HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:12 AM

Maybe one of those station houses could be leased to a restaurant. Al fresco dining with a train whizzing past every other minute.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:01 AM
TL;DR

Lol. I used to think this, but Quincy is pretty much identical. The cool one is actually Randolph/Wabash with its 1950s Moderne design. Apparently that 1950s renovation was designed and funded by Marshall Fields.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This part of the conversation could probably be moved to the transit thread, but I agree. IIRC there will still be an auxiliary stair at this street so in theory it could terminate the end of the new modern platform with the historic entrance.

The whole system could be entirely overhauled for all I care but I always thought the station houses on the loop track should remain, even if they no longer serve their primary functions.
totally agreed...some re-use would be amazing if it's not still functional.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This part of the conversation could probably be moved to the transit thread, but I agree. IIRC there will still be an auxiliary stair at this street so in theory it could terminate the end of the new modern platform with the historic entrance.

The whole system could be entirely overhauled for all I care but I always thought the station houses on the loop track should remain, even if they no longer serve their primary functions.
I'll finish my point on this thread then move it to transit. I love the ideas that a few other users mentioned as well. A restaurant or just keep it around for posterity.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:47 PM
BANNED

Maggie Daley Park

10/21/14, looking southwest

Skating ribbon. This is the last "corner" left to pour.

Tee-pee lamp posts. There are quite a few of them. Eventually they'll be hidden by trees.

Bonus shot inside the Fieldhouse, which will sell concessions, skate rentals, lockers, etc. ..There will be no pay-to-play restaurant, though

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:31 PM
Content provider

urban wonderland

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 4:10 PM

FYI, both the huge lots along Milwaukee and Winnebago just South of the Bloomingdale Trail are fenced off and construction has commenced. The Winnebago side is townhomes while the Milwaukee site is that NW medicine clinic. Another big vacant lot bites the dust.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:05 PM

I'm very excited for Maggie Daley Park. I work in LSE and I used to walk home through Daley Bicentenial purely by choice so I could have a bit of foliage in my short commute-by-foot. I can't wait to be able to make that a stroll through MDP instead, which will have not just trees and grass but lots of activity to look at. It would be great to see children and families enjoying the park.

Re: retail, I know the fieldhouse wont have a restaurant but I've heard that the skating ribbon might be used for cafe style seating similar to how Millennium Park's skating area is used by the park grill. I've been working on the assumption that they'll be able to pop up some small vendors for that purpose. Hopefully they can sell drinks or treats near the playground area too.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:47 PM
TL;DR

The site plan shows a small cafe just off of the skating ribbon. Given its size, it might actually just be a food truck dock, which would be great - a rotating selection of offerings, and if someone fails to perform, you kick them out and get somebody new the next day. No long-term contracts like Park Grill.

Come to think of it, the Park District should encourage more partnerships with food trucks and street vendors, so long as they have trash disposal worked out.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM
BANNED

If what's on the drawing will be anything like the Park Cafe, I'd consider that to be perfect. The Park Cafe is an excellent place to lounge for a drink or two in the summer, and what's better than one Park Cafe? Two. ..especially if they roll up a few food trucks into the mix

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 PM
The City

^ Yeah, the only thing better than Maggie Daley Park is getting hammered at Maggie Daley Park

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:30 PM
BANNED

^ Who's getting hammered off "a drink or two"? ..unless you're being serious, in which case, let's party

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:02 PM

Mystery Facade Test at the old X/O site:

Could it be for the townhomes that were proposed?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:43 PM

The Golub townhome plan was shown at a PDNA meeting not too long ago. They didn't have the design finalized but they showed some massing renders. Sounded like it was ready to move forward, though they did mention that they had to get lakefront protection ordinance clearance due to the location.

Plan for 62 Townhomes Shared with Anxious Neighborhood

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:57 PM
Urbane observer

Looks more like temporary staging than a façade test, but it might be for one of Golub's bigger projects, such as 1001 S. State.

I think the lead developer on the townhouses is Sandz, with Golub having brought the land to the table and possibly providing some financing assistance.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:24 PM

Yeah, based on the designs Aaron just posted, it's obviously got nothing to do with the fugly townhomes they are building.

It might be hard to see in the image, but it was definitely a facade test. There was one crate of unassembled windows and then one big fully assembled section sitting on the flatbed with a temporary room behind it (which you often see with the facade tests). The facade undulates in and out, it almost looked like it could be the facade for City Hyde Park... Whatever it is it looks totally awesome in person.

Now that I think about it, I think there is a high probability that it could be City Hyde Park given the stage at which the construction at is for that project. The only question would be why it is so far away from the actual site? No land available in Hyde Park and any lot in the surrounding hoods could result in shattered glass?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 PM

Write your name on one of them with UV ink and when all 3 buildings are done we can solve this mystery with a black light.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:42 PM

already posted

Last edited by BrinChi; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM. Reason: duplicate info

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 PM
The City

^ Golub's project in Streeterville has an undulating facade as well

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Golub's project in Streeterville has an undulating facade as well
Yeah, but with blue glass and no black design elements. The Gang proposal clearly has black frames.

If they paint the concrete white on City HP that building will really pop if it has black frames like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development