HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2004, 7:16 PM

that's the transbay plan we've all been raving about, joel. it's redevelopment, mostly of the old embarcadero freeway ROW, to fund the new transbay terminal (long, low bldg in white at center), it's been surprisingly well-received, and as redevelopment it's more or less exempt from the usual process anyway - so it's going to happen. the only real open question is the height of the landmark tower in front of the terminal. the plan made the case for a tower roughly as tall as transamerica (853ft) to provide a focal point for the new, south-of-market skyline. in that rendering, tho, it's closer to the existing height limit of 550ft.

might also mention that just below that is rincon hill, where the planning dept is pushing a half-dozen highrises up to 550ft. that plan's reception has been more mixed, but a quartet of 400 and 350ft towers was just approved, so SF is going to get a number of decent-sized (anyway) new towers in SOMA over the coming years.

tekno, it's a lowrise hotel.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2004, 7:22 PM

at top is a model of the combined transbay and rincon plans (new bldgs in white).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoTurd
Has anyone driven by Mission and Embarcadero lately? There's a pretty big crane there and some consturction going on, but I can't say I've heard anything about a project in that area. Any ideas?
Here's a pictures of the low-rise, 7 story hotel being constructed at Embarcadero and Mission:

In addition to hotel rooms and loft spaces, it'll include a restaurant and Market Street Railway historic trolley store.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 7:18 AM

Cool, I like the brick. Those lofts facing East will have some really cool views of the bridge and the island.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church
that's the transbay plan we've all been raving about, joel. it's redevelopment, mostly of the old embarcadero freeway ROW, to fund the new transbay terminal (long, low bldg in white at center), it's been surprisingly well-received, and as redevelopment it's more or less exempt from the usual process anyway - so it's going to happen. the only real open question is the height of the landmark tower in front of the terminal. the plan made the case for a tower roughly as tall as transamerica (853ft) to provide a focal point for the new, south-of-market skyline. in that rendering, tho, it's closer to the existing height limit of 550ft.

might also mention that just below that is rincon hill, where the planning dept is pushing a half-dozen highrises up to 550ft. that plan's reception has been more mixed, but a quartet of 400 and 350ft towers was just approved, so SF is going to get a number of decent-sized (anyway) new towers in SOMA over the coming years.

tekno, it's a lowrise hotel.
Yeah, I know its nothing new but I personally hadn't seen that render before so I thought I'd post it. SoMa desperately needs a peak to its skyline and I think that render really shows why that's the place for it.

To me, what's shocking about this whole development is that lack of any serious local opposition. Although, if I were a planner I'd try to get that under-construction before too many apartments get occupied in the area.

Has the SF office market picked-up at all? Its still somewhat soft here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 5:26 PM

it's still soft here as well. last i heard around 20%.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 9:50 PM

Well, at least the residential is still fairly strong. I just hope our CBD's don't get too big an influx in NIMBY's or we'll end up having to build any new office space out in the 'burbs.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 10:22 PM

manhattan office construction seems to be picking up, if anything.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 11:51 PM

Well, Bank of America is the big news here. Pretty much, everything else had been in the pipeline for years, long before things went soft.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 1:27 AM

yeah, that's some pipeline tho.

this has probably come up in the WTC board, but if you don't mind my asking, just quickly: is there any concern that the new WTC will flood the office market? or conversely, will it improve downtown's position relative to jersey city, et al.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 1:37 AM

The only people that seem to be worried that it'll flood the market are other real estate developers. Personally, I don't think its a competitor to midtown, more likely Jersey City and Brooklyn. In any case it'll becoming on line between 2008-2012 and that's if all goes to plan. NY can easily absorb 1.5 million sq. ft. a year.

It might even be nice if rents were a bit cheaper (guess who's complaining that might happen) and NY could attract some new business.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 6:28 AM

Speaking of office growth, I'm curious to see where San Francisco plans to add office space once the economy rebounds in 5 years. The FiDi is all built out, and the areas south of Market like Transbay and Rincon Hill are going to be filled with residential towers. I wonder if Civic Center and Van Ness/ Market are going to be used as a secondary CBD.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 6:35 AM

415 remember there is alot of office space that was supposed to be built at Mission Bay. It still needs to be built and it is approved already so any office space will probably be built there or @ 555 mission

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 6:59 AM

I have a feeling that 555 Mission's entitlements will be pulled before its built. A residential or mixed use tower will probably go in its place. Although 555 Mission Street was a dignified design, it only reached 482'. If you look at the height limits for the area, the site is zoned for 550' (or as J Church has pointed out, 700+' with crowns and setbacks).

On a side note here, the entitlements for 535 Mission Street have been pulled, and a new residential proposal is in the works.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 7:04 AM

What is 535 mission zoned for?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 7:09 AM

535 Mission is zoned for 550'. It basically sits right next to 555 Mission Street.

Here's a rendering if you forgot what it looked like:

At 24 floors, it was probably somewhere between 300' and 350'.

BTW I also updated the first page.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 6:19 PM

On a side note here, the entitlements for 535 Mission Street have been pulled, and a new residential proposal is in the works.

where'd you get that, tony?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 6:22 PM
Proud upstanding member

Didnt they just get planning approval to operate a surface lot of the site for the next year?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2004, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Speaking of office growth, I'm curious to see where San Francisco plans to add office space once the economy rebounds in 5 years. The FiDi is all built out, and the areas south of Market like Transbay and Rincon Hill are going to be filled with residential towers. I wonder if Civic Center and Van Ness/ Market are going to be used as a secondary CBD.
I was totally thinking about this the other day, but then I saw the post from J Church about how high office vacancy was I decided that the demand SF office high rises weren't in high demand. But in the future it seems pretty fair to assume that Civic Center and Van Ness will be the next areas to grow, but won't they face much stricter height and bulk requirements up there than in the FiDi?

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2004, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church

where'd you get that, tony?
working for the Planning Department has its perks...

as for any potential towers at Market/ Van Ness, I can easily see the Planning Department arguing for a 450'-500' tower at one of the corners of Market/ Van Ness. A landmark tower should anchor that important innersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations