HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:26 PM

London Coffee Talk Thread

For off topic discussions.

NO SPAM!

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

well now, what is the best coffee shop in London?

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 8:05 PM

Tim Hortons

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 2:25 AM
Londoner

Little red roaster!!!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:14 AM

Does any bodey know what the mobile crane was for in front of colbourne center?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 1:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Coffee Culture (Richmond Row) has a very nice ambiance.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:39 PM

I saw the funniest thing yesterday a Toronto cab was DT for some reason.I wonder why?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:37 PM

For some reason London has a very interesting roofline. Like not all of our highrises are just boxes though a great deal of them are. Tricar though their building may not always look the best on the out side they sure have a interesting roofline

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Old East Village Coffee Shop next door to Aeolian Hall! They sell Fire Roasted Coffee, which has locations on Wonderland South and in the Confederation Building. Yummm!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 1:35 AM

Expanding the coffee theme, what about the best and worst London restaurants? I'll start...

Mongolian Grill
One of my favourite places, hands down. It's pricey, but well worth it. Great service, and you can make an endless array of dishes. They have a deal on Sleeman beer on Monday nights, I think it's like $2 a glass. The martini bar upstairs is really good too.

Pita Pita
Located on Richmond just south of the University gates, they make a great schwarma at a great price. The added bonus is that they sell a tub of fries at a rock-bottom price, and you can get ANYTHING they have on them - ketchup, Frank's Red Hot sauce, hummus, garlic sauce...

Oar House/McGinnis Landing
Wednesday night is Wacky Wednesday, when beer is really cheap and certain featured menu items are very low priced. Get there early, because it gets packed by 9 PM.

Spaghetti Eddy's
I was looking forward to a nice pasta place. What I got was a disappointment - the so-called huge pasta portion was smaller than most restaurants serving pasta, and it was basically plain noodles with canned tomato sauce that I could've made at home. The "garlic bread" was a small roll with butter on it and almost no garlic flavour.

Nate's
The stand at the northwest corner of the Covent Garden Market sells a D-list schwarma at the same price as the other schwarma places with higher quality, but they also charge 50 cents to add hummus. The staff isn't very friendly either.

Symposium
I went there back in 2006 and 2007, and it was impressive for breakfast, dinner, and dessert. I've heard from several sources that they have gone way downhill in the last couple years. I haven't been in a long time so I don't know for sure.

TJ Baxter's
Good food and pub fare, but the service isn't great. They seem to have zero tolerance for cheering during a hockey game, as if they are trying to be Michael's on the Thames. Not surprisingly, the last two times I went during an evening, the place was deserted.

Crabby Joe's
Overall good food, and I love the Combo Burger and a few other items, but don't get the chicken wings. They are always dried out for some reason, and I've heard it's like that at several locations.

Angelo's
Very expensive for the quality you get. Can be very slow.

Sebastian's
Relatively good value for the quality you get, and a wide selection of ready food and custom-made sandwiches. They also carry Tazo Tea from Starbucks.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jul 8, 2009 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 10:21 PM

Hmm...I'll have to add to that:

On the Fork (in Museum London): Probably the tastiest and most unique food the city has to offer.

Massey's: best Indian food ever.

The Tasting Room: appropriately named, wonderful food.

Garlic's: see above.

Kambi: Best Chinese food.

Other restaurants I have yet to try but have heard great things about: The Only on King, MINT, Copperfields, Marienbad.

Best bar: Chaucer's (actually part of Marienbad).

And an honorable mention: Cityview. Not great food but it's cheap and a great atmosphere, wonderful people, wonderful view. Plust I've been going there since I moved to London when I was small and I seriously miss it. Last time I was in town I noticed a "for lease" sign in the window .

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 2:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Massey's: best Indian food ever.

Yessir!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Garlic's: see above.

Other restaurants I have yet to try but have heard great things about: The Only on King, MINT, Copperfields, Marienbad.

I've been to Garlic's once over seven years ago, it's very upscale but very well worth the cost. Excellent flavours.

I've also been to Marienbad once, and it was most excellent. And I must agree on Chaucer's Bar, as they have a huge variety of beers from around the world that you can't find anywhere else in London. As far as I know, only The Spoke at Western even comes close in international beers. I don't know about Chaucer's, but The Spoke (open to the public, not just students) offers a world beer passport you can get stamped each time you try a beer from a new country.

I've been to Michael's on the Thames once, over a decade ago. As I can remember, it was quite high quality, but I was much younger and wouldn't have had the same appreciation for fine dining back then as I do now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Speaking of bars and restaurants, here is the latest from the star of Friday Nite Lights:

Quote:
Mayor's husband facing $11M suit

Tue, July 14, 2009
The London Free Press

By KATE DUBINSKI

Tim Best. (MIKE HENSEN Sun Media)

The London mayor's husband is being sued for $11 million by a woman who says his SUV slammed into her car on Highway 401 without stopping, leaving her with "serious and permanent injuries."

Timothy Best also faces criminal charges in the Jan. 31 incident, including impaired driving, after an SUV was reported striking two vehicles east of London.

Reached yesterday at the London bar he owns, Best said the incident is before the courts and he couldn't comment about the allegations.

"A lot of this is about who I am and not about what happened that day," he said of the suit.

The negligence lawsuit seeks damages totalling $11,350,000 for Lisa Dixon of London and for other family members also named as plaintiffs -- her husband, children and stepchildren. Dixon was the only family member in the car at the time.

The lawsuit contends other family members have been adversely affected.

The statement of claim, filed June 26 in court in London, contains allegations not proven in court.

No statement of defence has been filed yet.

"This has interfered in her life. She's shaken up and under doctor's care," Owen Smith, Dixon's lawyer, said yesterday from New Liskeard.

"She has been involved in a similar incident in the past, where she was in a crash and has previous injuries that were aggravated by this incident."

Best was charged Jan. 31 after Middlesex OPP were called to the 401 and Putnam Road, where an SUV had struck a car.

The car's driver, Dixon, was injured and taken to hospital.

Police reports from the crash said the SUV kept going afterward and was seen taking the Dorchester Road exit. Some drivers followed it toward Dorchester and saw it hit another car.

The SUV pulled into a residential driveway and a man ran from it. Police tracked the man through the snow and arrested him.

According to the statement of claim, Dixon was driving west on the 401 when "suddenly and without warning the defendant motor vehicle swerved and violently struck the back driver's side of the plaintiff motor vehicle and subsequently fled the scene of the accident.

"This collision resulted in serious and permanent injuries."

Dixon's neck, throat, shoulder, arm and back were injured, the statement claims.

"In addition (she) suffers from headaches, anxiety, fatigue and sleeplessness."

Dixon's life enjoyment has been "irretrievably lessened," the suit contends.

A passenger in Dixon's car was not hurt and decided not to sue, Smith said. Best is being represented by Claude Pensa for the lawsuit. He has a different lawyer for the criminal case.

Best's next criminal court appearance is July 21.

He is charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm, driving with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, failing to stop at an accident causing bodily harm, failing to stop at an accident and dangerous driving and causing bodily harm while driving with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.

---

Damages sought:

Lisa Dixon: $10.75M

Husband: $200,000

Two sons: $200,000

Two stepdaughters: $200,000
http://www.lfpress.ca/newsstand/News...22826-sun.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:51 PM

Holy SH*T Thats a lot of money. she probably won't win though Anyways give em hell lady

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Perhaps Timmy could further extend the Patio at FNL to cover all of Richmond street, so as to get additional revenue?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 2:55 AM

I had to walk by that damn patio today...on my way to Moxie's, which I tried for the first time. Now that is a great place to eat and drink.

I actually have been to Friday Knight Lights once, on a night this past March that both Tim and Her Worship were working. Felt kind of funny to be served a beer by him. Had a little food there, it was okay.

Actually, I walked really far today. I walked from Wonderland and Beaverbrook all the way to King's College, through Western. It proves it is faster to walk long distances in this city than to take London Transit - I walked along the 10 Wonderland route all the way to Western and didn't see that bus until I was on campus!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 2:09 PM

London - St Thomas area has been named the tenth healthiest home market in canada with the average price up 2.2% frome june last year.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
London - St Thomas area has been named the tenth healthiest home market in canada with the average price up 2.2% frome june last year.
That's some good news!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:58 AM
Londoner

London museum gets money

London’s military museum is hoping to get a Christmas gift Tuesday that’s been more than a year in coming.

The federal government is expected to announce a donation that will put the Royal Canadian Regiment museum’s building campaign over the $2.3 million mark.

“It’s going to be a significant amount,” London West Conservative MP Ed Holder said yesterday. “It will be exciting. It will be more good news for London.”

John Baird, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, is expected at the announcement.

Holder declined to reveal any more details, but a news release from the museum said an announcement this morning will put the campaign over the target.

In 2008, as part of the regiment’s 125th anniversary celebrations, the museum at Wolseley Barracks launched a campaign to expand space by half, to 10,000 square feet.

The museum’s exhibits cover the regiment’s history since 1883 and almost every major conflict in Canadian history.

Despite the rich history of the regiment, the museum’s attendance

The extra space would allow the museum to display more artifacts and information about recent regimental history from the FLQ crisis to the Afghanistan war.

It might also help the museum get a higher profile in the city, and the regiment a higher profile in Canada.

Attendance at the museum has peaked at about 8,000 visitors a year.

The regiment does not get the credit it deserves in Canada, supporters say.

"(The RCR's) regimental museum is the very best I have seen anywhere in this country," said military historian Jack Granatstein wrote after a visit in 2000.

"The quality of the exhibits, the wealth of material, the sense of proud history conveyed was remarkable,” said Granatstein, a widely regarded military historian who ran the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation