HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
FYI, the same company that did that project likely supplied the facade panels for OBP.
So if two phones are both made by Samsung they are of the exact same quality even if ones a promotional penny phone and the other is a top of the line Galaxy flagship? Tell me more about how companies only produce one level of quality for their products!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:09 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 5:45 AM

I was hater at different points on this one a well, more so for the way it was supposed to be and now will be. But with that last picture I think this one will grow on people, including myself.
Please dont fuck up the crown.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:23 PM

April 6

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:50 PM
Development Shill

It brings a lot of contrast in color and design to the neighborhood and some much needed height. It will also balance out the inevitable supertall(s) coming to the Spire site. It's never going to make my top 100 skyscrapers in the world list, but if the crown is done well and is pretty at night, then that's enough for me. Honestly, it's a step above the quality of almost everything in Streeterville as is, which makes me laugh at all the hate it gets.

Far from perfect, far from bad = meh :/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:02 PM
1st Ward

^ I was always much more excited for this tower than I have been as of late, but your points do bring everything a bit into perspective. Not that I was overly critical of it, but I should be a bit easier on this tower going forward. Assuming Related doesn't completely screw the pooch on the crown

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:06 PM
Development Shill

Yep, much of my judgement of this building still hinges on how the crown ties it together...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:49 AM

DAMAGE CONTROL..... is walking into the ring!

Luv the backtracking from all the simpletons...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:19 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
DAMAGE CONTROL..... is walking into the ring!

Luv the backtracking from all the simpletons...
I actually am taking a position I had initially on this tower, in which I very much approved of its design. The last minute changes by Related are what caused me to change course.

Also, calling people morons en masse typically isn't the best way to have your posts be taken seriously by the community at large.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I actually am taking a position I had initially on this tower, in which I very much approved of its design. The last minute changes by Related are what caused me to change course.

Also, calling people morons en masse typically isn't the best way to have your posts be taken seriously by the community at large.
Maybe insulting people isn't the best way to go about things, but I agree with what he's getting at. I've never seen so much bitching and moaning in my life than on these forums, only to have people do a 180 all the time. It's weird. One of the reasons I never post.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 12:53 AM

I always thought this one got too harsh a treatment as well, and I also have been a mild supporter of it from the beginning. I like it's massing and overall size especially in the context of it's neighborhood. I do agree that cutting out some of the detailing( those widows needed that trim) has tarnished its overall appeal. Waiting on that crown, and the lantern when lit up.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:17 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster slayer View Post
I always thought this one got too harsh a treatment as well, and I also have been a mild supporter of it from the beginning. I like it's massing and overall size especially in the context of it's neighborhood. I do agree that cutting out some of the detailing( those widows needed that trim) has tarnished its overall appeal. Waiting on that crown, and the lantern when lit up.
Exactly my case.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:24 AM

I've always been a fan of the massing for this tower. The materials and finishes? Meh, well see how it all comes together. But so far, not bad. I've seen worse.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:40 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthiswealth View Post
Maybe insulting people isn't the best way to go about things, but I agree with what he's getting at. I've never seen so much bitching and moaning in my life than on these forums, only to have people do a 180 all the time. It's weird. One of the reasons I never post.
Honestly, its a lot easier for people to save face and stick to their opinion, even after the reality has changed, than to admit they were wrong and have an about face. People and opinions change. Chastising people for growing from an initial perspective isn't all that productive.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
I've seen worse.
That should be in Related's marketing brochure.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:45 PM
Midtowner since 2K

The details on this remind me a shorter tower in Toronto that recently went up. It also lacks details on the windows and such, but looks just about the same architecturally, albeit a different form. Hopefully the crown goes well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:09 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

I was in the camp that initially liked this project but the bronze window detailing was a vital component of this project turning out well. If the crown doesn't turn out well, this will be a total bust.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I was in the camp that initially liked this project but the bronze window detailing was a vital component of this project turning out well. If the crown doesn't turn out well, this will be a total bust.
The flourishes of finite decorative elements like the panels would have not helped the design - which is fine. Those kinds of things help buildings that are attempting to blend in with an adjoining historical landscape but thats not the case here.

I like the more stripped down look which helps the visual cohesiveness of the building with its neighbors as a group.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
The details on this remind me a shorter tower in Toronto that recently went up. It also lacks details on the windows and such, but looks just about the same architecturally, albeit a different form. Hopefully the crown goes well.
Are you referring to The Uptown? I think if you compared the two projects directly differences would be more apparent.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:54 AM

OBP on the Dan Ryan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive