HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:38 PM

Curious to know when they're going to raise the intersection up... and when some sort of plan for Graham will be created lol. Really bugs me.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:52 PM
What could go wrong?

It's been a while....

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:43 PM

Is there a reason why there is no Winnipeg jets branding?

I just looked again at the renders and nothing, there are what looks to be flag poles in the court yard but no flag on it. A few Jets flags will look really sharp IMO!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:47 PM

^ Aren't the lamp-post decorations enough? A Jets theme would be somewhat cheesy.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:51 PM

I guess i didn't notice that, is it this lamp post you are referring to? (bottom center)
I agree on the cheese factor, but that will do lol

The flag will look better

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:54 PM

There's Jets themed lamp posts on the streets around the arena, down Hargarve and other streets. Like every post.

What about Moose branding? They're also TNSE.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:13 PM

When do you suppose the actual Square will be open for the public to wander in?

Lots of commercial space in the podiums - wonder when we'll hear more of the plan for that. Saw the food hall renders earlier, but wonder how/where that's placed and ditto for the LC and anything else new.

So many questions...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:53 PM
What could go wrong?

The square is supposed to open along with the TDS offices....Jul 1, 2018. There will just be construction fencing around tower 2 and the small portion of the square that continued construction requires.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The square is supposed to open along with the TDS offices....Jul 1, 2018. There will just be construction fencing around tower 2 and the small portion of the square that continued construction requires.
I know which fireworks display I'm gonna take in!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:13 PM

Gusto Group (Pizzeria Gusto, Merchant Kitchen) has secured three spaces in TNS.

They will be opening another, larger Pizzeria Gusto. They also got 2 of the "stands" in the market – one is a taco stand by Merchant Kitchen, not sure on the other.

I've heard early that GG somehow secured the rights to hold the liquor licenses for the whole project, as well as all of the service and cleaning contracts – and will sub-contracting them out to the other retail tenants. Not sure if this is still happening, but it's kind of brutal if so.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:10 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:06 AM

Looks like the sidewalk and square are open now. Anyone downtown tinight should take a stroll!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Is there a reason why there is no Winnipeg jets branding?

I just looked again at the renders and nothing, there are what looks to be flag poles in the court yard but no flag on it. A few Jets flags will look really sharp IMO!
I dunno, but am I the only one that thinks the "tour des canadiens" condo tower in montreal with the canadiens hockey logo on the top looks tacky/hokey?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 1:08 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like the sidewalk and square are open now. Anyone downtown tinight should take a stroll!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151056...h/42380341354/

Took a walk by, looks like the square isn't open yet, but the east sidewalk is pretty much clear! I also didn't see that planter that people were worried about a few pages ago, just some trees

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I dunno, but am I the only one that thinks the "tour des canadiens" condo tower in montreal with the canadiens hockey logo on the top looks tacky/hokey?
Was just in Montreal a few weeks back and couldn’t agree more. Nice building and love all of the activity going on around Centre Bell, but they could still fill that tower without going for the Habs fans hearts.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

I don't think there will be Jets logos anywhere – that's not TN's style. This development is about the True North brand. There isn't even Jets logos on the outside of the the arena – TN doesn't like to show off haha.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:56 PM

Travel | Photography (@kalabawtravels) on Instagram: “True North Square looking spectacular even if it is not yet fully done.

Anna Strymbiski (@a_lexis1990) on Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jul 3, 2018 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:27 AM

Overall it's stunning and don't want to nitpick, but if I had one gripe it's the tin siding they used surrounding the parkade/loading dock entrances. It's fine higher up but looks kinda cheap and tacky along the sidewalk.

Also, what is that "Graham Ave" banner in the picture below?! Haven't seen that branding anywhere before – and it's called Graham Mall on all existing signs... is there some rebrand that hasn't really been made public? Is it going to include new streetscaping?? I don't really get what the icon is supposed to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Anna Strymbiski (@a_lexis1990) on Instagram

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Also, what is that "Graham Ave" banner in the picture below?! Haven't seen that branding anywhere before – and it's called Graham Mall on all existing signs... is there some rebrand that hasn't really been made public? Is it going to include new streetscaping?? I don't really get what the icon is supposed to be...
Good catch, 'mall' is on it's way out.

Quote:
MARCH 8, 2018
Graham Mall the next Corydon?
Over the years I’ve seen many streets come to life and Graham Mall in downtown Winnipeg is definitely one that Winnipeggers can look forward to.

In my younger years, I remember walking up and down Corydon Avenue frequently. At the time it was a mediocre street with only 3 or 4 great restaurants and was surrounded by a deteriorating neighbourhood, with many dilapidated homes. Despite those things, it had the structure of a potential pedestrian-friendly street with store fronts every 30 – 40 feet, although they were mostly vacant at the time. Fast forward to today and Corydon Avenue has become one of the most vibrant streets in our city and home to a great Italian district, Little Italy.

At the age of 18 I was selling real-estate, sipping on espressos every day and bumping into my heroes like Bova, Mock, Consatinni, Ring, Fletcher and Rosonoski. Together they had a vision to transform Corydon Avenue into something better for their community, championing the creation of the Corydon BIZ. Millions of dollars were infested in infrastructure and an innovative housing rehabilitation program, which helped kick-start this incredible neighborhood.

I remember the energy of young people wanting to open up local shops, and seeing young families wanting to live in the neighbourhood to be close to the excitement and contribute to the community. The vision that my mentors once had for Corydon Avenue had finally come to life and it was so bright and compelling. Today, Corydon is not only a place to hang out but also a community that Winnipeggers want to live in.

Graham Mall has the same essence that Corydon did. It’s a very unique street that has the potential to be just as big. City planners would describe the area as “walkable” with “scaled properly” or “great bones” (we like creating our own language). The commercial storefronts from Vaughn to Hargrave are multiple, small, and ripe for transformation. The walk is already enjoyable with a series of local and national coffee shops, sandwich and soup stores, and sprinkled with the Downtown Winnipeg Farmers’ Market and more! All the elements of a great street are now visible. Bolstered by 100’s of buses which bring 1000’s of Winnipeggers downtown to this street daily, Graham Mall is coming alive.

The energy behind this transformation has been a series of mega projects, which has reversed the flow of people back downtown. The expanded Millennium Library and the new RBC Convention Centre have all spurred the creation of Centrepoint, True North Square and hopefully SkyCity Centre in the near future. Located at the east side of the mall, Bell MTS Place and the emerging TrueNorth Square will be an anchor to be reckoned with, in the emerging SHED district.

In fact, in speaking with over 1,000 Downtowners recently, the name Graham Mall is no longer understood by the public. Graham Avenue resonates more. Downtowners already recognize the shift and business people notice a different vibe, to the extent that many feel it’s time for the complete renewal of sidewalks, lights standards and more. The mall after all is 25 years old. It’s time for a makeover and our City departments agree. We all agree that the timing is perfect, as there is more development that can be attracted.

There are actually two great re-development challenges in the immediate area, which include the historic and majestic Hudson’s Bay, and the ill-conceived Portage Place Mall. Both have the potential to be transformed into mixed-use buildings with people living, working and more.

Authentic, local, and unique, this is the direction that Graham Ave. needs to go. It’s now up to the politicians to invest strategically in the next round of tax increment financing and downtown infrastructure renewal to get there.

- Stefano Grande CEO - Downtown Winnipeg BIZ

URL: https://tmblr.co/ZpqNLw2VuL0Ff

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:39 PM

Good to hear that they’re at least thinking about it, but that seems like the extent so far.

I really wish some of these BIZs would consult agencies or outside marketing people before making these neighbourhood marketing plans. That logo is so generic and boring, no personality and nothing pulling in aspects of the area, and the words “unique local authentic” make me want to puke on someone. Don’t even get me started on the arrows... it’s really embarrassing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan