HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
For a while I thought that too, but that doesn't make sense if every damn C-Train in the fleet carries the orange Shock Top livery.

Honestly though, I hate those full-body advertisements. For one, they are supremely ugly and at times jarring. For two, it is nearly impossible to enjoy any kind of view from the window during dark winter commutes when it's covered in the advertisement sticker. Might as well be in a tunnel when you ride on those trains.
I agreed, the full-body wraps don't respect transit riders by blocking the view and sun from getting in.

I would be more than happy if they refused funding from full-body wraps. Or at least stopped advertising truck advertisements. It would be like Subway
doing in-store advertising for McDonalds.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:28 AM
someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by holhm22 View Post
Actually looks pretty sleek to me, plenty better than the pictures from the plant. The green LED door frames look really cool too
looks like the opposite side has red LEDs, maybe an indicator for which door is in operations for that particular stop?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
I agreed, the full-body wraps don't respect transit riders by blocking the view and sun from getting in.

I would be more than happy if they refused funding from full-body wraps. Or at least stopped advertising truck advertisements. It would be like Subway
doing in-store advertising for McDonalds.
I see where you're trying to go, but maybe not the best example - unless Subway is a publically owned business that gets half its operating costs from our tax dollars? I'm sure Transit would love to keep people from buying cars, but they know it's not realistic, and it's a good source of income to help keep Transit service running. A necessary evil.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
looks like the opposite side has red LEDs, maybe an indicator for which door is in operations for that particular stop?
Door lights up green if door is unlocked, red if locked, and flashes red when closing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:32 AM
someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
Door lights up green if door is unlocked, red if locked, and flashes red when closing.
neat, thanks

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:34 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

Doesn't look much different on the bottom to the current vehicles?
oh lmao! I never realized that. Fully retract my previous comments then. *inserts foot into mouth*

Quote:
That is fancy stuff! Thanks for the info When should we expect the first trainset to be rolled out?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That is fancy stuff! Thanks for the info When should we expect the first trainset to be rolled out?
You're likely looking at March sometime - still just have the one car, so you're waiting for at least two more to arrive, and for all three to be commissioned. Then comes operator training.

It takes time to commission and work the bugs out of the first few cars, as there's usually a number of things that aren't quite right from the factory, and they need to be adjusted on site in Calgary. Typically after the first half dozen or so, most of the major bugs are identified and corrected before the cars leave Sacramento, so commissioning time drops from about 6 weeks to mere days by the end of the order.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 1:15 PM

Are these the ones we have been waiting for for 4 car service? Or has that already started? last I heard it was starting early December...March sounds like a big delay.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are these the ones we have been waiting for for 4 car service? Or has that already started? last I heard it was starting early December...March sounds like a big delay.
Four car service started in a limited form in November. Only one or two consists currently due to available LRV's.

The new LRV's though I do say are looking sharp, even if the livery is different than what we all thought it would be.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Do you know if there have been any improvements to how it deals with people holding the door open, delaying the train?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:28 PM

The red light is actually a laser, that severs any limbs that shouldn't be there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:19 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was a bit confused about this too. So we had enough 'extra' existing LRVs to do limited 4 car service?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Four car service started in a limited form in November. Only one or two consists currently due to available LRV's.

The new LRV's though I do say are looking sharp, even if the livery is different than what we all thought it would be.
There's more than the original 2 trains now, they're implementing more of them as I saw an older SD160 consist unlike the original 2 newer SD160s on Tuesday.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:45 PM

There are still only two 4-car trains in regular daily service on the 201 line. There was a trial run with the "older" SD160's (series 5, 6 and 7) and even a couple of 4-car U2 consists but those were used instead, rather than in addition, of the 4-car series 8's. You might see extra 4-car trains in off peak hours for special events like football games but that's only because by then, all the rush hour extras are back in the barn or it's the weekend.

There are two major issues that must be addressed before the number of 4-car trains can increase. The current lack of rolling stock is the obvious one but there might still be some issues with traction power.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:22 PM

While I'm not a big fan of the mismatch effect the shrink wrap ads are having on the train consist, they help to pay the bills and most likely are here to stay and at least on the U2's they help to cover up the rust.

It's going to be a snug fit with the series 9 4-car train as the consist will be 4 meters longer than the pictured series 8.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
It's going to be a snug fit with the series 9 4-car train as the consist will be 4 meters longer than the pictured series 8.
Since the doors on the Series 9s are moved 1 module towards the center, does this allow more tolerance if the train over or undershoots the platform?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
There are still only two 4-car trains in regular daily service on the 201 line. There was a trial run with the "older" SD160's (series 5, 6 and 7) and even a couple of 4-car U2 consists but those were used instead, rather than in addition, of the 4-car series 8's. You might see extra 4-car trains in off peak hours for special events like football games but that's only because by then, all the rush hour extras are back in the barn or it's the weekend.

There are two major issues that must be addressed before the number of 4-car trains can increase. The current lack of rolling stock is the obvious one but there might still be some issues with traction power.
What is the plan for using 4-cars? Will they put all 4-cars on the red line all the time, or just at rush hour? And if it's just rush hour, will they decouple them for a few hours?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:29 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Any possibility of retrofitting existing cars with this?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What is the plan for using 4-cars? Will they put all 4-cars on the red line all the time, or just at rush hour? And if it's just rush hour, will they decouple them for a few hours?
The number of four-car trains will continue to grow as more new LRVs arrive and enter service, until all trains are four cars in 2017. Adding and dropping cars is very labour intensive, so it's just going to be four cars all the time (at least on weekdays).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:

Ooh, so that's what's really going on. Thanks for the info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure