Bank Tower gold glass?

So, I got a message from someone on Facebook who said he has some of the original gold glass panes from the Chase Bank Tower that he's looking to sell.

I was wondering if there might be someone here who might have an idea for them. They'd be great as an art instillation or as decoration in a restaurant or something similar.

Quote:
Hi Kevin, I saw your name while researching Austin's "Golden Mirror" online.

I happen to have some of those old windows with the gold in them. I'm wondering if you're aware of any collectors who might be interested in them. Currently having them appraised.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 5:11 PM

Every single one of you that complain about downtown parking podiums better be voting Yes on Prop A this November. I don't want to hear any, "Well the train doesn't stop in front of my house" bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Every single one of you that complain about downtown parking podiums better be voting Yes on Prop A this November. I don't want to hear any, "Well the train doesn't stop in front of my house" bullshit.
Damn right.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 11:17 PM

50 years ago Austin had a city population of 250,000 and one highway where today at 1,000,000, six highways/toll roads, and one rail line. What will it be like for the next 50? Hopefully voters get smart and realize by starting building a metro system now Austin will have a widespread metro rail network by 2070 which has always been a foundation for moving people around in any large city.

http://specials.mystatesman.com/austin-1970s/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 3:34 AM

pretty damning if you ask me.

COA audit of our Cultural Centers.

"Ineffective strategic direction and inefficient operations threaten the City’s ability to increase
cultural opportunities. The 2018 voter-approved bond funding was allocated without key strategic
documents in place for the majority of the cultural centers. Further, bond funding was awarded to
a cultural center owned and run by a non-profit even though there are existing maintenance and
accessibility issues at City-owned facilities. Additionally, oversight of the cultural centers’ operations
did not ensure that services were provided effectively to meet community needs.
We also identified various operational issues which impacted the effectiveness of service delivery
to the community at cultural centers. We performed a peer city review and found that nonprofits
run the majority of similar City-owned centers, and the majority have a department-level arts and
culture agency."

https://www.austinmonitor.com/wp-con...107057E6AE.pdf

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, I got a message from someone on Facebook who said he has some of the original gold glass panes from the Chase Bank Tower that he's looking to sell.

I was wondering if there might be someone here who might have an idea for them. They'd be great as an art instillation or as decoration in a restaurant or something similar.
That is so awesome! I wonder how much they have? Perhaps they can just put the glass back on

It would be pretty cool to have that on a coffee shop or building base somewhere...just a row of gold glass with lots of light splashing it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:57 PM

I agree I am shocked by how much i like the photos of the gold chase tower. would stand out and i bet would look crazy good during sunsets.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
I agree I am shocked by how much i like the photos of the gold chase tower. would stand out and i bet would look crazy good during sunsets.
And sunrises. I drove up and down I35 both going to and coming home from work at the old IBM plant. I always looked at the downtown buildings as I drove by and there was considerable glare bouncing of the brass glass and I mean considerable. Still, it was one of my favorite buildings at the time. To be honest, there weren't all that many to choose from back then. Its still a handsome building. But I can say with certainty, the brass was aging poorly and there was staining all along the edges, maybe not all of the panels, but a bunch of them. If I recall, the glare and condition of the glass panels had something to do with the removal of them, besides the new owners wanting to give the tower an updated exterior. If someone can find a close up of the building clad in those brass panels, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
And sunrises. I drove up and down I35 both going to and coming home from work at the old IBM plant. I always looked at the downtown buildings as I drove by and there was considerable glare bouncing of the brass glass and I mean considerable. Still, it was one of my favorite buildings at the time. To be honest, there weren't all that many to choose from back then. Its still a handsome building. But I can say with certainty, the brass was aging poorly and there was staining all along the edges, maybe not all of the panels, but a bunch of them. If I recall, the glare and condition of the glass panels had something to do with the removal of them, besides the new owners wanting to give the tower an updated exterior. If someone can find a close up of the building clad in those brass panels, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.
Back about 40 years ago I attended a luncheon in the Headliners Club on the top floor of the bank tower.
Prior to the lunch, I overheard two out of town guests Looking out the windows and commenting What a “depressing looking downtown” it was.
Today they would have to admit it has changed quite a bit.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:42 PM
クラブトクヨ

https://www.fdiintelligence.com/article/78346

Austin ranks pretty high considering the other cities measured.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yes, General, those panels did not age well. A few decades ago, long before it was reskinned, I worked a couple of blocks north of what was then known as Bank 1 Tower. That gold glass looked great from afar, but driving into that reflected light was like looking directly at the sun. This was only a problem for a short, 10-15 minute window each day but you did not want to get stuck in that. You had to be extra vigilant when driving because cars in front of you would hit the brakes when they hit the blinding light. When drivers got zapped by the reflected light, they'd see spots and then sometimes bump into parked trucks or cars in front of them because they couldn't focus. Pedestrians shouted and flipped off cars that were turning directly into them. People complained for years before they finally reskinned the building.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:39 PM

lol thats a great anecdote. there are a few spots on 620N where you drive straight into the sunrise. such a scary feeling

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:38 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
lol thats a great anecdote. there are a few spots on 620N where you drive straight into the sunrise. such a scary feeling
Growing up, I drove into the sunrise in the mornings on my way to school and into the sunset going home each day. The sun was always just below my car's visor...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 9:02 PM

I think we have reached peak cranage until the economy improves. We have more cranes scheduled to come down than up. But there are so many cranes up and more coming, so there will still be a lot of cranes swinging around our skies for a while. Here are some of the more notable comings and goings in Central Austin.

Going up (both rescheduled)
2400 Seton: 9/11-9/13
Avenue Hyatt Centric: 09/18-09/20

Coming down:
Block 36: 9/18-9/20
5th & Brazos: 9-25-9/27
Hilton Garden Inn: 9/25-9/28
The Quincy: 10/09-10/11

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 25, 2020 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 9:40 PM

Has anyone taken photos of Block 36 semi-recently? It's an interesting project but I haven't seen anything on it since March.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Has anyone taken photos of Block 36 semi-recently? It's an interesting project but I haven't seen anything on it since March.
Framing and sheathing is up as of my drive thru downtown yesterday but that's about it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:07 AM

I'm planning a night trip to downtown this weekend. Are there still activities going on I should be aware of? I don't want to drive somewhere I could regret.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:33 PM

Not to my knowledge, I think that stuff simmered down quite a bit

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:38 PM

Downtown is calm. Farmers market is going strong on Sat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin