HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:16 PM
Movin' on up

Does anyone know if there will be any kind of "mall" type scenario similar to that in YYC? It would be nice to give those in the airport some variety while they wait for their flights. Or even some sort of children's playground, again similar to that in YYC? Anything to give the airport some flavor instead of just being recognized as a "terminal".

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Does anyone know if there will be any kind of "mall" type scenario similar to that in YYC? It would be nice to give those in the airport some variety while they wait for their flights. Or even some sort of children's playground, again similar to that in YYC? Anything to give the airport some flavor instead of just being recognized as a "terminal".
are curent one has a mall... and a play area

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 8:10 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
are curent one has a mall... and a play area
you mean "our .. not "are"....

but anyways i do believe the new terminal will have a good amount of retail and food services.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 8:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
ya put them to work in the jobs no body wants like tim hortans, seven 11, ect ect ect
It's a good idea, except then it gets labelled "workfare" and we're now infringing upon the rights of people to suck at the government's teat.

So, we end up with the paradoxical situation of zero unemployment (negative, for all intents and purposes) and able-bodied people still begging for handouts.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 8:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It's a good idea, except then it gets labelled "workfare" and we're now infringing upon the rights of people to suck at the government's teat.

So, we end up with the paradoxical situation of zero unemployment (negative, for all intents and purposes) and able-bodied people still begging for handouts.
time for change but thats guna be an ugly fight

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 9:11 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
time for change but thats guna be an ugly fight
Government handouts should factor in job availability.

..........ewwww did I say that?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:31 AM

Moving of the Bus Terminal

I've been to the bus terminal, and without a doubt, it is indeed in need of a make over, everything seems dated (So was the airport, but of course that is getting taken care of). I am definitely in favour of moving it to the new airport. Moving it away from downtown can reduce the "worries" of 'illegal' activities among the travellers. We can never guarantee a place being completely safe. There is also another major problem with the downtown terminal, PARKING! In today's automobile society, parking is a major consideration when going anywhere, because chances are we'll be arriving in a car. There is very limited parking spaces at the downtown terminal for regular pick up and drop off, no more 25 spaces (most being occupied by taxis). I've only been there a handful of times, so I'm not sure if there is this "long-term" parking or parkade located somewhere else (I know that there is parkade of The Bay not far away). How else are we supposed to fill the 1500+ spaces at the new airport terminal, keeping in mind the old parkades won't be demolished either? Moving the two modes of transportation close to one another can allow travelers from remote communties/cities such as Portage la Praire, Brandon, Dauphin, etc... a more convenient travelling experience since they won't have to shuttle, bus, taxi their way to the airport after busing to Winnipeg. There are many hotels in the airport region, of all price ranges for tourists. There is transit service to the airport already, route 15, that takes you basically to downtown, it would only require a little rerouting or addition of buses to compensate for the relocation of the terminal, keeping in mind that the airport is not that far from downtown, only a 10 minute drive (non rush hour traffic), so I don't any major inconveniences. This can perhaps help "push" the need for a rapid transit system, since we are concentrating people to a common location which is the way a rapid transit system works, servicing a CONSTANT flow of riders. I will stop here about Rapid Transit as I realize that is discussed in another thread. I really hope to see improvements continue on in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 1:33 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Welcome to the thread Rich..

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:30 PM
Movin' on up

Well, I'll put it this way. IMO, if urban spraw is really a serious issue for Winnipeg, then the more development there is away from downtown, there will be a higher need for fast, quick transportation not only throughout downtown, but to other areas of the city such as the airport.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:12 PM
Movin' on up

Is anyone planning on flying to Salt Lake City in the near future?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Nope. But I would imagine the airport there will be used more of a connection hub rather than tourist destination.

I've driven through Salt Lake a couple times. All I seem to remember about it are the abundance of blond girls and buffet restaurants...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:32 PM
iron ring

Looks like the preliminary 2006 numbers are in, 3,386,538 passengers flew through YWG last year. Should see 3.5m+ for '07.

I have no plans to fly through SLC, my next flight is via DEN and probably mostly flying through ORD or MSP for the rest of the year. I still think the YWG-SLC route was a strange choice. Although it's geographically a good connecting location for the US southwest, and DL can make use of NW's frequent flyer program, it's been poorly marketed, DL has little awareness in YWG, pricing has been high when I've checked, NW doesn't codeshare on it, and it really doesn't have much to draw people to the route (very few passengers to SLC itself, the LAS market has AC and WS nonstops, the PHX market has WS nonstops, SLC is an okay connection to LAX but it has to compete with DEN, MSP, YYC and even YVR connections that offer better frequencies and prices). We'll see how it goes, particularly in the summer, but personally I'd rather see an E170 operated by UA or AC to LAX as a better fit for the market than SLC.

On the terminal building issue - I know bids closed a few weeks ago, anyone know when the contract award will be?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:42 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Nope. But I would imagine the airport there will be used more of a connection hub rather than tourist destination.

I've driven through Salt Lake a couple times. All I seem to remember about it are the abundance of blond girls and buffet restaurants...

Tons of blondes!! .... reminds me of California, only the girls are natural blondes.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:37 PM
Movin' on up

I too found it somewhat strange for SLC as a direct link to Winnipeg. But since it is a major airline hub, and also works for Calgary and Edmonton who also have direct flights to various SW American cities as well, maybe it will work for Winnipeg too. Only time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 9:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hopefuly i am in town when they start construction... i am heading to belize in the next cuple weeks by car and will be flying back will be taking the dslr so hopefuly when i get back to the peg i will have somthing sweet to look at

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:47 AM
ILYR

Some new construction images of the completed parkade and some of the airside where they are building the new terminal. From the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport website (www.waa.ca),

Last edited by ILYR; Jan 19, 2007 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:50 AM

love the one of sunrise(sunset?) looks so desolate and alone.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
love the one of sunrise(sunset?) looks so desolate and alone.
that sunset is amazing

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:22 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
that sunset is amazing
... and thats just the friggin parkade ... wait until the amazing terminal building is in place... THEN you'll have something amazing!!!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 5:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ooo yaaa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan