HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 2:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
It will make a great location for a new arena in about 25 years.

Until then, give it to True North and let them figure out what to do with it between now and turning it into the new Jets arena.
specialy since the towers behind it will prolly become structuraly unstable err wait they allready are from everything i keep hereing about web place towers....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 9:03 PM

The more i think about it, the more I like the idea of it eventually being the site of a new arena. And the current MTSC can be redeveloped. We're probably talking 25-30 years though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 9:08 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
The more i think about it, the more I like the idea of it eventually being the site of a new arena. And the current MTSC can be redeveloped. We're probably talking 25-30 years though.
More like 25-300 years, likely toward the upper end of that range.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:01 PM
I am a typical

Will the MTS Centre last another 290 years?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 1:26 AM

Quote:
The problem with that thinking is that it would likely need to include the block behind the mall up to Webb Pl.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 4:08 AM

Quote:
It will make a great location for a new arena in about 25 years.

Until then, give it to True North and let them figure out what to do with it between now and turning it into the new Jets arena.
The mall doesn't revert to the city until 2062.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 6:57 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The mall doesn't revert to the city until 2062.
49 more years?!?! Oh god.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Portage Place is struggling because retail is struggling. Not because it can't develop the pad sites, or control the parking, or own the land outright. Those are all issues but if retail were strong none of these factors would be mentioned. If the owners (vancouver based) owned the parking, the pad sites, and the land do you think anything would be different? They would be paying a bank for the mortgage instead of FNP for the land, the pad sites would still be undeveloped, and their cash flow might be improved somewhat through parking revenues. The mall would be exactly the same.
Portage Place is a fricken joke. Its not managed with any care what so ever. Perhaps this is because the owners are enjoying their lives in Vancouver. If that mall was run by someone with vision and who thinks outside the box, Portage Place couldve been a tiny version of Torontos Eaton Centre. Seeing that its right next to the SHED where million are expected to visit annually. No, instead they're leasing out empty spaces to offices that close up shop at 17:00 leaving the mall empty and dark. Perhaps changing Portage Place to a mall that no other mall has would attract Winnipegers and visitors all year round. Secure big name retail that no other mall has by offering municipal incentives.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:53 PM

Stefano Grande basically said on the news last week that downtown will never focus on retail again and that it is best served in the suburbs which is true. What in my opinion portage place should become is this: the lower level should be focused on students ie: the staples, bookstores anb trendy cafes. This will help get rid of the teenage phony thugs who do daily drug dealing around the mall and the air canada park. The second level should be focused on leasing to office space for businesses, law firms, doctor ofices ect... the third level should be a centre for performing arts excellence with the prarie theatre the imax can be used for the uofw and i am sure other uses aswell can brought on board for the rest of the third level.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Stefano Grande basically said on the news last week that downtown will never focus on retail again and that it is best served in the suburbs which is true. What in my opinion portage place should become is this: the lower level should be focused on students ie: the staples, bookstores anb trendy cafes. This will help get rid of the teenage phony thugs who do daily drug dealing around the mall and the air canada park. The second level should be focused on leasing to office space for businesses, law firms, doctor ofices ect... the third level should be a centre for performing arts excellence with the prarie theatre the imax can be used for the uofw and i am sure other uses aswell can brought on board for the rest of the third level.
I do not agree with Stefano Grande. If downtown wants to revitalize with new residents and visitors who will be staying in surrounding hotels, downtown needs retail as an amenity for residents and an attraction for visitors. You cant expect people to trek out to the suburbs by bus or cab.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:12 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
I do not agree with Stefano Grande. If downtown wants to revitalize with new residents and visitors who will be staying in surrounding hotels, downtown needs retail as an amenity for residents and an attraction for visitors. You cant expect people to trek out to the suburbs by bus or cab.
Every area needs a group of pioneers to settle before retail and other amenities will move in. Once there are enough residents, then retail will follow.

Some claim that it is a chicken and egg scenario. However in this case, people can reside downtown for an indefinite amount of time without walkable amenities while businesses will generally fail without residents in the vicinity.

At the end of the day, residents need to come first. Then retail will grow on its own organically. You can't force retail businesses into an area. This is ultimately why Portage Place failed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Every area needs a group of pioneers to settle before retail and other amenities will move in. Once there are enough residents, then retail will follow.

Some claim that it is a chicken and egg scenario. However in this case, people can reside downtown for an indefinite amount of time without walkable amenities while businesses will generally fail without residents in the vicinity.

At the end of the day, residents need to come first. Then retail will grow on its own organically. You can't force retail businesses into an area. This is ultimately why Portage Place failed.
I see your point. Lets hope this happens within the next 5years when some of these proposed residential towers are built, hotels built, and the convention centre expansion completed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 11:47 PM

How many years were people living in linden woods and whyte ridge before any retail was available. A decade at least. It will take time for retail to follow.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 11:49 PM

Did this thread drop posts today?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 6:21 PM
North End Troublemaker

Has anyone seen this -- restoration of the second and third floor of a downtown mall into micro-residences?

http://m.mnn.com/your-home/remodelin...n-as-mixed-use

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 6:46 PM

Service Canada offices are now open in Portage Place.

Also extensive renovations being down in the West wing where Carlton Cards used to operate and its neighbour. Its all boarded up now. I can only assume its for anotehr offfice conversion.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Service Canada offices are now open in Portage Place.

Also extensive renovations being down in the West wing where Carlton Cards used to operate and its neighbour. Its all boarded up now. I can only assume its for anotehr offfice conversion.
By all appearances, Portage Place is undergoing the same sort of transition that Cityplace's retail areas went through about 10 or 15 years ago - from a full service shopping centre to an office building/local service centre with a food court and some shops for nearby residents and workers.

That along with the demise of Zellers means that it's probably now just a matter of months before the closure of The Bay is announced. That is, unless HBC strikes some kind of redevelopment deal with the province that results in a truncated Bay store being left open on the main and second floors. I'm a bit of a starry eyed optimist when it comes to downtown, but the state of downtown retail (with the Exchange District barely rating as a possible exception) is completely grim right now.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 2:59 AM

My thought of Portage Place as an excellent location for a new arena still works even though the mall does not revert back to city for 49 years. The mall has been sold so cheaply that would not be difficult for the city or TN to secure ownership.

And MTSC is probably good for another 25 years. Taking into considering for planning and development, a new arena will be in discussion within 15 years I'd assume.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
My thought of Portage Place as an excellent location for a new arena still works even though the mall does not revert back to city for 49 years. The mall has been sold so cheaply that would not be difficult for the city or TN to secure ownership.

And MTSC is probably good for another 25 years. Taking into considering for planning and development, a new arena will be in discussion within 15 years I'd assume.
I'm not sure that the site is large enough for an arena... definitely not anything any bigger than MTSC.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I'm not sure that the site is large enough for an arena... definitely not anything any bigger than MTSC.
the apartment buildings behind it have structural problems

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan