HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
btw I may have forgotten to mention that 750 St Charles Avenue is being renovated by Aunt Sallies Pralines. It will become a retail store for them and a manufacturing facility! Also, On Carondelet a new retail space just opened in front part of a garage called Buff( a beauty bar).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&su...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAA

Allso the gas station at lee circle that has been vacant finally sold. A non profit is going to be building there. And le chat noir sold and will become a new restaurant!

Also the city is seeking bids for trashcans that are solar operated:

Background: The City of New Orleans, in conjunction with the Regional Transit Authority and
other partners, seeks to implement the use of 392 solar powered compaction litter and recycling
collection units in their areas of high pedestrian traffic, the French Quarter, the Downtown
Development District (242) and major transit stops (1 50).
We believe that it is time to provide an alternative, improved process related to public litter can
maintenance and public recycling. The initiation of this program will result in significant costsavings
for the City of New Orleans that can be re-invested in ongoing projects that benefit our
community. It will be a vital contribution to building a sustainable and thriving New Orleans.
CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
INVITATION TO BID
We have over 1,000 public litter cans in the City of New Orleans and 772 of these litter cans are in
the French Quarter (385) and the DDD (387). Due to the number of special events in the City and
the volume of locals and tourists that attend these events, it is an increasing challenge to
constantly empty litter cans multiple times during a seven day period.
It's just amazing that things like this are actually happening in this city...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:55 PM

Carver Theater to Reopen

Sounds positive and I hope it comes to fruition, but I also hope their business plan pans out. Is there enough entertainment to fill these new theaters coming online? Seems like all those Broadway plays at Mahalia will move to the larger Saenger, once completed.

http://www.nola.com...carver_theater_renovation_to_b.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post

Sounds positive and I hope it comes to fruition, but I also hope their business plan pans out. Is there enough entertainment to fill these new theaters coming online? Seems like all those Broadway plays at Mahalia will move to the larger Saenger, once completed.

http://www.nola.com...carver_theater_renovation_to_b.html
I'm inclined to agree and think some of these theatres would be better brought back as movie theatres. Not sure where I saw it but I remember hearing awhile back that New Orleans is one of the most "under screened" cities in the nation in terms of movie theatres relative to our population. Unless I'm missing something there are only two theatres in all of New Orleans/Orleans Parish, Canal Place and The Prytania. Personally I would love to see some of these places like The Carver restored as 2-3 auditorium theatres. While Canal Place is nice it is adult only, leaving The Prytania as the only "family" theatre in the city.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:05 AM
TL;DR

It's very difficult to make small-scale theaters work without a specialty audience, usually either an indie/art film crowd or an immigrant/Bollywood/Chinese crowd. Neither of those in Treme.

If you want a family-oriented theater, better hope for an AMC to open up somewhere. Tulane Corridor, or maybe the Power Plant area. Or maybe near the Iberville on Canal.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:06 AM
-

There are a couple of things that affect this decisions. Tax credits being the big one. Live entertainment qualifies for tax credits where showing movies does not. Its less risky to renovate these facilities for live entertainment. Nonetheless, it is insane that their isnt one megaplex in all of New Orleans. Im sure that New Orleans East will be first to see a return but I do believe a megaplex somewhere on Claiborne or in the Champions Square area could do well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:23 AM

The Joy just recently reopened and has what, two shows a month? This renovation will cost even more, and then you have the Civic and Saenger underway. It would be great if all this could create a critical mass as a performing arts district, but the demand, as of right now, doesn't seem to be there.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:08 AM

What's going to happen with the Joy? It does sound worrisome if they aren't seeing anticipated revenue.

It would be nice if it were a movie house 1-2 nights a week (when I lived in Athens, GA the Georgia Theatre which was an old movie house, turned cinema drafthouse on Monday evenings and hosted local music the rest of the week).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:35 AM
-

I dont know what the Joys deal is. If they booked more appealing things Id go! Maybe when the streetcar wraps up completely they will do more.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:52 PM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

Glad we have a mayor that A.) doesn't talk about vaginas, B.) actually gets things done:

Quote:
City completed 25 capital projects in 2012 and will start 47 more in 2013, Mayor Landrieu says

The city completed 25 capital projects worth $60 million in 2012 and began work on another 27 projects with a total value of $87 million, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu's office said Wednesday. This year, the city is scheduled to begin construction on 47 projects with a total budget of $186 million, it said....

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
There are a couple of things that affect this decisions. Tax credits being the big one. Live entertainment qualifies for tax credits where showing movies does not. Its less risky to renovate these facilities for live entertainment. Nonetheless, it is insane that their isnt one megaplex in all of New Orleans. Im sure that New Orleans East will be first to see a return but I do believe a megaplex somewhere on Claiborne or in the Champions Square area could do well.
Actually I think that the smaller theatre concept would work quite well in a few areas like the Bywater or even Lakeview/Gentilly, I'm just not sure what if any old theatres are in those areas that are in need of restoration. Additionally, anybody know what is going on with The Orpheam? For all of all these places that have been restored/refurbished the fact that it has not probably baffles me the most. Pre-K one of the favorite evenings for the wife and I was dinner in the quarter, taking in the LPO at the Orpheam, and drinks at the Roosevelt Bar. I have not been to the LPO since, but I'm no fan of The Mahalia Jackson. Part of me hopes that once the Saenger is up they make it their home venue.
So far as megaplexes are concerned I could see one in any of the places mentioned, one in Algiers would not be a bad idea as there is only one Theatre on the Westbank between both Orleans and Jefferson Parishes.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
Actually I think that the smaller theatre concept would work quite well in a few areas like the Bywater or even Lakeview/Gentilly, I'm just not sure what if any old theatres are in those areas that are in need of restoration. Additionally, anybody know what is going on with The Orpheam? For all of all these places that have been restored/refurbished the fact that it has not probably baffles me the most. Pre-K one of the favorite evenings for the wife and I was dinner in the quarter, taking in the LPO at the Orpheam, and drinks at the Roosevelt Bar. I have not been to the LPO since, but I'm no fan of The Mahalia Jackson. Part of me hopes that once the Saenger is up they make it their home venue.
So far as megaplexes are concerned I could see one in any of the places mentioned, one in Algiers would not be a bad idea as there is only one Theatre on the Westbank between both Orleans and Jefferson Parishes.
Sadly I have never been to the Orpheum but the rumor I hear most often is that the Roosevelt Hotel is trying to purchase it to expand event space for meetings but also have it for other performance events. It actually sounds to me like that would be a sound business plan.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:31 AM
-

Some other news:

Fleurty Girl is opening a new shop on St Charles Avenue.

Root is opening up a new third restaurant on Canal called Root Canal. (lol)

The costco has certainly shifted into high gear!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:28 AM
-

CONSIDERATION – ZONING DOCKET 2/13 – Request by BENA CAPITOL LLC for a Conditional Use to permit a cocktail lounge with live entertainment in an HMC-2 Historic Marigny/Treme Commercial District, on Square 5, Lot 22, in the Third Municipal District, bounded by Esplanade Avenue, Chartres, Frenchmen and Decatur Streets. The municipal address is 516 FRENCHMEN STREET. (ZBM D-14/PD 7) (SK/DG/GM)

Guitar Center / Harahan

Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Private Monday, January 7, 2013 Monday, January 28, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$1,200,000.00 21500
Address
1000 Clearview Pkwy.
Harahan, LA 70123
Jefferson County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Tenant improvements for a retail development in Harahan. Completed working drawings call for the construction of a 21,500-square-foot retail store.

The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the GC Bidder(s) on January 7, 2013.*

New Orleans African American Museum, Restorations and Additions

Project Type Building Use Status
Addition
Renovation
Site Work Museum GC Bidding
Private Friday, January 18, 2013 Monday, February 25, 2013
$700,000.00 10430
Address
1418 Governor Nicholls St.
New Orleans, LA 70116
Orleans County
Description Renovation of and addition to a museum in New Orleans. Completed plans call for the renovation and addition to historic structures, as well as modification to non-historic existing structures.

The owner has determined a list of general contractors to bid on this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the GC bidder(s) by 3:00 p.m. January 18, 2013

Red Lobster / Metairie

Private Wednesday, January 30, 2013 Wednesday, February 27, 2013
$300,000.00 5000
Address
To Be Announced
Metairie, LA 70003
Jefferson County
Description Remodel of a national chain restaurant in Metairie. Completed working plans call for the exterior and interior remodel of an approximately 5000-square-foot sit-down restaurant. The scope of work will include dining, kitchen, storage and restroom areas.

The owner has determined a select list of general contractors to bid this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the invited GC Bidder(s) by January 16, 2013.*

French Quarter Apartments

Project Details

Report a map error
Get Directions
New Construction
Site Work Multi-Residential Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, March 18, 2013
Estimated Value*
$1,500,000.00
Address
939 Iberville St.
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of an apartment complex.

Construction drawings have not yet been finished on t his project. It is unknown at this time whether or not there will be a negotiated contractor on this project or if it will be competitively bid to general contractors. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2013.

Mosaic Company Ammonia Plant

New Construction
Site Work Industrial Conceptual
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Friday, January 3, 2014
Estimated Value*
$700,000,000.00
Address
7250 Louisiana 44
Convent, LA 70723
Saint James County
N/A Region
Description Site work and new construction of an industrial development in Covent. Conceptual plans call for the construction of an ammonia production plant.

This project is in conceptual stages. Construction is expected to begin January 2014 at the earliest. An architect and general contractor have not yet been selected.

Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District Dining

Summary
Cocktail lounge
Number of restaurants :1
Hotel Restaurants
Babin’s Bar & Bistro
Serves: Breakfast , Dinner
Upscale bistro featuring local favorites. Enjoy breakfast, dinner and coffee service in our dining room or enjoy service in our al fresco dining area facing the famed St. Charles Avenue Streetcar Line.
Hotel Bars /Lounges
Babin's Bar & Bistro
Upscale lounge adjacent to dining with outdoor seating available. Enjoy a cooling concoction prepared by one of our knowledgable mixologists in a cool calm environment.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:23 PM

There's a pile driver and some test piles at 1701 Baronne which is owned by the Gulf Coast Housing Partnership

http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...ls+roads+lakes

Tennis posted this back in October 2012:

Quote:
Art Studio/TheatreITEM 12 – Docket Number: 231-12 MDO
Applicant or Agent: GCHP-PolyBar, LLC
Property Location: 1701, 1725, and 1731 Baronne Street Zip: 70113
Bounding Streets: Baronne, Polymnia, Felicty, & Euterpe Sts. & Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
Square Number: 247 Lots: 1, 2, CC-3, 17, 18, 19, 20, & B
Zoning District: C-1 General Commercial ZBM: C-14
Historic District: N/A Planning District: 2
Existing Use: Industrial/Vacant Lots
Proposed Use: Studio, Office, & Theater
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 and Article 15, Section 15.3.1 (Table 15.G) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of vacant buildings into studio, office, and theater space with insufficient off-street parking.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:25 PM
-

Alert Transportation Main Office

New Construction
Site Work Office GC Bidding
Private Friday, January 18, 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013
$1,350,000.00 13500
Address
#3 Westbank Expy
New Orleans, LA 70114
Orleans County
Description Site work and construction of car storage and office building in New Orleans. Completed plans call for the construction of a 13,500-square-foot building to provide for offices and limousine storage.

The owner has selected a list of general contractors to bid on this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the GC bidder(s) by 5:00 p.m. January 18, 2013.

Hotel Indigo Opens on St. Charles Ave.
Posted on January 2, 2013

CityBusiness reports that the Hotel Indigo at the corner of St. Charles and Jackson avenues has opened.

The former Clarion Collection Garden District Hotel had been closed since 2008, but new owners RLJ Lodging Trust undertook a $23.3 million renovation of the 132 room hotel and reopened the property this past week as the Hotel Indigo.

Indigo is a boutique hotel brand from InterContinental Hotel Group which also the brands Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 6:17 PM

Restaurants on the Move

Cafe Reconcile dining to open by SuperBowl

www.bestofneworleans.com...caf-reconcile

Dunbar's Soul Food to open in old Vazquez location; Cafe Gentilly across the street
www.bestofneworleans.com...restaurants-reemerging

Basin Seafood and Spirits to open on Magazine (sounds nice if prices are right)
nola.com...baru_bistro_owners_talk

Regarding Dunbar's and Cafe Gentilly, I'm thrilled to see vacant buildings put back into commerce, but just like the theaters, I don't know if Gentilly can support all these eateries. Munch Factory, Juju Bag, Sassafras, Big Shirley's, and Willie's Kitchen pretty much offer the same kind of food. Once Milne Boys Home is complete and Franklin Ave repaved, it should be nice.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:10 PM
TL;DR

Bikeways projects for 2013:
  • Road Diet on Gentilly Blvd. between N. Broad St. and Paris Ave. (DPW will have to revise the striping on the concrete section between I-610 and New Orleans St.)
  • Road Diet on Nashville Ave. between S. Claiborne Ave. & Fontainebleau Dr.
  • Road Diet on Esplanade Ave. from N. Claiborne Ave. to City Park
  • Bike lanes between S. Carrollton Ave. and Nashville Ave. on St. Charles Ave. are slated to start in the next couple of months
  • Bike lanes on Basin St. between approximately Canal St. and N. Villere St. (shared from N. Villere St. to Orleans Ave. to connect with existing shared lanes)
  • Bike lanes on Franklin Ave. between Gentilly Blvd. and Filmore Ave.
  • Bike lanes on Filmore Ave. between Wisner Blvd. and Marconi Dr. and between West End Blvd. and Milne Blvd.
  • Shared lanes on Filmore Ave. between Milne Blvd. and Canal Blvd.
  • Bike lanes (not shared) on St. Bernard Ave. between McShane Pl. and Sere St.

We should also see the Lafitte Corridor and Crescent/Downriver Park open up this year.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 6:58 PM
-

Great Article on Louisiana:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianal...s-opportunity/

Barcadia is opening Friday!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Stimulating pleasant reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbes.com
This year, in a 50 state analysis released by The Tax Foundation and KPMG, Louisiana was ranked the no. 2 state with the lowest state and local tax burdens on new firms and no. 10 for mature firms.
Obviously skillful policy, especially as to new/small businesses that will create the biggest part of the future added wealth. It's just so freaking obvious, I wish the French left wing currently in office could be good, smart and ballsy enough to do the same right now.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Stimulating pleasant reading.

Obviously skillful policy, especially as to new/small businesses that will create the biggest part of the future added wealth. It's just so freaking obvious, I wish the French left wing currently in office could be good, smart and ballsy enough to do the same right now.
This isn't really the place for politics. But, the flip side of this "skillful policy," which includes subsidies for industries that are here only for the tax credits (film) and a stubborn refusal to raise taxes even on "bads" like cigarettes and alcohol, has resulted in annual budget deficits that have only been closed by budget cuts to education and heathcare which are "just so freaking [not] obvious."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations