HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 1:19 AM

Question

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what everyone loves about this building. Isn't it basically a box with wavy balconies? I mean, the waves are cool, but I would like them better if they were actually in the glass, and not just the balconies. Then the tower would have a more different shape from far away.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 1:42 AM

Part of the charm of this building is that from far away the building becomes a 'glass box' back-ground building (I don't mean any offense to the archict by this) and the best views of it are reserved for people who live in it....looking up and down at it. It's a fresh take on the condo tower in that respect.

While I have some design concerns over the project (which I have posted several pages back), overall I think it is a good project....and depending on well they (Studio Gang AND Loewenberg) execute the project in the field, it has the potential to be a truely great project.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Ultimately it will probably have 3 connections: One west to the Fairmont, one south to Aqua II when built, and one north to 303. My guess is that anything beyond that will not win many points with the city, will not be cost effective, and would be a security concern for this tall residential building.

People also should note exactly where Swissotel is. Use a satellite photo, do not use LSE's map. LSE's map has some random unexplained gray rectangle, which does not exist, south of Swissotel's triangular shape. In contrast, a satellite photo will reveal that the Aqua site does not border Swissotel whatsoever. Therefore any connection to Swissotel would be via 303 or else far in the future when that random unexplained gray rectangle is built out.
The unexplained grey rectangle may be the one of the planned components of the Aqua Project. There are 6 parcels: Retail, Hotel, Apartment, Condo, Ballroom and Aqua Parkhomes. The Ballroom will be approx. 45,557 sf and is a separate parcel from the hotel. Although I have no further info, it's my guess that the grey rectangle is the separate ballroom. I am also guessing that the 9 Aqua Parkhomes will border the park between Aqua and the Tides.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 9:38 AM

^ No, I think the LSE developers control only the colored (yellow, green, blue, etc.) parts of the LSE diagram. In other words, my guess is that anything that's gray is outside of their control. So the unexplained random gray rectangle is probably owned by the 3IC / Swissotel owners or someone who bought from them long ago, and is thus not part of LSE. If it were a part of Aqua they'd be emphasizing it in the diagram.
At least that's what I view as the most likely interpretation of the info we have. Now if the Swissotel owners want something low-rise built immediately south of their hotel to avoid blocking all southern views, then they may well play along and build some ballroom/pedway/podium thing. But I don't think it's part of any current plan yet.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 10:13 AM
BANNED

this if my frist peak at this board and I gotta say this is my favorite building design out of anything else proposed in the world right now, it's harmonizing to mother nature, which is what architecture should be.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:05 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Some people were talking a while back and I heard some rumors of a possible super tall and accompanying 800ish or two in those sites along wacker/the river, to take advantage of the garunteed views the river corridor creates. Granted that is just rumors, but I would be suprised if Aqua ends up being the tallest building in LSE. Another thing I read a while ago is that the "aqua 2" tower, or that one between Aqua and BCBS will be taller than Aqua, I believe I heard near 900 feet. Again, that's not a solid fact, but I think that has more credibility than the supertall along the river does.

I bet they will build a supertall along the river if CS turns out to be a reality. I mean think of how the land values of a Building directly across the river from CS would be, despite its massiveness, the open areas surrounding CS will garuntee alot of views to anything directly across the river from it. I hope a supertall does end up there since it would really help meld the existing Aon peak with CS, while Mandrin would help draw Trump and Waterview into the Aon peak as well. I think Chicago may end up sustaining the three peaked skyline thing, except the middle peak will be twice the size of the sides. That would help preserve or cherished Skyline symmetry and balance.

Thanks for the info. It would be nice if Aon had some help balancing out the skyline. Trump helps somewhat because its more in thie "middle" of the river from the lake, but Aon and Waterview wouldn't be able to fight off CS, and Sears is too far away to have a significant impact on the short term.

I've always seen symmetry among the supertalls, but the skyline hasn't been symmetrical. Development around JHC is nowhere near what it is around Sears/south of the river...and with the development in the South Loop (One Museum Park, possibly Park Michigan), the skyline is adding a new wing beyond Sears. I certainly feel Chicago should keep its peaks,I love the dynamics in the skyline, but I don't feel 3 should be a permenant number. Unfortunately for me, all the development in LSE would countrubite to the Aon/hopefully renamed "CS peak"

It would be phenomenal if the a LSE supertall was built on the river. I'm envisioning sort of a Pillars of Hercules type arrangement at the mouth of the Chicago River. Something to counterweight CS architecturally could be interesting.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
It would be phenomenal if the a LSE supertall was built on the river. I'm envisioning sort of a Pillars of Hercules type arrangement at the mouth of the Chicago River. Something to counterweight CS architecturally could be interesting.
^^^ Another supertall in LSE would provide a strong focal point at the river mouth (something that 30 years ago I argued was needed, although I admit, my idea wasn't in the form of 2000' foot pillars!). Historically the convergance of the river and lake is the traditional early 19th century entrance to Chicago and diserves careful and focused attention. If Aqua, CS and others happen, the river tour will move from fantastic to incredible on the scale of impressiveness!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 7:24 PM

Three photos of the site as of this morning:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 7:50 PM

Looks like this thread is going to be closed/moved soon!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 9:18 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

ance:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:37 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey36 View Post
Three photos of the site as of this morning:

Thanks for the update (and photos)..

Great to see this one getting underway.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 10:35 PM

From Sunday's Trib per Blair Kamin:

The Architecture Foundation's lunchtime lecture series will also feature presentations on adventurous new buildings in Chicago. Jan. 24, architect Jeanne Gang, discusses her firm's plans for the 82-story Aqua Tower and its undulating concrete balconies

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber925 View Post
From Sunday's Trib per Blair Kamin:

The Architecture Foundation's lunchtime lecture series will also feature presentations on adventurous new buildings in Chicago. Jan. 24, architect Jeanne Gang, discusses her firm's plans for the 82-story Aqua Tower and its undulating concrete balconies
Who is allowed to go to this?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Who is allowed to go to this?
Anyone, it's open to the public, all of the CAF lunchtime lectures are. As are the Friends of Downtown ones that are held the first Thursday of every month.

SSDD

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:01 AM

Here's the link for the Wednesday Lunchtime lectures.
http://www.architecture.org/programs.html

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Nobody working today?

I walked by today around 2:30 and there wasn't a soul on the site...anybody know what exactly they're waiting for? (I know there are issues with tunnels that are being dealt with, but anything else?)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 4:20 PM

It appears to me that they're working in the tunnels. . .

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 10:04 PM

"curious"

Im curious as to how this building with 83 stories is only 815 ft. This means that the "Park Tower" with 67 floors, 16 less than Aqua is still 29 feet taller at 844'. Weird. This also means that each of the floors in Aqua are less than 8' a peice? any thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM

yea...i kinda never got that either..must be the shortest 83 story building ever.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 10:21 PM

There's a height restriction at that particular location...

No residents can be over 5'6" tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive