HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I find both the buildings you mentioned to be quite eye catching and I enjoy looking at them.

Also, having a skyline not grow, even with current prosperity, is the least of developers' concern. Why? Because it's irrelevant to most people and the market, specially in a city not known for skyscrapers and an internationally recognizeable skyline.

You worry too much about it.
"both" buildings? I mentioned four.

You worry too much about what a person you've never met worries about (even though said person [me] is not "worried" at all - simply asking a question).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I've followed SA on this thread for the last 10+ years as I'm originally from there. The dynamics in SA are quite a bit different than the other 3 majors in Texas. Houston, Dallas, Austin all have big job creating sectors such as Tech, O&G, Finance, etc... Although SA has some of that, its not to the extent of any of those cities. It is still heavily military, with (correct me if I'm wrong) Insurance and some energy and service industry mixed in. SA I believe is JUST getting to the point that its picking up steam... Think Austin in the late 80's early 90's. Tech is starting to take notice of SA due to its lower cost of living and good proximity to Austin, but I think we are still a decade or more away from seeing the tech industry really grasp the idea of SA. Also, within the Tech realm, Austin really owes a ton of its growth to one company... Dell. Dell is THE reason IMHO that Austin boomed. Dell got big, other companies moved in to supply Dell and then other companies started piling in to get first dibs on UT graduates with Comp Science degrees. It really was a perfect "storm" per se, where as SA doesn't really have a "Dell". To speak to your comment on the differences in height in the Frost towers... it all has to do with economics and ROI at the time of inception. Frost in Austin (again, correct me if I'm wrong) was supposed to be taller... but after the 9/11 attacks and subsequent economic downturn, was shortened to adjust to the economics of the time.

SO, is SA the "San Jose" of Texas? No, SA has and will always be its own city, with its own industries and certainly its own unique culture. Will we ever see SA get the type of development that Austin, Dallas and Houston are seeing? Maybe? but maybe not! And that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are some cool things happening in SA a la the Pearl, Southtown, Lower Brodway etc. These are all areas that are seeing really cool projects that, although not splashy high rises, contribute to the resurgence of areas of town that a decade ago were veritable waste lands while maintaining the character of the city.
Thank you for your well thought out, well articulated and detailed response. Very helpful. I am scheduled to visit San Antonio soon, and look forward to seeing the developments noted by you and Urbannizer.

Last edited by JAYNYC; Mar 28, 2018 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
...Think Austin in the late 80's early 90's. Tech is starting to take notice of SA due to its lower cost of living and good proximity to Austin, but I think we are still a decade or more away from seeing the tech industry really grasp the idea of SA. Also, within the Tech realm, Austin really owes a ton of its growth to one company... Dell. Dell is THE reason IMHO that Austin boomed. Dell got big, other companies moved in to supply Dell and then other companies started piling in to get first dibs on UT graduates with Comp Science degrees. It really was a perfect "storm" per se, where as SA doesn't really have a "Dell".
SA does not have an engine driver like the University of Texas (and some 140,000-150,000 additional college students in the metro area). And, thus, tech will never be anywhere as big as it is in Austin. Furthermore, the tech industry took hold in Austin LONG before Dell really began to grow and took it's place as one of the world's largest computer manufacturers in the early 1990's. In fact, MCC and SEMATECH are widely given credit to beginning Austin's "current" tech boom (in the early-to-mid 1980's).

Austin's tech history dates back to the 1950's and 1960's when Tracor, IBM and Texas Instruments established a large presence in the city.

Also, remember that Austin has doubled it's metro population every 20-25 years since its founding in 1839. So, tech is not the sole reason for the city's growth over time.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:05 PM

either way... these are good developments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
either way... these are good developments.
Very much agreed.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:29 AM

Bexar County Commissioners Give Incentive to Luxury Development

Quote:
Bexar County Commissioners on Tuesday voted unanimously to approve a tax incentive for a proposed 13-story, mixed-use luxury apartment development downtown near Hemisfair, one of the first such abatements approved since the County temporarily halted development incentives in October 2017.

The mixed-used development to be built at 421 S. Presa St. will include 70 apartments, two townhomes, three live-work spaces, a parking garage, and more than 1,500 square feet of retail space on the ground floor. Tim Proctor, the developer, said rent would likely be valued at about $3 per square foot, putting monthly rental rates at about $1,700 to $6,500.

Proctor said he expected the Durango Apartments to be completed by August 2019.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Curious to know, what architect(s) is credited as being the first to design high rises using the top heavy, slender rectangular look that is the trend in a few cities at the moment? It typically consists of a 5-10 story base / foundation, and then a deck with poles supporting a taller, slender rectangular structure. It appears to be very popular in the Southwest and South - is the architect responsible for it based in that region?

Per my count, three (Canopy by Hilton, Thompson and the "luxury" residence mentioned above) of the four tallest buildings under construction in San Antonio utilize this type of design. I feel like it will be viewed as tacky, excessively trendy and dated in 15-20 years, similar to the round design frequently associated with Holiday Inn buildings nationwide during the 1970's.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I will be updating this page soon with many new towers and downtown projects planned for the S.A. CBD.
"Soon"? It's been 18 months.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:44 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

In that picture of Frost I noticed they painted the upper floors of Weston Centre gray and stuck a big BBVA Compass logo up there.

Looks really bad.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
That moment when you think “Wow, the coolest tall glass building in South Central Texas is heading for San Antonio!”, and then The Republic announces it's heading for Austin.

Frost (S.A.) would look SOOOOO much better if it had raised the design by 323' to 709' tall.

I believe The Republic had already been announced. However, late last week they added something like 125' (10 stories) to it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
In that picture of Frost I noticed they painted the upper floors of Weston Centre gray and stuck a big BBVA Compass logo up there.

Looks really bad.
Didn't see that at first - nice catch.

Is that real? Was it just Photoshopped for reference purposes? Either way, looks beyond awful.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:15 AM

SA at street level is a great place. The skyline is just so awkward though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
SA at street level is a great place. The skyline is just so awkward though.
Go back and look at the photo with the Frost rendering above. There is no architectural continuity (nor much of any aesthetic balance) among the five tallest buildings pictured. A shiny (but stumpy) glass can-opener, a beige-ish brown box, a tan staircase with ridiculously out of place branding, an adobe-red clay box with plain square windows that looks like something a child would draw with crayons, etc.

Pretty hideous.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
SA does not have an engine driver like the University of Texas (and some 140,000-150,000 additional college students in the metro area). And, thus, tech will never be anywhere as big as it is in Austin. Furthermore, the tech industry took hold in Austin LONG before Dell really began to grow and took it's place as one of the world's largest computer manufacturers in the early 1990's. In fact, MCC and SEMATECH are widely given credit to beginning Austin's "current" tech boom (in the early-to-mid 1980's).

Austin's tech history dates back to the 1950's and 1960's when Tracor, IBM and Texas Instruments established a large presence in the city.

Also, remember that Austin has doubled it's metro population every 20-25 years since its founding in 1839. So, tech is not the sole reason for the city's growth over time.

San Antonio's tech industry ranks 4th of 5th amongst its top economic drivers. DOD, Finance-Insurance, Healthcare -Biomedical, Manufacturing are several times larger than the local tech industry, either by the number of job sector total employment or economic impact.

San Antonio has a large college population comparable to Austin's. The problem is it doesn't have a tier 1 university, yet, but UTSA is not far from reaching that goal.

I found and insightful article about the state of higher education in San Antonio.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion...me-4829901.php
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Thank you for respecting my right to share my own opinion. If only every SSP forum poster were as polite as you are.

I respect and agree with your opinion regarding the Verizon building in New York.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:47 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post

Looks really bad.
You know it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

San Antonio downtown area new developments update. 10,000 residential units completed in the urban core more U/C or proposed.

1.Thompson Hotel and Art Residences Tower| 314 FEET | 20 FLOORS | U/C
2. City Public Srvice Headquarters | UC| 15 & 12 Floors | U/c
3. Credit Human HQ | 188 FEET | 12 FLOORS & 6 FLOORS │ U/C
4. Canopy by Hilton Hotel | 247 FT | 24 FLOORS │ U/C
5. Artista Hotel │ 8 FLOORS │ Proposed
6. Frost Bank Headquarters │ 400 FEET | 24 FLOORS │ U/C Recently completed
7. Bright Shawl McCullough Apartments 5 Floors U/C
8. The Flats at River North | 5 FLOORS | UC
9. The Soto Office Tower River North│ 6 FLOORS │ U/C
10. Jefferson Bank HQ | 12 FLOORS | Proposed
11. Hemisfair Park Redevelopment Multiple Towers proposed , residential, mix Use
Civic Park UC groundbreaking soon
The '68 Apartments|8 floors| 151 units |UC|
12. Essex Modern City 1 million Sq. Ft| Mixed Use | Proposed NearAlamodome & St. Paul Square
The first phase 80,000 square feet of creative office space, 65,000 sF of retail, 248 apartments, 160 condominiums, 80 townhomes and a food hall
13. The Floodgate Apartments Riverwalk| 212 FT | 17 FLOORS | Proposed
14. 307 Dwyer Apartments │ 6 FLOORS │ U/C
15. St. John’s Square Mixed Use apartmets | 8 FLOORS | Proposed
16. New federal courthouse | 5 Floors| Approved
17. Hampton Inn & Suites / Home2 Suites | 94 FEET | 8 FLOORS | U/C
18. Hilton Garden Inn | 156 FEET | 11 FLOORS| Consturction complete
19. Villita Street Tower Apartments Riverwalk│ 284 FEET | 24 FLOORS │ Proposed
20. 226 Newell Apartments│ 4 FLOORS │ U/C
21. 2100 Broadway Office Tower│ 12 FLOORS │ Proposed
22. Vitré Apartments Cattleman Square| 4 FLOORS | Approved
23. Museum Reach Lofts │ 5 FLOORS │ Approved
24. 1603 Broadway W Hotel| 20 Floors | 255 Feet | Proposed
25. 2 mile San Pedro Creek Linear Park Downtown | UC
26. Museum Reach Lofts River North│ 5 FLOORS │ Approved
27. Durango Apartments │ 151 FEET | 13 FLOORS │ Proposed
28. Encore Riverwalk │ 75 FEET | 5 FLOORS │ U/C
29. Cambria Hotel & Mixed Use │ 18 FLOORS │ 236 FEET │ Approved
30. Kallison Square Apartments│ 21 FLOORS │ Proposed
31. Hard Rock Hotel | 18 FLOORS | Proposed
32. 120 Ninth Street │ 5 FLOORS │ U/C
33. $300 Million University of Texas downtown expansion 10,000 students projected 45,000 students by 2028 for both the downtown and northside campus.
34. Elan Riverwalk │ 8 FLOORS │ Recent completion
35. The Cellars Apartments Pearl District| 124 FEET | 10 FLOORS | Recent completion
36. Zona Cultural-7 Acre Development West-End Downtown.
37. Big Tex Grain Apartment Lofts│Mixed USe Riverwalk| 4 FLOORS│Recent Completion
38. Arts District Mixed-Use | 5 FLOORS | Proposed
39. Southtown Flats │ 5 FLOORS │ Recent completion
40. AVENUE B APARTMENTS River North│ 6 FLOORS │Recent Completion
41. Jones & Rio Apartments River North |5 floors|
42. The Baldwin @ St. Paul Square |4 floors|Recent completion
43. The Alameda Theatre redevelopment Texas Public Radio
44. Hotel Sul Fiume │ 180 FT │ 14 FLOORS │ Proposed
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
San Antonio downtown area new developments update. 10,000 residential units completed in the urban core more U/C or proposed.

1.Thompson Hotel and Art Residences Tower| 314 FEET | 20 FLOORS | U/C
2. City Public Srvice Headquarters | UC| 15 & 12 Floors | U/c
3. Credit Human HQ | 188 FEET | 12 FLOORS & 6 FLOORS │ U/C
4. Canopy by Hilton Hotel | 247 FT | 24 FLOORS │ U/C
5. Artista Hotel │ 8 FLOORS │ Proposed
6. Frost Bank Headquarters │ 400 FEET | 24 FLOORS │ U/C Recently completed
7. Bright Shawl McCullough Apartments 5 Floors U/C
8. The Flats at River North | 5 FLOORS | UC
9. The Soto Office Tower River North│ 6 FLOORS │ U/C
10. Jefferson Bank HQ | 12 FLOORS | Proposed
11. Hemisfair Park Redevelopment Multiple Towers proposed , residential, mix Use
Civic Park UC groundbreaking soon
The '68 Apartments|8 floors| 151 units |UC|
12. Essex Modern City 1 million Sq. Ft| Mixed Use | Proposed NearAlamodome & St. Paul Square
The first phase 80,000 square feet of creative office space, 65,000 sF of retail, 248 apartments, 160 condominiums, 80 townhomes and a food hall
13. The Floodgate Apartments Riverwalk| 212 FT | 17 FLOORS | Proposed
14. 307 Dwyer Apartments │ 6 FLOORS │ U/C
15. St. John’s Square Mixed Use apartmets | 8 FLOORS | Proposed
16. New federal courthouse | 5 Floors| Approved
17. Hampton Inn & Suites / Home2 Suites | 94 FEET | 8 FLOORS | U/C
18. Hilton Garden Inn | 156 FEET | 11 FLOORS| Consturction complete
19. Villita Street Tower Apartments Riverwalk│ 284 FEET | 24 FLOORS │ Proposed
20. 226 Newell Apartments│ 4 FLOORS │ U/C
21. 2100 Broadway Office Tower│ 12 FLOORS │ Proposed
22. Vitré Apartments Cattleman Square| 4 FLOORS | Approved
23. Museum Reach Lofts │ 5 FLOORS │ Approved
24. 1603 Broadway W Hotel| 20 Floors | 255 Feet | Proposed
25. 2 mile San Pedro Creek Linear Park Downtown | UC
26. Museum Reach Lofts River North│ 5 FLOORS │ Approved
27. Durango Apartments │ 151 FEET | 13 FLOORS │ Proposed
28. Encore Riverwalk │ 75 FEET | 5 FLOORS │ U/C
29. Cambria Hotel & Mixed Use │ 18 FLOORS │ 236 FEET │ Approved
30. Kallison Square Apartments│ 21 FLOORS │ Proposed
31. Hard Rock Hotel | 18 FLOORS | Proposed
32. 120 Ninth Street │ 5 FLOORS │ U/C
33. $300 Million University of Texas downtown expansion 10,000 students projected 45,000 students by 2028 for both the downtown and northside campus.
34. Elan Riverwalk │ 8 FLOORS │ Recent completion
35. The Cellars Apartments Pearl District| 124 FEET | 10 FLOORS | Recent completion
36. Zona Cultural-7 Acre Development West-End Downtown.
37. Big Tex Grain Apartment Lofts│Mixed USe Riverwalk| 4 FLOORS│Recent Completion
38. Arts District Mixed-Use | 5 FLOORS | Proposed
39. Southtown Flats │ 5 FLOORS │ Recent completion
40. AVENUE B APARTMENTS River North│ 6 FLOORS │Recent Completion
41. Jones & Rio Apartments River North |5 floors|
42. The Baldwin @ St. Paul Square |4 floors|Recent completion
43. The Alameda Theatre redevelopment Texas Public Radio
44. Hotel Sul Fiume │ 180 FT │ 14 FLOORS │ Proposed
For outsiders, this should be more loosely defined as Central San Antonio (potential) Developments.

Downtown SA has a huge defined area - far larger than most cities. And encompasses several single family residential areas - not just the CBD.

Oh, what's up with the Hard Rock Hotel? That's been on the "potential" list for years. And some of these developments listed are actually not located in the officially defined area of "Downtown San Antonio" (going back to my comment about entitling this Central San Antonio Developments).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Extremely disappointing skyscraper construction activity, especially for a city of its size.

Sad that the 314ft. Thompson Hotel is the largest current (or proposed) development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations