HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Very cool.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:35 AM

Kind of looks like a seedy motel on stilts. Hopefully the finishes will save it from looking overbearingly cheap.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:43 AM
BANNED

I just zoomed in, and I pray that is not aluminum cladding.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:25 AM

So is there nothing on the main floor of the eastern building now, or is it just transparent in the render?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:46 PM

weird rendering, the staircase just drops off 15 ft?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Kind of looks like a seedy motel on stilts. Hopefully the finishes will save it from looking overbearingly cheap.
I agree. With quality materials this could turn out pretty nicely, but if it's done on the cheap it has the potential to be absolutely horrendous.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
weird rendering, the staircase just drops off 15 ft?
^^^It turns at the northern edge and goes into the 2nd storey of the core of the building. The core of the building is at the northern end and houses the elevators and "lobby". This allows for the security of entering and exiting the building through a main entrance.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:20 PM

The disconnection of both of these building to the Pumping Station and street level is kinda disturbing. I hope there will be something on the street level and not just sitting on skinny stilts.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:46 PM

Will the developer be supplying grappling hooks for people to get into the building?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:12 PM

Looks kind of silly. But that's just my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:13 PM

I truthfully don't understand the need they felt to almost fully expose the ends of the pumphouse on both sides, makes the building kind of awkward. Would have much preferred a more integrated building, still leaving the outer ends intact (but inside the new part like RRC), and maybe just had a small cut out on the main floor of one side so you could see from the street.

Will wait now and see how it turns out, but the render looks like they tried way too hard to keep the pumphouse visible as much as possible... The underbelly of 62M looks nowhere near as nice as the renders made it seem with all the concrete, so I fear this one.

EDIT: sp

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I truthfully don't understand the need they felt to almost fully expose the ends of the pumphouse on both sides, makes the building kind of awkward. Would have much preferred a more integrated building, still leaving the outer ends intact (but inside the new part like RRC), and maybe just had a small cut out on the main floor of one side so you could see from the street.

Will wait now and see how it terms out, but the render looks like they tried way too hard to keep the pumphouse visible as much as possible... The underbelly of 62M looks nowhere near as nice as the renders made it seem with all the concrete, so I fear this one.
Agreed 100%. The Pumphouse is being treated with all this deference, as though it is some architectural masterpiece... it's not, it's a pumphouse. The whole thing looks pretty awkward. While I hope it turns out OK I'm not convinced that it will... a more conventional approach might have been a better bet here.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:19 PM

^Yeah, it's the interior that is the big historic piece, the outside is a fairly nondescript 1 storey brick building. Nice, but nothing special.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:29 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post

From alstonproperties.com

30 units in the first new build, 70 on the second. First building completion is spring 2019, second is spring 2020
It didn't stray too far from the first renders. I guess the devil is in the details.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:51 PM

And hopefully however it turns out, they actually finish it. The mess left unfinished on the Galpern/Porter Building along the east side on Rorie is disgusting. It's been like that for over a year now with no signs of changing. Looks like crap!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:54 PM

I think the development looks edgy and cool. we'll see how it goes I guess.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
And hopefully however it turns out, they actually finish it. The mess left unfinished on the Galpern/Porter Building along the east side on Rorie is disgusting. It's been like that for over a year now with no signs of changing. Looks like crap!
Anyone know what the deal is here? I find it hard to believe they can leave it like that with those being the entrances to the units right off the street. Part of the agreement with the city to encroach there was that it was to be fenced.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:31 AM
BANNED

I like it. Not sure why you are all so hell bent on crap at the bottom. The additions need to look as if they are not part of the old building. It sets it apart then. Makes it unique and not run of the mill. It's also blends in well with the other buildings further down the street. Especially the UFO. And I didn't see any of you all protesting that it didn't have anything on the main lvl. Heck it doesn't have anything for what 6 stories ?

Embrace change. Don't hold on to your stucco dreams. You will get more crap like the ALT.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Normally I would not be happy with the stilts, but they allow the Pump house to be viewed, not hidden.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:57 AM

needs more red baby gates!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan