HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:45 PM

Gallup, NM

Gallup is a city in western New Mexico, along I-40 on the edge of the Four Corners region. It is the seat of McKinley County. The population is around 21,000.

The town was established as a stop on the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad in 1881. It was named for David Gallup, paymaster for the railroad. The community first grew because of the machine shop for the railroad, and because the railroad provided better access to coal deposits in the region. Later, the construction of US Route 66 brought cross-country travelers. The road was built through New Mexico between 1920 and 1934, and received its designation in 1926.

Gallup, being central to reservations for the Navajo, Hopi, and Zuni tribes, is called the "Indian Capital of the World."

Looking west down Coal Avenue. When US Route 66 was originally commissioned, Coal Avenue carried the famous highway for about 10 blocks. Later, Coal Avenue carried Route 66 eastbound traffic through Gallup.

The El Morro Theater, on Coal Avenue. The theater was built in 1928.

The old theater was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, by Carl Boller.

The old Grand Hotel, on Coal Avenue. The hotel was built in 1925, and is now a store.

The old 1940s J.C. Penney Company store, on Coal Avenue. The structure was built in the mid-1920s.

The old Chief Theatre, on Coal Avenue. The theater was built in 1920, and is now a store.

An Indian craft store on Coal Avenue.

The old Lexington Hotel, on Historic Highway 66. The hotel was built in 1930, and features a neon sign on the roof from the 1930s that is one of the oldest on Route 66.

The old Rex Hotel, on Historic Highway 66. The hotel was built in 1910, and is now a town museum.

Storefronts on Historic Highway 66, used by Richardson's Trading Company.

Richardson's Trading Company, on Historic Highway 66. The store was founded in 1913.

Kitchens Opera House, on Historic Highway 66. The opera house was built in 1895.

Buildings on Historic Highway 66 at 2nd Street.

Businesses on Historic Highway 66.

A structure on Historic Highway 66, built in 1930.

The Heller Building, on Historic Highway 66. The structure was built in 1928.

A neon sign at the Chamber of Commerce Visitor's Center on Historic Highway 66 showcases the nostalgia for US Route 66, known as the "Mother Road," which goes through the heart of Gallup.

A coal car, in front of the Visitor's Center. The car dates to 1890, and is tyipcal of the cars used to transport coal from the nearby mines.

An old garage on Historic Highway 66. The garage was built in 1930.

The Iglesia Haspana Pentecostal El Pueblo de Dios (House of God Hispanic Pentecostal Church), on Historic Highway 66. The church was built in 1898 as a house, and was modified into a commercial building in 1930.

El Rancho Hotel, on Historic Highway 66, just east of the business district. The hotel was built in 1936 in a Rustic style, and was the headquarters and temporary actors' home for many Western movies, until Westerns and cowboy movies declined in the 1960s.

The Blue Spruce Motel, on Historic Highway 66. The motel was built in 1950.

The sign for the Blue Spruce Lodge also dates to 1950.

The Lariat Lodge, on Historic Highway 66. The motel was built in 1952.

The Arrowhead Lodge, on Historic Highway 66. The motel was built in 1949.

The Redwood Lodge, on Historic Highway 66. The motel was built in 1931. The sign dates to 1952.

El Capitan Motel, on Historic Highway 66. The motel was built in 1955.

El Coronado Motel, on Historic Highway 66.

The Zia Motel, on Historic Highway 66.

A restaurant on Historic Highway 66.

A restaurant on Historic Highway 66.

A repurposed muffler man at a used car lot on Coal Avenue.

A motel on Coal Avenue.

A restaurant on Coal Avenue.

A cafe on Coal Avenue.

The El Morro Events Center, on 2nd Street. The structure was built in 2015.

The McKinley County Courthouse, on Hill Street. The courthouse was built in 1938 in a Pueblo Revival style, and was designed by the Trost & Trost architectural firm.

The McKinley County Courthouse addition, on Hill Street. The addition was built in 2004.

Sacred Heart Cathedral, on Woodrow Avenue. The cathedral was built in 1955, and is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gallup, which covers northwestern New Mexico and northeastern Arizona.

A house on Green Avenue.

Houses on Green Avenue.

A hosue on Strong Drive.

Houses on Hill Avenue.

A house on 1st Street.

A house on 2nd Street.

A house on Aztec Avenue.

An apartment building on Puerco Drive.

Looking west down Coal Avenue, into the central commercial district.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I was just there last year. Drove from LA, to LV, to Kingman to Amarillo and then on to Dallas. Fun drive.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

poll results indicate this is an interesting town and thread!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 9:26 PM

Cool thread and I've driven through there and stopped there while riding Amtrak's Southwest Chief as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:40 AM

Very interesting tour. At such a high elevation, Gallup has an interesting climate. Lows during the winter sometimes go below zero, and even the average lows are quite cold during the winter. The record low is -34 F.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:54 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I was just through there last year. Unfortunately, I've never actually been to the town. We've always used it for years on our cross-country trips to measure how close we were getting to border with Arizona. Same with Tucumcari on the other side of the state. All these towns - including Flagstaff, Williams and Kingman in Arizona - always felt like home after going for miles and miles without seeing a town of decent size.

The town looks nicer than I thought it was.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 12:47 AM

Thank you for the tour, it's unusual to see an all-night set that isn't a big city panorama!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:09 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice thread. I might have been that way about 20 years ago. Is it near Farmington??

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Fun tour Matt. I like the lines and lighting of that Events Center.

btw, you can do a tour of a city all the way out in New Mexico, but can't stop by Ithaca on one of your trips upstate? tsk-tsk

Thanks for the tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 3:32 PM

It's interesting that so many people have driven through Gallup! I am surprised, but then not surprised, of the number of people familiar with the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Thank you for the tour, it's unusual to see an all-night set that isn't a big city panorama!
I originally wasn't going to do a phototour of Gallup, since I had arrived so late into town (I had taken all day driving from Flagstaff, stopping at Meteor Crater, Winslow, Holbrook, and the Petrified Forest). But with the amount of neon in the town, I figured, why not? Sometimes at night is the best time to see a place.

For the record, I did a photothread at night before of a place, for the same reason. I took pictures of Wildwood Crest's (NJ) Motel District at magic hour, because of the neon signs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Nice thread. I might have been that way about 20 years ago. Is it near Farmington??
Yes, very relatively speaking. Farmington is a 110-mile drive north of Gallup, and north of I-40. Gallup is probably the closest significant city to Farmington, but only because Farmington is out in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Fun tour Matt. I like the lines and lighting of that Events Center.

btw, you can do a tour of a city all the way out in New Mexico, but can't stop by Ithaca on one of your trips upstate? tsk-tsk

Thanks for the tour.
I'll get there eventually. It looked like I would be up there for work last year, but it didn't happen. Maybe I'm saving Ithaca for a special occasion!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos