HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
How would others on this forum have discovered that Saskatoon CMA has the highest per capita Mexican/Tex-mex restaurants, of which are either independent or chain eateries.
Does it? You said it had the most Taco Times which you were told is a meaningless stat.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acajack
For example, my humble and reluctantly urbane city of Gatineau is actually home to the second-best sommelier (super duper global wine expert) in the world several years running. I can go to the wine bar/restaurant owned by this person for lunch today if I want.

And a film-maker who was nominated for the Oscar for best foreign film and now makes Hollywood movies with the likes Reese Witherspoon, Naomi Watts, Liev Schreiber, etc. grew up around the corner from me and is friends with a number of my good friends.

I didn't think SSP Canada needed to know this in order to pump up my city's credibility. At least not until now.

Well, actually I still don't think any of this is relevant to our everyday discussions on here. Nor do I think this makes my city a place that people need to publicly acknowledge is culturally exciting or dynamic in a way that makes us stand out (counter-culturally or otherwise)...

(This is probably the last time I'll mention any of this on SSP.)

the difference between you and me is that when someone mentions a few things about their province that are unique and even counter-culture when the threads train of thought goes to that, I don't done play the post and say things like 'does it end at the border' or 'ya but your province music industry isn't unique enough to have a say.. sitarist' etc.

I would never do that, it would be like me to say 'Oscar nominated film maker thats filmed with Reese Witherspoon?...but every province probably has an Emmy award winner involved with Hollywood movie industry, costarring in a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal & releasing a movie tomorrow, September 22nd, for all I know'...

I would never down play others comments like that though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think it's worth remembering what triggered the Sask-overdose on here.

It was this post:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=141

Nothing even remotely related to Saskatchewan in there - positive or negative.

This eagerness to "plug" a particular place out of context reminds of a local guy I know casually.

He has knack for relating every single topic to his daughter's performances at gymnastics competitions.

As in:

- Hey Joe, wow... price of gas just went up by a lot.

- Oh yeah, tell me about it. It was this high last year too when we went to Montreal for Amélie's gym competition and she won a gold medal...

Do you really wanna be that guy?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
the difference between you and me is that when someone mentions a few things about their province that are unique and even counter-culture when the threads train of thought goes to that, I don't done play the post and say things like 'does it end at the border' or 'ya but your province music industry isn't unique enough to have a say.. sitarist' etc.

I would never do that, it would be like me to say 'Oscar nominated film maker thats filmed with Reese Witherspoon?...but every province probably has an Emmy award winner involved with Hollywood movie industry, costarring in a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal & releasing a movie tomorrow, September 22nd, for all I know'...

I would never down play others comments like that though.
You mean like here?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1076

People are more charitable to those they consider to be of good faith.

SignalHillHiker does a lot of what we might call "Newfoundland promotion" on here but he's generally respectful and not immediately dismissive of what others say, even when he's being critical.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:23 PM

^^ taken into context.. that was after the same downplaying of my posts again from someone for Quebec

Quote:
Do you really wanna be that guy?
..was that comment meant for me or SignalHillHiker?
I don't think that comment is fair to either of us & I take offence to you even calling him that.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^^..was that comment meant for me or SignalHillHiker?
I don't think that comment is fair to either of us & I take offence to you even calling him that.
I don't think SignalHillHiker would object to me saying or deny that he does a lot of "Newfoundland promotion" on SSP Canada. If that's what you're talking about.

But if you mean that guy (re his daughter's gymnastics), then no it's not anyone on SSP Canada.

It's a guy I know in real life here in Gatineau.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

I think I see the trend now then Acajack, you like to poke jabs at my posts because I tend to fight back.. point taken.. its only the posts from the ones I respect the most on SSP that I tend to comment back with if you can take anything from that

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

No worries.

BTW having lived in a number of provinces and with relatives in about 7 of them, I can assure you that generally speaking no has "it in" for Saskatchewan. Except maybe for your two neighbours when it comes to the Riders...

Where I live if you ask people about Saskatchewan they likely think of the Riders, or this song which is very well known in Quebec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLUkofJtQc

With lyrics (in French):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_dy2y-oX0

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:09 PM
Registered Drug User

Since the thread has come to this point, I'd like to state that I myself am a sitarist who has it in for Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:09 PM
Registered Drug User

Sorry, just kidding. I don't really play the sitar.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:19 PM

SaskScraper, you must not have traveled much... you look like you're straight from the Middle Ages, back when people lived and died without leaving their village, and the next town was a distant, exotic place where people spoke weird and had strange customs.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
'Bunny Hug' is another Saskatchewan subculture item a lot of Canadians have heard of about, again may not be totally alien to most people in Med Hat or Brandon, but definitely specific to Saskatchewan.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bunnyhug

Food wise, how many people from Med Hat or Brandon know about the largely Saskatchewan term 'Vico'.? i'd say most people in those two cities don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi-Co

If you were to ask ANY one from Saskatchewan what the term 'RING THOSE ____*'
(fill in the blank*) refers to, everyone that's ever lived in the Province would know EXACTLY the cultural event it refers to but again most people in Brandon or Med Hat wouldn't.. not to mention anyone else in Canada..
By those standards, my family is a legit subculture of Quebec, as we have a handful of inside jokes and running gags that we would all get, while Québécois outsiders to the family wouldn't.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Incidentally, I went to your neck of the woods yesterday (rare Kijiji item that I needed, so I had no choice but to make the long drive to Gatineau for it)... several hours' drive, and I was curious to see what kind of lifeforms I would find in that strange land (I was expecting something like the one on the right in your image), but in the end I discovered the people over there are humans and we even managed to communicate without problems.

(I didn't know in advance I would make that trip and I was in a bit of a hurry but otherwise I would probably have shot you a PM, I think it would have been cool to shake hands and share drinks.)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Incidentally, I went to your neck of the woods yesterday (rare Kijiji item that I needed, so I had no choice but to make the long drive to Gatineau for it)... several hours' drive, and I was curious to see what kind of lifeforms I would find in that strange land (I was expecting something like the one on the right in your image), but in the end I discovered the people over there are humans and we even managed to communicate without problems.

(I didn't know in advance I would make that trip and I was in a bit of a hurry but otherwise I would probably have shot you a PM, I think it would have been cool to shake hands and share drinks.)
C'eut été sympa...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada