HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:52 PM
Busy Beaver

Between the OBJ and the Globe and Mail articles, I'm confused: is Sears paying or getting $170 million to get rid of their leases? I guess I should trust the Globe and Mail?

Quote:
from OBJ:
Sears will pay a total of $170 million to sell its Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver leases back to Cadillac Fairview in deals expected to close by April 20.
Quote:
from G&M:
Struggling Sears Canada Inc. (SCC-T13.040.846.89%) will close three of its department stores in top locations by the end of October, selling its leases back to their landlord for $170-million.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:01 AM

sears is being paid $170 million by Cadillac Fairview - cadillac fairview is buying out the leases from sears

also ottawa is getting a new store:

Quote:
Still, Mr. McDonald said in an interview that he is not looking to sell more stores in Canada. He said Cadillac Fairview approached Sears about taking back the three leases, whose rents are believed to have been considerably below market rates.

He said the deal offers Sears an “attractive financial benefit” allowing it to focus on new prototypes at other locations to build on its strengths. He outlined four new formats that Sears will soon start to test, including four conventional department stores, expanded franchised “dealer” stores in smaller communities and a larger-than-usual home-goods store in Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:17 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

But is that new store just the one at Pinecrest being moved over to the old Ikea location? Or is it the proposed one out in Kanata/Stittsville?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:15 AM

My best guess is that it is the location at Pinecrest Mall because it fits the definition of "larger-than-usual home-goods store" as it is going from a normal sized home store to a larger location next door, but not large enough for the full Sears store.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:48 PM

New Apple Store

New Apple Store on the horizon?

Quote:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/03/...awas.bayshore/

MACNN: Apple may have second Ottawa retail store
updated 03:15 pm EST, Sat March 3, 2012
Apple could open store in Ottawa's Bayshore

Apple may be planning a second retail store in the Canadian capital of Ottawa based on commentaries and a recent retail shakeup. Bayshore Shopping Centre in the city's West end is known to be expanding from 67,000 to 100,000 square meters, and has been getting attention from "major" retailers that would take advantage of the extra space, the Ottawa Citizen said. While the Bayshore wouldn't officially comment, numerous general mall staff were certain an Apple store was coming.

The influx was partly supported by Sears being told to leave its location at the Rideau Centre, where it has been a staple of the building for 12 years since the exit of Eaton's. Bayshore would be a possible new home for Sears and would be seen as a sort of catalyst for a rush of American brands into the city.

While unconfirmed, the retail expansion could be important for Ottawa, virtually the only major city in the country that doesn't have more than one Apple store. The city is spread out in an East-West direction, and many of its more recent and wealthier residents live in Western areas. The Bayshore, like the Rideau Centre where Apple already operates, is also a major bus hub.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
HAHAHAHA. That blog is just way too funny.

I'm really really really hoping for a Simons...Rideau Centre is a flawless location, it's serviced by STO and Simons holds serious appeal for the younger demographic that frequent Rideau Centre.

I wouldn't be surprised if the space was used as Temp space for certain stores while the expansion proceeds though....
I agree with splitting it and redesigning it. Either it would end up with 3 mid-sized anchors, or a mid-sized and a large anchor (but more like 150,000 square feet instead of 240,000). What could fit in 150,000 square feet? or 2 times about 75,000? Also what fits in 25,000 or so?

4th floor of current Sears: move the Food Court there. Also preserve space there for perhaps an urban supermarket behind the necessary new escalators. There would be no outside access, so it would need to be designed for mall-based movements.

2nd and 3rd floors: Have one or two smaller anchors. Take advantage of the entrances from the Mackenzie King Bridge (3rd) and below ground (2nd) floors.

Another smaller or mid-sized anchor could also open in what is now the food court, fronting Rideau Street.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:38 PM

Hopefully Simons and H&M.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:13 PM

I think the Sears space at Rideau could go one of two ways.

1 - Nordstrom swoops in and takes the entire space and finally moves into the Canadian market. This is would be relatively easy for both Nordstrom and Cadillac Fairview, as they wouldn't have to pay to segregate space and only some new remodeling would have to be done.

OR

2 - Cadillac Fairview splits up the space and lures H&M to finally enter the Ottawa market. I think H&M could easily pull of 2-4 Ottawa locations but we'll be happy with one for now. Further, Simons could also choose to enter the Ottawa-Gatineau market as well... both of these two retailers taking a 75,000sq/ft chunk each. This would leave about 90,000sq/ft left for other uses and new tenants. I admit, it would be nice if the foodcourt were moved, allowing some nice store fronts along Rideau, but I don't see them doing that for a while.

It will be interesting to watch what unfolds!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:52 PM

I would love a whole foods to move in.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
That would be a great idea IMO on the 4th floor part of the current Sears, with the food court there as well. Let an anchor have the 2nd and 3rd.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:30 AM

Am I missing something? A grocery store on the fourth floor seems ridiculous to me, both from a customer perspective (I would want groceries closest to the exit both for myself and other customers!) and from a mangement/logistics perspective (getting all the deliveries of fresh produce and dairy up there seems a hassle!)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I admit, it would be nice if the foodcourt were moved, allowing some nice store fronts along Rideau, but I don't see them doing that for a while.
It would be nice if they also moved the stores above the food court to the Sears space (I think it's an Athletes World and a salon) so they could have a two-storey store fronting on Rideau Street next to the two-storey Forever 21.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:21 AM
Busy Beaver

I imagine that the Rideau Street frontage of the mall will most likely undergo a lot of changes with the LRT construction. They'll probably have to dig up the street to mine out the station, and it would be interesting if we get a full underground connection between the mall and the Bay, Chapters, etc., similar to how Montreal's McGill metro station links surrounding properties. The food court will have be relocated elsewhere to achieve this, which could be a good thing as it has become too small and crowded.

I would really love to see that old City Registry Office better integrated with the development, maybe partially enclosed in an atrium (à la Bank of Canada?). It could make a nice exhibit space for revolving collections from the city archives to keep citizens in touch with civic heritage.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:10 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
How much sense does it make to have a grocery store focusing on fresh food to be located that close to the Byward Market?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:57 AM

Bayshore

The post near the top of this page talks about the potential of an Apple Store in the Bayshore Mall (or as the blog calls it... 'The Bayshore') anyways... The bottom level Baby Gap has closed and has moved into a combined Gap upstairs and I have heard through rumours with people I know at Bayshore that the old Baby Gap is going to become an Apple Store and a Coach. Currently it's all boarded off for renovations with no signs on the outside of the partitions (as of about a week ago - last time I was there). Hopefully the rumours are true as I think Ottawa can easily support more Apple Stores and another Coach location besides the one at Rideau.

-MountainView

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
How much sense does it make to have a grocery store focusing on fresh food to be located that close to the Byward Market?
A whole foods it would be open 12 months a year while the market is really limited to 6 months.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:35 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
A whole foods it would be open 12 months a year while the market is really limited to 6 months.
Except that that is not true. Most food vendors (as opposed to artisans) are there from April through November, which is 8 months, and some actually stay throughout the year. In addition, the area's food stores (Sasloves, Lapointe's, ByWard Fruit Market, La Bottega, Sausage Kitchen, etc.), almost all small local businesses, can fill in the gaps during the winter.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Except that that is not true. Most food vendors (as opposed to artisans) are there from April through November, which is 8 months, and some actually stay throughout the year. In addition, the area's food stores (Sasloves, Lapointe's, ByWard Fruit Market, La Bottega, Sausage Kitchen, etc.), almost all small local businesses, can fill in the gaps during the winter.
What i mean is the full market sure small companys can help but a whole foods would help as well does it make tons of sense for a whole foods maybe not but there are areas that are flooded with grocery stores and farmers markets and are doing ok.

Last edited by reidjr; Mar 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:08 PM

Regarding Whole Foods, I refuse to patronize a business who directed tons of its profits to opposing a public health care system in the US -which is what WF did. I hope all Ottawans will do the same and boycott it until it closes down. Additionally, I've been to the Whole Foods in Toronto and felt the prices were way too high relative to the quality.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Regarding Whole Foods, I refuse to patronize a business who directed tons of its profits to opposing a public health care system in the US -which is what WF did. I hope all Ottawans will do the same and boycott it until it closes down. Additionally, I've been to the Whole Foods in Toronto and felt the prices were way too high relative to the quality.
How is it opposing public health?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy