HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:46 PM

Two-thirds of Winnipeggers believe there should be more separated bike lanes - and the majority of car drivers support as well!

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...486785171.html.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:01 PM

100% of this Winnipegger wants a bike rack installed on every bus.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 10:42 PM

Yeah, that should be a no-brainer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 11:27 PM

So...anyone think the bike lane connecting Main & Assiniboine to The Forks south entrance, via The North West Company parking lot, is ever going to be completed? Did the City just really piss off the NWC?

They could at least fill in that dangerous hole in the sidewalk. https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88692...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
So...anyone think the bike lane connecting Main & Assiniboine to The Forks south entrance, via The North West Company parking lot, is ever going to be completed? Did the City just really piss off the NWC?

They could at least fill in that dangerous hole in the sidewalk. https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88692...7i13312!8i6656
That's where all the executives and upper management park, they will not lose those spots for anything.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They used to have that on quite a few buses. What happened?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Also moved from the P&M thread:

Maybe, but not necessarily. According to a recent Statistics Canada report, cycling is more common for those in higher income households and among those with higher levels of education. The report speculates that flexible work hours for professionals and availability of dedicated biking infrastructure in higher income areas might explain the higher rates of cycling among higher socioeconomic segments of society. However, there are certainly those who commute by bike (or foot) because they can't afford a car).

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../14788-eng.htm

I have also seen some research from the US suggesting a higher level of education, rather than income, is most associated with bike commuting. For instance, one US study found that individuals with a graduate degree are most likely to commute to work. Of course having a graduate degree doesn't always equate to a high income (as some graduates of philosophy have discovered).
There is a correlation between physical activity and income. Higher income people are more likely to be athletic. When is the last time you saw a morbidly obese cyclist?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I think it was a pilot project to gauge interest. According to the transit website the rapid transit buses still have them. Never paid attention. Also there are bike lockers at the rapid transit stations.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't think I ever saw one bike on those on bus bike racks. Always saw them empty.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't think I ever saw one bike on those on bus bike racks. Always saw them empty.
It's one of those all-or-nothing things. You can't do multimodal commutes (bike + bus) if you don't 100% know that your bus is going to have one. If not every bus is equipped with one, or if they only hold two bikes, you run the risk of getting to the station and being SOL (no bike rack or bike rack full).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I've never seen a bike mounted on one of those, whereas in Vancouver, it was common to see bikes on them.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post

The issue is that it's three parties trying to figure it out – NWC, City, The Forks (they manage Gibraltar Trail). It's crazy they haven't at least paved it for now. Hoenestly if the just removed the trees/planting there and moved the bus stop a bit, it would probably be enough room.

I believe The Forks was looking at a way to offset the parking, possibly offering them a few spots on the other side of the building/tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
That's where all the executives and upper management park, they will not lose those spots for anything.
The city could just expropriate if if they wanted, but they're trying to play nice first.

Quote:
Only on a select few RT routes have them, and they're denoted on Navigo – but not every bus on those routes have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I've never seen a bike mounted on one of those, whereas in Vancouver, it was common to see bikes on them.
The issue is so few have them that it's completely unreliable and unrealistic to even consider it an option, ever. I think there's some ridiculously low number like 10 busses that have them – why would anyone use that with the chance they'll be waiting forever or not even have the option to get back that way.

In Minneapolis EVERY bus has bike racks in the summer, and they're always used. I think if we had that many, or even a reasonable number like every other bus, they'd get used. There's probably lots of people that bus downtown or to U of M for example that want to bus because it's far, but would love to have a bike for use during the day downtown or on campus.

With all that new money coming in for transit – I'd love to see a couple less new busses, and that money going to outfit lots (all) of busses with bike racks. Doesn't make sense that only RT routes have them because there's safe bioke lockers at the stations!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
There is a correlation between physical activity and income. Higher income people are more likely to be athletic. When is the last time you saw a morbidly obese cyclist?
Gary Lawless

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
The issue is that it's three parties trying to figure it out – NWC, City, The Forks (they manage Gibraltar Trail). It's crazy they haven't at least paved it for now. Hoenestly if the just removed the trees/planting there and moved the bus stop a bit, it would probably be enough room.

I believe The Forks was looking at a way to offset the parking, possibly offering them a few spots on the other side of the building/tracks.

The city could just expropriate if if they wanted, but they're trying to play nice first.
Well it's been what 2 years now that we've had this nice bike lane that is totally pointless because it just empties onto a sidewalk right beside a busy bus stop. They've played nice long enough, time to take the gloves off.

All this nonsense over like 6 parking spots. Maybe NWC should move their office out to the Tuxedo business park if that's their mentality.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:45 PM

^It was built last summer. And again – The Forks built and owns the trail from Main under the tracks. While I agree it’s awful (that’s on my commute) it’s not as simple as the city being lazy. The Forks built that in hopes the city would be able to connect it to Assiniboine. Expropriation is (rightly) not something the city just does on a whim.

But yes - it needs to be paved in the meantime. Dangerous and gotta be impossible to get by in a wheelchair.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:45 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Because in Winnipeg only a few random buses had them.

If you can't count on your bus having a bike rack why would you ever attempt to bike somewhere to catch a bus for the rest of your trip?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:41 PM

Good CBC article on why you can't leave your bike outside unattended in this city...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4739811

Between the sorry state of cycling infrastructure throughout most of the city and the fact that an army of addicts uses bikes as a form of currency for obtaining meth, it's really a small wonder that anyone cycles as a form of transportation (as opposed to recreation) in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:08 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good CBC article on why you can't leave your bike outside unattended in this city...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4739811

Between the sorry state of cycling infrastructure throughout most of the city and the fact that an army of addicts uses bikes as a form of currency for obtaining meth, it's really a small wonder that anyone cycles as a form of transportation (as opposed to recreation) in Winnipeg.
And yet cycling still happens and is surely increasing. Just imagine if we improved cycling infrastructure and came up with some solutions for meth addicts and such.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Any word on when the bike lanes on McDermot/Bannatyne are going to be done?

Its a disaster right now trying to navigate a bike down McDermot in traffic at the end of the work day.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:57 PM

^I ride to work most days and park in a high theft area downtown. Never had a theft or attempted theft at work, but I use a good quality U-lock. I once parked my bike near Thom Bargen on Graham and someone cut off my cable lock (used to secure my seat) but they gave up when they realized I also had a U-lock through the frame. So I'm out $20 for a cable lock, but still have my bike. It really sucks that desperate people steal bikes to feed an addiction, but sadly it's probably to poorest folks who are mostly victimized because they can't afford a good lock or don't have a secure garage to lock up their bike.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan