HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:54 PM

Winnipeg | 51 Roslyn Rd. | 15F

51 Roslyn Rd
Developer:
Architects: h5 Architecture
Contractor:
Media:
Description: 15 Storey 80 unit residential tower located in Osborne Village. Construction anticipated spring/fall 2022

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 19, 2021 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:19 AM
keep the good times going

It definitely checks the boxes! Though I would like to get a closer look at the tower facade. I love how thin the proposed tower is. It would look great from the Legislature side of the river

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
It would look great from the Legislature side of the river
It would look good from both the Roslyn side and the river/Legislature side... right now when you stand on the north bank of the river, the view directly across to the south probably hasn't changed since the 70s. It would be nice to see something fresh in that direction.

This proposal looks like it designed to a pretty high standard with what looks like a nice masonry exterior... I'm looking forward to seeing it get built.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:17 PM

Hard to tell, but the curb cut on Roslyn looks like an entrance to underground parking rather than a pass-through to the north side of the lot and surface parking abutting the river. Most of the other properties on the north side of Roslyn do have surface parking at the back (except 21 Roslyn). If there is no paved lot at the back, they have an opportunity to make a really nice riverfront space for residents (after removing the existing parking pad used by Saigon).

Lived in 21 Roslyn a long time ago and they experienced periodic flooding in the lower level (had to move the car more than once), so you have to be careful with underground so close to the river (not that it can't be done, there are lots of them along Wellington Crescent).

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:22 PM

Looks like a parking podium.

It's kind of a shame. I always loved The Saigon.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:31 PM

Makes more sense, looks like a two level podium behind the south facade.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:32 PM

The podium is indeed a Parkade.

Instagram

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:14 PM

In the Design Summary's description of the units, I imagine micro-unit == a bachelor suite, but what is a live-work unit in this context?

I know the term can apply when a small shop has an apartment upstairs, but does that apply in a tower?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:31 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Looks like a parking podium.

It's kind of a shame. I always loved The Saigon.
me too.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
In the Design Summary's description of the units, I imagine micro-unit == a bachelor suite, but what is a live-work unit in this context?

I know the term can apply when a small shop has an apartment upstairs, but does that apply in a tower?
The live work units are on the top level, they are double storey units with (larger) office space.

Instagram

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:35 PM
BANNED

0.9 stalls per unit.. also, I wonder if we'll ever see the city take back some of the riverfront land for parks/paths. the parking lot built to the river edge next door is especially bad.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:36 PM
surely you agree with me

that's quite the cantilever! I feel like there might be a couple columns in the end.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
0.9 stalls per unit.. also, I wonder if we'll ever see the city take back some of the riverfront land for parks/paths. the parking lot built to the river edge next door is especially bad.
All of the parking appears to be within the podium. The old surface parking lot is gone, covered by outdoor amenities and the footprint of the new building.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 10:11 PM

Redesign

Quote:
As a result of community feedback gathered at two virtual public open houses, the original 15-storey, 80-unit proposal for this site has been significantly refined to 6 storeys and 66 units. The building and landscape design has been developed with careful attention to the principles outlined in the Osborne Village Neighbourhood Plan, and celebrates the lively, pedestrian-oriented nature of Osborne Village.

The building will offer a variety of rental suites ranging in size from studio to two-bedroom apartments, as well as interior and exterior amenity space that includes a rooftop patio. The reshaped footprint respects neighbours’ access to views and daylight with increased side yard clearances. A 51-stall parking area will be concealed within the volume of the building and will feature ten percent designated visitor parking, as well as a Peg City Car Coop space. The building will also address its prominent river-front position by providing public green space at the rear of the site, allowing pedestrians and residents alike to enjoy the views of the Assiniboine River and Manitoba Legislature beyond.

It is our hope that this revised proposal, which employs a rich material language and emphasis towards the river’s edge, will set a positive precedent for future riverfront development.

Instagram

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 10:53 PM
surely you agree with me

Sad trombone.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 12:00 AM

Wow what a waste

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 2:44 AM

Not sure why 15 floors was a problem considering the river is lined with towers that size all over the city. Not to mention the evergreen towers are a stone's throw away.

The new design has a pretty awful facade facing the street. It very clearly looks like the side of a building, not "lively and pedestrian oriented" like it says in the article.

The positive is that there's no surface parking lot right next to the river like so many neighbouring buildings, which is something that always seemed like such a waste of a prime location and view.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 2:49 AM
surely you agree with me

I’m going to guess that this was a significant cost savings wrapped in a gesture to public consultation. They probably had a 15 storey building priced and realized that they could build only 14 fewer units for half the price by not going high rise.

Definitely a qualitative change to have riverfront property and face almost every unit towards the adjacent buildings.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 4:41 AM

Terrible revision , every balcony at 6 floors faces next building wall , no views of anything now , may as well keep Miss Saigon !! Very disappointing! No reason why river property can’t be higher , many many examples of mid rise to high rises along the river !

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 4:43 PM

This city... The revision looks cheap and is a significant step down in aesthetic design and in the way it meets the street. lol sad trombone is the perfect description.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan