HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:09 AM
Heart of the Continent

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:40 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Up 5.5% first quarter, 8.8% second quarter ... summer is expected to see a boost as well with the Canada Games. If they keep this rate up the airport will add another 250000 this year. Might just reach 5 million a year by 2020. Looks good!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

I wish they still issued actual traffic numbers.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22 View Post
Hello everyone! It also appears that westjet has canceled service from Winnipeg to Montreal according to their winter schedule! That is how pathetic they are. Still think air canada is bad?
I wonder If this will lead to more flights through YOW or YYZ. I would've thought with Bell buying MTS last year that there would be more flights to Montreal for business travel to the HQ. Maybe Flair will try this route when they release their winter routes in a few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:37 PM

Westjet is definitely downgrading direct service from Winnipeg. Fort Lauderdale also seems to be gone and as mentioned in other posts Orlando and lasvegas are reduced. They are only adding one extra flight to YYZ per day and they are doing all of this very quietly which is odd. They just don't seem reliable anymore.
Hopefully other airlines will make up for the reduced service.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:26 PM
Heart of the Continent

Westjet is becoming a hub and spoke carrier, because, surprise, surprise, Air Canada isn't stupid, and it actually works.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Westjet is becoming a hub and spoke carrier, because, surprise, surprise, Air Canada isn't stupid, and it actually works.
Unless something bad happens at a hub and then it's a cluster....

Westjet has ambitions to be everything to everybody and I don't think it is to their advantage to do so. Westjet is so liked because they didn't operate like a traditional Canadian airline of the time. Becoming the reincarnation of Canadian Airlines will probably be their downfall.

Southwest makes a decent case for the point-to-point North American travel thing. It is the only major US airline that hasn't taken a trip through bankruptcy court in the last 20 years either.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:05 PM

So If Westjet is becoming a Hub and Spoke carrier... What happens to airports like YEG and YWG? They aren't technically hubs for Westjet however they are more like focus cities.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:23 PM

If I have to connect in toronto I would rather fly air Canada with more frequent service out of yyz, star alliance perks for frequent travelers and let's face it terminal 1 is far nicer than terminal 3. With westjet mostly being the same price their advantage was direct service. They have so much going on that Maybe this will indeed Lead to their downfall. But ywg will get hit pretty bad as they send all their planes to yyz, yyc and yvr unless other airlines step in. we have to see if flair airlines will take advantage of westjet pulling out.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:26 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie00 View Post
So If Westjet is becoming a Hub and Spoke carrier... What happens to airports like YEG and YWG? They aren't technically hubs for Westjet however they are more like focus cities.
We'll lose a few direct flights - that's about it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22 View Post
Westjet is definitely downgrading direct service from Winnipeg. Fort Lauderdale also seems to be gone and as mentioned in other posts Orlando and lasvegas are reduced.
I just got back from London, UK on Saturday (went for 2 weeks), via the direct flight to/from Winnipeg and Gatwick airport on Westjet. Both flights were pleasant enough, both on time. Took about 8 hours flight time each way. Flew right over Nuuk, Greenland on the way. Those direct flights to London cut down the travel time by a good 3-4 hours generally so it makes the trip much more pleasant.

Winnipeg may be further west of Toronto but it's also not as far south which is an advantage for Winnipeg when looking at the flight path (it goes north-east over Hudson's Bay), so you wouldn't gain much distance to London when going to Toronto first because you're actually backtracking south to an extent (away from the North-east path you need to take to get to London). Both planes seemed pretty busy and sold. Costs $400 each way, would definitely travel to the UK again on the westjet direct flight, it's too bad it only runs on Saturdays.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:37 AM

With the new terminal opening up at YFB sometime later this year I wonder if we will get a direct flight once again. I remember a few years ago that First Air flew the route but cancelled it. Currently the only southern cities you can fly to direct out of YFB are to Montreal and Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:26 PM

I did a double take this morning when I saw an Emirates widebody descending over River Heights... turns out there was a diversion of EK's Dubai-Dallas flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...250Z/OMDB/CYWG

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:15 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I did a double take this morning when I saw an Emirates widebody descending over River Heights... turns out there was a diversion of EK's Dubai-Dallas flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...250Z/OMDB/CYWG
If anyone could get pictures of this one at YWG that would be fantastic. Probably won't happen again!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:37 AM

Flair expands out of Edmonton makes it there transfer hub...

And Canada Jetlines is doing their route map
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...line-1.4284017

Wonder if we will have Hamilton and Waterloo or just the one along with Edmonton... would be nice to see them expand into the US fr YWG..

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 8:05 PM

Still upset we went from the planned administrative offices and a key airport for Newleaf to essentially nothing of importance to Flair, all in about a 3-4 year period. People want to worry about trying to court the Olympics of corporate expansions when we can't even hold onto startups like Newleaf or Skip the Dishes.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:29 PM
Community Guy

Very impressive airport. Right sized and maybe the nicest arrivals area I have been to.

That road into town...not so great.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:00 PM

^The road has been a looong debated topic. There were proposals to beautify that part of Route 90 then the city decided it was impossible, something along the lines of the ground couldn't support it? Some BS excuse. Even if they just covered the fences along R90 in vines it'd be a massive upgrade.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:08 PM
Community Guy

Just needs a repave and some better light sequencing/no lefts.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Just needs a repave and some better light sequencing/no lefts.
The bridge/interchange it leads to to take you downtown are about to go through a (likely) billion dollar overhaul. Head over to Roads & Infrastructure as it's currently being debated, ahaha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan