HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Just a guess but when Graham was made bus-only any that were previously on York and St Mary's likely moved there. It is also only one block from York to Broadway which has limited bus service.
Negative. Some routes were moved off Portage to Graham though such as the 18. Used to have a route that went down Carlton as well from Portage to Broadway. Can't recall which one though.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Thanks. They seem to be doing some work on Garry and Fort right now with pipes so maybe that was an unexpected but necessary delay. Still a bit of a bummer.

Do you know if they are going with the 1way on Garry, 1way on Fort bike lane layout (so each street gets a protected bike lane, going in the direction with traffic) or if it was going to be just on Garry (2 way traffic bikeline on Garry - nothing on Fort). Last I saw it was just the 2 way on Garry which is better than nothing but not the best option.
I believe the plan is 2 way on Garry AND 1 way on Fort IIRC.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:37 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

"Bicycle" transport is not "rapid transit"

IMHO, maybe there should be a separate thread just for bicycle/bike lane/bike path discussions, 'cause these are not "rapid transit" in the least.

I am a bicycle commuter myself, so I welcome any and all related discussion of bicycle commuting/recreational riding/planning of new paths/planning of bike lanes...stuff like that.

But it don't belong in Transit/Rapid Transit!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
IMHO, maybe there should be a separate thread just for bicycle/bike lane/bike path discussions, 'cause these are not "rapid transit" in the least.

I am a bicycle commuter myself, so I welcome any and all related discussion of bicycle commuting/recreational riding/planning of new paths/planning of bike lanes...stuff like that.

Everybody knows bikes aren't a "real" form of transportation. Their only real utility is to take people on amusing scenic rides that don't go anywhere that important, like places of employment. People obviously only bike for recreational purposes. So when Winnipeggers demand more bikeways, they're obviously just asking to pave the gravel path on wellington crescent with cement, and not for more bike lanes downtown or on busy arterial streets! Because ogling at a bunch of pretty mansions >>> Getting to workplaces effectively.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:22 PM

Just saw this posted on reddit - adjustable bike lanes project? I like the idea of temporary bikelanes 100% to gauge effect on vehicle / pedestrian traffic, safety, etc. Just no idea why its not being done more across the city in particular where bike lanes are supposed to be going.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/p...geCorridor.stm

Quote:

I'd support that. All my important bike questions get ruined by your rapid transit conversations !

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:38 PM
Speak the truth, then run

This conversation is much more interesting if you replace "bike" with "pneumatic tube."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:31 AM

It's just absurd that they're testing a 100m area. What is that going to tell you? Drop in the TEMPORARY and MOVABLE curbs on the entire length of Sherbrook or Bannatyne. That will give the city, cyclists, and motorists a REAL sense of their effect.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's just absurd that they're testing a 100m area. What is that going to tell you? Drop in the TEMPORARY and MOVABLE curbs on the entire length of Sherbrook or Bannatyne. That will give the city, cyclists, and motorists a REAL sense of their effect.
The test is more basic than that. They are evaluating things like how snow clearing will affect them.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:55 PM

Like Donald said, I think the test is more durability than function. They know the curbs function well from a cyclist perspective. The fact that they're testing this is highly positive. We should see stuff like this widespread over the next few years.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:49 PM

I definitely think it's a step in the right direction, but if they all truly believed something like this "worked" (based on results in other cities, mostly) they should be testing more, or just know that it will work already. It's not like they tested the permanent design on Sherbrook first. Which IMO is still severely lacking proper signage (as all our bike lanes are).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:07 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Database ID Problems with Some Peggo Cards

CTV Winnipeg

Peggo Card Problems for Winnipeg (sic) Woman
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Seems like a database problem to me, where WT is reusing what should be Unique ID for each card.

In database theory, NEVER EVER use the same database ID...else the above happens.

It should be...

1 John Smith,
2 Mary Smith,
3 Shorty Smith,

What WT seems to be doing is...

1 John Smith
1 Mary Smith
2 Shorty Smith

Can't have that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:05 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
It should be...
No, it shouldn't. They shouldn't use the names at all. They're almost certainly using the ten-digit card ID.

They do seem to be having a few minor problems. I put $100 into my card around the beginning of the month, in two $50 transactions. I didn't get the "Peggo card recharged" emails until the 19th. And then I got them again on the 23rd.

But the amount showed up on the card right away, and the card transaction history from their web site matches reality.

I just wish I could load the card online through my bank card. (Customers of a couple banks can. But not most banks, not even through Interac.)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
The test is more basic than that. They are evaluating things like how snow clearing will affect them.
Answer: Destroyed. Same as those yellow pads at intersections.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:08 PM

Yeah, lots of cities are using those plastic curbs. I've never seen them anywhere here - even private parking lots.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Answer: Destroyed. Same as those yellow pads at intersections.
I don't see that many damaged and the ones I do see I wonder if its an installation issue where they were not glued down properly.

That would cause the corners to eventually lift after baking in the hot sun making them a prime target to get caught over the winter in the plow blade and get peeled off the concrete.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, lots of cities are using those plastic curbs. I've never seen them anywhere here - even private parking lots.
City of Winnipeg was specking the recycled plastic ones for their parking lots when Xponential Plasitcs was making them in their plant out of the recycled Oil Bottles in the RM of Springfield (I think on Redonda St by the CP main line).

After the fire(s) in the stockpile closed the plant down I don't know if anybody else makes them in Winnipeg. It may be lest costly to buy concrete from Barkman on Gateway Rd than shipping in the plastic ones from some other part of Canada.

ETA: I just saw that the recycled tire place in the West End makes curbs out of old tires so those could replace the plastic ones.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:37 AM

I can't imagine concrete being cheaper even with shipping costs. In Saskatchewan I'd say half if not more of private lots even use the rubber/plastic ones. Not sure if one or the other is "better" - just find it interesting that you don't see them anywhere here.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Negative. Some routes were moved off Portage to Graham though such as the 18. Used to have a route that went down Carlton as well from Portage to Broadway. Can't recall which one though.
There were bus routes that operated on St. Mary and York Avenues.

Inbound buses from Transcona operated via Main and St. Mary to Edmonton and terminated there. A punch clock was located in the right hand lane on Edmonton just north of St. Mary. They returned to Transcona via Graham.

Talbot buses operated in via Logan, Princess, Donald, Broadway and Edmonton to York, and then returned via York, Smith and King. Evening and weekend service was extended to Assiniboine Ave. via Carlton, Assiniboine and back up Edmonton.

Grey buses were routed the same as Talbot though no service to Assiniboine, and they came off of Higgins not Logan.

The King's Park and St. Norbert buses operated on Carlton. They went in via Smith, Graham, Hargrave and Ellice to Carlton snd then back out down Carlton, York and Donald.

Up until about the mid to late 80s public transport was so much more user friendly as service frequencies were far greater and the adult fare, even in the early 80s, was 25 cents (equivalent to $1.25 in 2017).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:53 PM

Anyone know if the city/transit are planning on dropping the RT branding? Contrary to the design of all the first 4 stations, the IGF station is devoid of RT logos, and has the classic transit logo everywhere - both in signage and physical form. Noticed new pieces up at the Banjo Bowl.

It actually makes sense to me to just keep it all one brand since it's still all buses anyway. No need to confuse - if eventually we get coloured/named lines, they could be RT routes. Since just added more route numbers, there really isn't a reason for the RT branding to exist - especially at a place like Balmoral Station. Just confuses tourists lol.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Anyone know if the city/transit are planning on dropping the RT branding? Contrary to the design of all the first 4 stations, the IGF station is devoid of RT logos, and has the classic transit logo everywhere - both in signage and physical form. Noticed new pieces up at the Banjo Bowl.

It actually makes sense to me to just keep it all one brand since it's still all buses anyway. No need to confuse - if eventually we get coloured/named lines, they could be RT routes. Since just added more route numbers, there really isn't a reason for the RT branding to exist - especially at a place like Balmoral Station. Just confuses tourists lol.
It's not being eliminated. I believe the decision was made to limit RT branding at the IGF station because both Rapid Transit and non-rapid transit routes serve it. There was talk of alternating RT and regular "flying W" logos at the IGF station but that didn't make the final cut.

The other stations (once built) will have RT logos aplenty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan