HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:55 PM
Closed account

This illustrates why planning in Winnipeg is such a challenge. Exactly ZERO staff dedicated to long range planning. How, well, short-sighted of them.

I took this table from the Business Plan document posted on the City web page. If you want a sense of where the City is going, read the entire 280 page report - it has the business plans for all the City services. http://0sum.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/viewpdf.pdf

Last edited by fengshui; Feb 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 8:35 PM
Closed account

Dan Lett of the FP has discovered our Mr. Galston and mentioned him in his blog.
http://www.winnipegfreepress2.com/bl...?p=81#comments
Quote:
If you haven’t, please stop by Rise and Sprawl, a new blog (new to me at least) that is a wonderful source of intelligent thought about urban planning and other issues related to the quality of life in Winnipeg. Particularly engaging his the author’s discussion of the impact of an allegedly soon-to-opn Starbucks on Portage and Main.
I’ll admit to being a Starbucks junkie, although my attraction to the chain has less to do with the coffee (nothing says ‘good morning’ like a $5 cup of joe!) and more to do with the wifi. I travel and it’s too darn convenient to know that I have a wifi connection that works at every Starbucks in the entire world.
I’m particularly interested to see if Starbucks is going for street traffic, or just trying to suck the coffee drinkers out of the Winnipeg Square concourse. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 15 - TRACY BONE - Portage Place - Edmonton Court
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 22 - MANITOBA HAL - MTS Centre - Graham Concourse
It's that time of year again where downtown goers can check out some of Winnipeg's finest talent, every Friday noon-hour, from January 25 until March 28 in select Downtown locations. Artists included are: Twilight Hotel, Sons of York, Manitoba Hal, Tracy Bone, and so many more!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Dan Lett of the FP has discovered our Mr. Galston and mentioned him in his blog.
http://www.winnipegfreepress2.com/bl...?p=81#comments
lol but theres already a wifi hot spot there!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:29 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Winnipeg to consider gunfire-tracking system: mayor
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 | 3:38 PM CT
CBC News

A gunfire-tracking system used in some U.S. cities could help the Manitoba capital reduce firearm crimes, Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz said Wednesday.

The system, called ShotSpotter, uses audio sensors to track and respond to gunfire. The sensors detect gunfire, then its computer system uses acoustic triangulation to determine where the shots were fired. The information is relayed to police dispatchers or 911 operators.

"I believe our neighbour to the south, Minneapolis, uses it, and they've had very good success with it," Katz said.

The company that makes the system claims gunfire has gone down 60 to 90 per cent in areas that have implemented the ShotSpotter system.

Winnipeg officials are already considering using surveillance cameras to prevent crime or catch criminals; ShotSpotter technology could be incorporated into that approach, said Katz, adding that he will ask the Winnipeg Police Service to look into the system.

Katz's comments came as Statistics Canada released a report finding Winnipeg's rate of gun crime was second-highest in the country, after Vancouver.

The mayor described the statistics as disappointing, but not surprising.

Winnipeg had 43.9 gun offences for every 100,000 people in 2006; the national average was 27.5, according to the report.

In 2006, 425 Manitobans were the victims of firearm-related violent crime, about two per cent of the total number of victims of violent crime, according to the report. More than 300 cases took place in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg also reported seven firearm-related homicides (one per 100,000) and 123 robberies involving firearms (17 per 100,000).

The Statistics Canada report notes that guns account for only 2.4 per cent of all violent victimizations in the country. Clubs and other blunt objects are higher with three per cent, and knives make up more than double that at 6.2 per cent.

In 2006, Canadian police reported 190 homicides committed with a firearm, 33 fewer than the previous year.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:53 PM

Here's an interesting post about Sammy from local blog Pissing In The Tent

Newflyer, don't let me down... I'm sure you've got some creative defense on this.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 4:10 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
Here's an interesting post about Sammy from local blog Pissing In The Tent

Newflyer, don't let me down... I'm sure you've got some creative defense on this.
These are mostly, if not all, civil lawsuits. Civil lawsuits are often the way that people with honest differences over business and other matters resolve them. Simply being named as a party to a suit, or bringing such a suit yourself, does not turn you into some sort of nefarious criminal. The blogger needs to dig much deeper into the substance of these proceedings.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:52 PM
BANNED

^ True enough but Sam also had the bad habit of not paying his utility bills until he was threatened with disconnection, although this does not make him a bad person it does show a slight flaw in his moral character. (if I can be so bold to say this)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 7:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ True enough but Sam also had the bad habit of not paying his utility bills until he was threatened with disconnection, although this does not make him a bad person it does show a slight flaw in his moral character. (if I can be so bold to say this)
It does seem like a lot of court proceedings, I agree.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
These are mostly, if not all, civil lawsuits. Civil lawsuits are often the way that people with honest differences over business and other matters resolve them. Simply being named as a party to a suit, or bringing such a suit yourself, does not turn you into some sort of nefarious criminal. The blogger needs to dig much deeper into the substance of these proceedings.
I hear what you're saying, and I'd agree with you if it were just a few cases. But at 33?! That's enough "honest differences" to think there's a pattern to how he conducts his business.

Put it another way, would you partner your business with someone who's been to court 33 times with major banks, investment firms, the queens bench, etc? Likely not. So why do we partner our future with him as mayor?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:26 AM
Starring as himself

Several of these don't obviously involve Katz, several are probate court filings, one is his divorce, and there are a few small claims actions that any businessman might be involved in from time to time. There is also a bankruptcy proceeding and some civil filings, many of which are close in dates and may therefore represent multiple claims relating to a single dispute. I wouldn't get too excited about it without more information about what these were all about.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
Honored Member

I thought it was funny when I saw on that blog that the Queen sued Sam Katz. Funny as hell.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:09 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
I thought it was funny when I saw on that blog that the Queen sued Sam Katz. Funny as hell.
That would be a criminal case, not a lawsuit. All criminal prosecutions in Canada are in the name of Her Majesty the Queen.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That would be a criminal case, not a lawsuit. All criminal prosecutions in Canada are in the name of Her Majesty the Queen.
OK, I see now.

What was that criminal case for??

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
Honored Member

BTW, I find it weird that the criminal cases in Canada are the Queen against a person. In the US, it's usually "The People of the State (or Commonwealth) of XYZ against so-and-so". In federal cases, it's "The People of the United States of America against so-and-so".

But then again, we don't live under a constitutional monarchy.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 1:37 AM
Starring as himself

The U.S. system seems strange in that the defendant is presumably one of "the people" of whatever state he's in and is therefore prosecuting himself.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 4:28 AM

^ I'm sure it all works out in the end...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 4:42 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
^ I'm sure it all works out in the end...
2.3 million behind bars and over 1,000 executed every year... I suppose some people would consider it "working out"...

Thank God that neither North Dakota or Minnesota have the death penalty!!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 8:17 AM
Back from the dead

^There's a few of us up here who would like to see the death penalty applied in a few cases. Besides, compared to China, you guys are amateurs.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 8:20 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
^There's a few of us up here who would like to see the death penalty applied in a few cases. Besides, compared to China, you guys are amateurs.
Trust me, you guys don't want the death penalty. You'll be in the loneliest club among first world nations with it. Us and Japan, just hanging out. Japan is the only other country that has it, and they use it sparingly. Although I will admit that in the northern tier of the US, it's either not the law, or it's almost never used. The only northern state that uses it somewhat is New York. The vast majority of executions happen in The Retarded South.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan