HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:31 AM

Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion

I recently found this video while searching for information on travel to Puerto Rico. Sounds very promising, as these ocean temps differences are constant, unlike wind and solar energy.http://gliving.tv/news/ocean-thermal-energy-conversion/

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 7:53 PM

This "heat engine" that they talk about is really just a variation of the Stirling engine, which was patented in 1816. They definitely work, but the cost and efficiency of the engine has always been the hold-up. Getting your heat source for free definitely helps keep the cost down, and mass-production of the parts would help even more. The efficiency of the system has a lot of factors, one of which is the internal "fluid" used for the transfer of heat. I have no idea how propane fares, but I do know that hydrogen is the most efficient. However, nobody has figured out how to keep a Stirling engine so well-sealed to prevent hydrogen from leaking!

You also have to consider the environmental effect of such a system - it runs by transferring heat from one side to the other. It is creating a small short circuit in the natural heating/cooling cycle of the ocean. The effect is probably too small to measure, but it should be looked at and considered.

Ultimately, this will all come down to money. I highly doubt anyone can come up with the money to build the system without a huge government subsidy - and currently most governments are flat broke.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 9:00 PM
Hello

Lockheed Martin recently received some funding to explore this concept.

Lockheed Martin has been awarded a cooperative agreement contract with a maximum value of US $1.2 million by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to demonstrate technologies to enable ocean thermal energy power generation.

More...
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/...=53798&src=rss

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:37 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering