HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:42 AM
Meh

I think that article was talking more about what had been planned in the past and was talking about the full scope of what could have been built under that plan. For example, it's unlikely that you'd end up with a measly 25-story building packed with office space, hotel, apartments, and retail all in one, plus parking. That's back when they were considering the two tower plan - one courthouse and one private development on the same block.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think that article was talking more about what had been planned in the past and was talking about the full scope of what could have been built under that plan. For example, it's unlikely that you'd end up with a measly 25-story building packed with office space, hotel, apartments, and retail all in one, plus parking. That's back when they were considering the two tower plan - one courthouse and one private development on the same block.
Whew...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:47 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Whew...
Indeed...

Okay, I'm done.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:47 PM

I don't think this project is going too happen in the very near future. So it doesn't really matter what the plans are now because they will change with the economy whenever they are ready to go forward. I'm OK with Lincoln focusing on 600 Guadalupe for the time being. But they did invest a lot of money in the deal, so I don't think the site will stay a parking more than a few years- at most.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:22 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I don't think this project is going too happen in the very near future. So it doesn't really matter what the plans are now because they will change with the economy whenever they are ready to go forward. I'm OK with Lincoln focusing on 600 Guadalupe for the time being. But they did invest a lot of money in the deal, so I don't think the site will stay a parking more than a few years- at most.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way also and I hope that's the case. I'd be okay with a few more years of a surface parking lot in order to get something quality there, however.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:49 PM
Closed account

It better be something amazing. It would seem very silly if it did not take advantage of the lack of capital corridor hight cap.

I voted for the courthouse because I believe we should be using downtown land for civic purposes. I wish they worked on their vision for the entire block more and emphasized what they already worked out but it is what it is.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
It better be something amazing. It would seem very silly if it did not take advantage of the lack of capital corridor hight cap.

I voted for the courthouse because I believe we should be using downtown land for civic purposes. I wish they worked on their vision for the entire block more and emphasized what they already worked out but it is what it is.
As long as it's something that makes downtown a better place to live, I'm all for it. That's why I was such a fan of this hypothetical Gensler rendering. Honestly the building looked pretty lackluster, but how they designed an open plaza area, arch, and had it interact with Republic Square Park was great. We need more development thinking like that, and how to make our downtown something more than, say, Houston: empty and desolate after 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
As long as it's something that makes downtown a better place to live, I'm all for it. That's why I was such a fan of this hypothetical Gensler rendering. Honestly the building looked pretty lackluster, but how they designed an open plaza area, arch, and had it interact with Republic Square Park was great. We need more development thinking like that, and how to make our downtown something more than, say, Houston: empty and desolate after 5:30 PM.
Yes yes yes. In my mind this site is vital to the next era of downtown Austin. The 3rd-5th street zone of west DT can be pretty quiet after 5:30pm. I'm really hoping this will be an inclusive all-day attraction. Something like a museum or planetarium mixed-use would be ideal.

......There can only be so many ground floor restaurants in a 3 block radius.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:29 AM

Here are some more renderings of Gensler's vision:

https://www.gensleraustinten.com/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:08 AM

I'm hoping this place doesn't end up like what happened to The Fairmont. It took forever to break ground. I remember it was supposed to roll out around the same time that the JW finished up. All what happened was The Fairmont was scaled down and it's current design is nothing compared to the first epic renderings. Even the second renderings didn't come to fruition.

I'm hoping this is at least above 700' in height, although a supertall wouldn't hurt either.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:14 AM

That rendering is a total snooze fest . It looks like a copy of all their other square blocks. It's sleek but boring. I'm getting tired of their cut and paste designs real fast.

Last edited by austin242; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
That rendering is a total snooze fest . It looks like a copy of all there other square blocks. It's sleek but boring. I'm getting tired of their cut and paste designs real fast.
agreed. Luckily this isn't the final proposal.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:13 AM
JACKinBeantown

That's so inspir... (yawn).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

I have to say, Gensler is pretty boring...not trying to stir the pot, but their designs do look very 'generated' and put together in a short amount of time.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I have to say, Gensler is pretty boring...not trying to stir the pot, but their designs do look very 'generated' and put together in a short amount of time.
Agreed, I wish Handel Architects designed the rest of our buildings. One could only imagine how cool they would have made the bland Fairmont look. Here's hoping the final rendering for this project is interesting. Not against Gensler at all, just would be nice to have a different architect build some skyscrapers in Austin.
https://handelarchitects.com/project...=north-america

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 12:28 AM
JACKinBeantown

Sometimes people on the San Antonio threads complain about the HDRC (not always, but sometimes). Maybe the HDRC isn't such a bad idea.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:15 AM
Meh

Gensler's buildings don't look bad at all, it's just that they look a lot like, and they're doing a lot of work in Austin, so we're seeing all the similarities, and so I think we're getting burned out somewhat.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Gensler's buildings don't look bad at all, it's just that they look a lot like, and they're doing a lot of work in Austin, so we're seeing all the similarities, and so I think we're getting burned out somewhat.
Yes, thats more how I'm feeling I suppose. Our skyline is so lovely but the general feel is pretty clinical, blue and boxy. I'd love some organic shapes somewhere in there

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:48 AM
JACKinBeantown

No, they're kinda bad. Boring equals bad. Any second year UT architecture student (it's a five-year program so they're not really sophomores) could have come up with that design and had half the class present better designs.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
No, they're kinda bad. Boring equals bad. Any second year UT architecture student (it's a five-year program so they're not really sophomores) could have come up with that design and had half the class present better designs.
Ugh, no. As a former UT Arch student myself, any gensler-like design would be shot down as boring. They are more into bigger starchitect work like Daniel Libeskind, BIG, etc, and the funky shapes and forms they create (for better or for worse). Plus, in architecture school, you don't have to think about budget when designing. It's infinite. So you are always encouraged to think outside the box and go above and beyond. Gensler's designs might be handsome but they also seem to be constrained, the result of smaller budgets than say projects in NYC or chicago. There's just not enough money in this city yet for any jaw dropping or inspiring design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin