HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There was a huge Baker Hotel (catty-corner to the Adolphus) in downtown Dallas that was torn down a quarter century ago. I think it was built by the same hotelier. The intersection between the Baker and the Adolphus was the scene of much revelry every Texas/OU weekend. There were frequent brawls between fans of the two schools.
Yep, stayed at the Adolphus several times in the mid 1960s during the heyday of the Texas/OU street brawls. It was an awesome party.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:27 AM

I'm posting this here just because of the previous posts about the old Baylor art wall condos. A permit was filed Thursday for the demo of the art wall:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=631311

From the filing:

Quote:
Total Demolition of concrete graffiti park

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm posting this here just because of the previous posts about the old Baylor art wall condos. A permit was filed Thursday for the demo of the art wall:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=631311

From the filing:
I'm not hearing any anxiety over this. I've seen a few shows and youtube vids showing this as a tourist attraction. Is this just one of those can take it or leave it places, or are we losing another piece of Austin that makes it cool, for the sake of progress. I know they plan on relocating it somewhere, but not convenient to people staying in the downtown area. I hope what goes in its place is worth it. I hope I have the chance to see it before its gone. I don't suppose they'll be selling off pieces of it like the Berlin Wall. And no...I'm not interested in being a buyer so don't anyone offer...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:09 AM
World Traveler

I'd be willing to bet that there will be uproar about this once more folks catch wind of it. It's definitely a landmark, but my guess it's it's not protected or anything. I wouldn't be opposed to that (protecting it) because I personally love the area - I think it reveals a lot of Austin's culture and gives a free place for folks to practice and show off their art. It's a pretty unique opportunity to do so. That said, it's often littered and can be unsafe - but so can be a lot of other places. It'll be interesting to see what happens here. I'm for saving it for the art and culture side of it - this one is unique.

I've traveled all over the world and I think the street art (not to be confused with gang-related tagging) is one of the most unique insights into especially the younger culture of artists, but also the history of struggles, world views, etc. One of my favorite examples of this is in Kuala Lumpur along the Klang River. Do a Google search of this - it's pretty fantastic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm not hearing any anxiety over this. I've seen a few shows and youtube vids showing this as a tourist attraction. Is this just one of those can take it or leave it places, or are we losing another piece of Austin that makes it cool, for the sake of progress. I know they plan on relocating it somewhere, but not convenient to people staying in the downtown area. I hope what goes in its place is worth it. I hope I have the chance to see it before its gone. I don't suppose they'll be selling off pieces of it like the Berlin Wall. And no...I'm not interested in being a buyer so don't anyone offer...
OK, I won't chip off a piece for you. IMO it was only interesting because it was organic and gritty which is rare in Austin. My out of town guests loved it. But what I didn't like is that the real works of art on the site were consistently getting defaced and covered up by no talent taggers. Constant new art work was part of the appeal, but the taggers sucked. There are renderings of the new place on here somewhere, and it looks like the new site may provide more control over artist access. But it looks more like an art gallery or private park than street art which was the main appeal of the Baylor art wall.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:57 PM

They plan to recreate the graffiti park, here's where it will end up.

Castle Hill Graffiti Park Moving to New 6-Acre Location

Quote:
As the number of visitors continues to increase, the graffiti art park has announced that they are moving to a new six-acre location on Carson Creek Ranch.

Organizers said the new gallery will offer artists more wall space to let their imaginations run wild. The new permanent home for the gallery will also have art classes for youths and adults.

The gallery will remain at the downtown location until June 2018. The Carson Creek location will break ground on construction in early 2018 and is expected to be finished by the end of 2018.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
They plan to recreate the graffiti park, here's where it will end up.

Castle Hill Graffiti Park Moving to New 6-Acre Location

Isn't the entire point of urban street art to be urban? I hope it succeeds, but it will probably just suck.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:33 PM

On one hand I agree that it is an urban gritty landmark that's part of what makes Austin "weird," but on the other hand, it is becoming such an attraction that it is clogging up the neighborhood street with cars and is impossible to see most days because there's nowhere to park. So unfortunately I think it's kinda just unsustainable as it is. I do wish that they would remain in a central location instead of moving so far outside the city.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:46 PM
Meh

I don't think people are going to drive out to some ranch to see graffiti unless they are already somehow heavily invested in it. I'll ride up on my bike just as a passing curiosity once in a while when I'm downtown, but I have no idea where "Carson Creek Ranch" is. This was something that was best discovered by accident, not to find after a search expedition. I don't know. It sounds like an art colony, which I guess is cool, but I doubt it'll be free to visit anymore, for example.

The good thing I guess is that you don't have to bring your binoculars anymore to appreciate the art or else be a quasi mountain climber to get a closer look.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't think people are going to drive out to some ranch to see graffiti unless they are already somehow heavily invested in it. I'll ride up on my bike just as a passing curiosity once in a while when I'm downtown, but I have no idea where "Carson Creek Ranch" is.
I just Googled it, its just north of ABIA. It would add to the attractions being built around the airport...COTA, Inland Surf Park, Six Flags, ok, not Six Flags.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
On one hand I agree that it is an urban gritty landmark that's part of what makes Austin "weird," but on the other hand, it is becoming such an attraction that it is clogging up the neighborhood street with cars and is impossible to see most days because there's nowhere to park. So unfortunately I think it's kinda just unsustainable as it is. I do wish that they would remain in a central location instead of moving so far outside the city.
It's also something that has existed for like six years. This is something like the South Congress food trailer park that was around for a few years. I think these get overblown because they're very important to people that moved here during a specific period despite being a blip on the history of Austin.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:51 AM
World Traveler

I hear you on the six years part...

I also agree that this is so far out of town that most folks won't go - except [some of] those in the art community. And that said, it's cool to see an investment for the arts, but it would be better to have something in the core or at least inside (west) of 183 in East Austin.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
It's also something that has existed for like six years. This is something like the South Congress food trailer park that was around for a few years. I think these get overblown because they're very important to people that moved here during a specific period despite being a blip on the history of Austin.
6 years? It's been there since I was a young kid, at least since the mid 90s.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:46 AM

I think I read it in an article somewhere, but the area would be almost impossible to preserve as is, without significant improvements that would most likely destroy the current allure and character of the site. For the city to make it a park, they would need to make it accessible and add safety improvements all over. When it comes to developing a park, there are countless things that would need to be "fixed" to make this possible. If it were purchased by an organization, they would have to say they were constantly in the design process of redevelopment, because I can't see an insurance company insuring the property as is, with the official purpose being public space. I think it has survived for as long as it has is because the official (and approved) purpose was never a public space. It has just been on hold for redevelopment. And even at that, I think i remember the owner saying that one reason he is selling (other than the cost of owning a good chunk of vacant land downtown) is the constant fear of being sued if someone got hurt.
In the end, it is a really awesome place that grew up organically, but it was really never practical to think that it could be a permanent fixture. And I can't see the new location being anything like what the current location is. The location, views of the city, slight danger, and (at least feeling) of no rules makes the current site what it is. It would be like demolishing the Hike and Bike trail and replacing it with a paved circular trail of the same exact length, plopping it in Pflugerville and expecting the same amount of people to use it everyday. Except the trail scenario would definitely get more use than the new Hope Gallery...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Let me guess... the people who visit it are hipsters with scraggily beards, earlobe rings and tight short-sleeved plaid shirts. I want the hipster thing to end already, so move it and move them with it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Let me guess... the people who visit it are hipsters with scraggily beards, earlobe rings and tight short-sleeved plaid shirts. I want the hipster thing to end already, so move it and move them with it.
This place is post-hipster. It's now mainstream. Families and tourists go here.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
6 years? It's been there since I was a young kid, at least since the mid 90s.
It's only been an official "art gallery" for six years. Before then it was just an abandoned site with graffiti.

Towers has a good article on this one. The gist of it is basically the cultural stuff that makes Austin "weird" comes and goes - Armadillo World HQ, Liberty Lunch, etc, all once famous, all now gone. The graffiti park will be gone, but it will remain in our city's story and other things will keep coming along.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:15 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...vB72GKuVZiaEP/
Quote:
Austin grows up: Statesman graphic from the 80s details ‘skyscraper boom’

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:45 PM
Meh

Photos of the 1922 tornado.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

This is looking northwest near 8th & Congress. The blank white wall to the right is the south wall of the Paramount Theater. The white building on the left is still there.

This might be Penn Field. There was a good bit of damage in that area. St. Edwards University had a lot of damage.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 1:33 AM
Meh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin