HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:28 PM
BANNED

I do believe on February 21st, the developer isn't just presenting the Skye proposal to council -- but is also requesting an extension for the approved Twisted Sisters in the event Skye is downright refused.

As Halifax Hillbilly has mentioned, the developer's effort toward the Skye proposal seems oddly cheap and effortless. Many believe it's simply a fake project.

The developer may have just been testing the waters for Haligonian height demands by the public. Whatever the case -- the Twisted Sisters were approved and the city wants those sites filled.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:09 PM

I wonder if this is going to council for a case initiation? If it requires a DA, there must always be a report to council requesting permission to begin the DA process?

If that's the case - the developer doesn't get a chance to speak, so I can't see how he would even be able to plead his case?

Unless it is actually a full out case that was never put on their website and had a PIM already? If so, I don't recall hearing about it?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:50 PM

Btw, if you want a really twisted tower - have a look at this.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Btw, if you want a really twisted tower - have a look at this.
Nice! This architectural trend is definitely eye-catching. The more twisting features I see on proposals, the more I have the impression of buildings taking the form of tornadoes. I love it!

As for the United Gulf Twisted Sisters, I'm somewhat on the fence in my opinion of their aesthetic impact. I believe a twisted architectural form is more appreciable within a skyline not as short as Halifax's. The neighbouring building is The Maritime Centre, which my eyes see as an appropriate podium of a much taller tower in a city with an ample amount of vertical infrastructure. The Twisted Sisters I like due to their physical resemblance of The Maritime Centre, but because of this assertion I find the twister tower along Sackville Street a bit awkward.

On the other hand, this development's great contribution to the downtown's density would be undeniable. Clusters of box-like towers reminds me of Ottawa's density.

Last edited by RyeJay; Feb 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:47 PM
Salty Town

Perhaps a building could be built on the Tex-Park site like one in this link so the STV could really get their knickers in a twist.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/galler...4436258?page=1

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:08 PM

Looks like my guess was correct - the report going to council is to initiate a development agreement, it's not a public hearing.

Developer poised to take tower project to Halifax council

$350m project has two 48-storey structures

After more than a year in the planning stages, the proposed $350-million Skye Halifax project appears ready to go before regional council.

United Gulf Developments Ltd. posted a Twitter message on Thursday stating that its proposal will be discussed at the next council meeting on Tuesday.

What’s going to happen on Tuesday night is the initiation of the discussion, to initiate the process leading to a public information meeting, and to get the ball rolling on the required amendments that we need to have done in order to accommodate the development,” said Patrick LeRoy, the company’s vice-president of operations.

“I would have preferred that it would happen earlier, but I know that staff is extremely busy and there’s a lot of activity in (the municipality) in terms of development.”

The council agenda will be made public today, city spokeswoman Shaune MacKinlay said.

The proposed 48-storey towers at the corner of Hollis and Sackville streets, bent to look like twin sails catching the wind, will be connected via a 13,000-square-foot lobby that will have high ceilings and two large, glass-like balls seemingly suspended in the air.

An application was submitted to Halifax Regional Municipality’s planning department on July 20.

In the lead up to Tuesday’s potential council discussion, the company has set up a website with details and a page where people can indicate their support. At least 450 people have so far left their name.

The rest of the story is here

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:10 PM

Here is the initiation report. I'm not surprised at the recommendation.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:19 PM
BANNED

I hope council's response is: Either commit to the previously approved 27-storey Twister Sister towers -- or -- enjoy your new, shorter HRM by Design height limits.

This developer has been twisting the city's arm for far too long.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:50 PM

That Richard Butts initial "blob" is a sight to behold.

So we will have an empty lot in the center of downtown for another 10 years, while someone who wants to spend $100 million is turned down. That's Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:15 PM

Frankly, I struggle with this one. I personally believe in compromise - that parts of downtown shouldn't be subject to any rampart rules if outside of a viewplane. But until the rule is struck, I'm willing to live with it.

But this just seems to off the wall. Considering the reputation of this developer, I'd rather turn down the project and just give them an extension on twisted sisters than see Keith's scenario play out.

I'm really unsure on this. I'm going to sit back and watch this play out, should be interesting. The even more interesting thing is that the initiation report has no public input or debate - the only people who council can address is staff. Although they might be able to ask the developer up - but I don't recall a time they did. Plus there is no appeal of this decision, so if they don't initiate the process - that's it. Unlike Lake Banook where failing to give 1st reading to schedule a public hearing does provide an appeal.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That Richard Butts initial "blob" is a sight to behold.

So we will have an empty lot in the center of downtown for another 10 years, while someone who wants to spend $100 million is turned down. That's Halifax.
$350m project.

Source

The horror! Oh no it's the invasion of the tall buildings. Quick someone fire the cannon.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:44 AM

This joke (please please tell me it's a joke) proposal is wasting tax dollars paying for staff to write a proposal on it?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Why is this being labeled a half-hearted or fake looking proposal? The developer has produced a basic website and has submitted the required plans to the city for consideration. Was the proposal for the Trillium or King's Wharf more developed at this stage?

The ramparts bylaw is silly and I have yet to hear a good reason why there should not be 48 storey buildings in Halifax, or why they are that different from 30 storey buildings already approved or built.

I am not holding my breath on this one but I think that the whole sad United Gulf situation highlights some of the worst aspects of Halifax -- the knee-jerk conservatism, the lack of ambition, the closed-minded, irrational groupthink, and the overall incompetence that seems to turn every significant undertaking into a pathetic multi-year struggle. Halifax would be a much better city if it didn't have these problems.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:40 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Why is this being labeled a half-hearted or fake looking proposal? The developer has produced a basic website and has submitted the required plans to the city for consideration. Was the proposal for the Trillium or King's Wharf more developed at this stage?

The ramparts bylaw is silly and I have yet to hear a good reason why there should not be 48 storey buildings in Halifax, or why they are that different from 30 storey buildings already approved or built.

I am not holding my breath on this one but I think that the whole sad United Gulf situation highlights some of the worst aspects of Halifax -- the knee-jerk conservatism, the lack of ambition, the closed-minded, irrational groupthink, and the overall incompetence that seems to turn every significant undertaking into a pathetic multi-year struggle. Halifax would be a much better city if it didn't have these problems.
Agree with everything you're saying here. Halifax needs to decide if it wants to move forward or continue to see its brightest get frustrated and leave for Toronto, Vancouver, etc.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree with everything you're saying here. Halifax needs to decide if it wants to move forward or continue to see its brightest get frustrated and leave for Toronto, Vancouver, etc.
I agree too. Do we want to be just a tourist attraction for senior citizens or an exciting place for young people to live in and bring up a family?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:12 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I agree too. Do we want to be just a tourist attraction for senior citizens or an exciting place for young people to live in and bring up a family?
Tall buildings =/= young people staying.

If we want young people to stay here, we need to do more than build tall buildings. Actually, I would argue that that shouldn't even be our focus. We need more people living downtown. We need to invest in job sectors that are growing and attracting young workers (ie. Film/TV, New Media, etc.) and we need to give our transit system a massive overhaul. If we get a few tall buildings while doing that, great. But just allowing developers to build massive structures won't do anything for our desirability as a place to live and work.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post

If we want young people to stay here, we need to do more than build tall buildings. Actually, I would argue that that shouldn't even be our focus. We need more people living downtown. We need to invest in job sectors that are growing and attracting young workers (ie. Film/TV, New Media, etc.) and we need to give our transit system a massive overhaul. If we get a few tall buildings while doing that, great. But just allowing developers to build massive structures won't do anything for our desirability as a place to live and work.
You clearly fail to see the many contradictions inherent in what you just wrote.

I recommend this article from The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...e-city/8387/1/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:55 PM
You talkin' to me?

Yeah, I don't see how you get a higher density of younger people and a vibrant downtown without tall buildings. The more tall buildings you have, the more residents and tenants you get, and therefor the more business/nightlife/things to do you get. The way I see it is for every floor that gets lopped off a building on the penninsula, thats probably about 10 more homes/units that will end up in the burbs.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post

Tall residential buildings = more people living downtown.

I don't think I've ever heard a good compelling reason why we shouldn't have tall buildings in general. We are all members of a skyscraper forum. Maybe those who don't like tall buildings should find the low-rise forum.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:25 PM
we built this city

The sad reality is... we aren't even talking about "tall buildings" here... sure Skye and Twisted Sisters would be in the tall category, but there is also constant opposition against mid-rise developments, less than 20 stories. The YMCA project is a prime example.

Skye is a bit over the top for me, but the twisted sisters would have been built and we wouldn't even be talking about this if there weren't all of these groups acting independently, but somewhat in concert, in the downtown and peninsular Halifax. If its not heritage, its the b/s kids and community argument, or even condo owners in nearby "tall" buildings who don't want to lose "their view".

If the 19 story building on Robie isn't approved, we've got a serious problem in this city because if they don't allow density there... where is it going to go? I see major sprawl on the horizon for the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth