HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Larga Baffin [1452-1470 Hunt Club Rd] | 22m | 6f | Proposed

Larga Baffin Ltd, intends to redevelop the lands at 1452-1470 Hunt Club Road and 1525-1545 Sieveright Avenue with a six (6) storey, mid-rise residential care facility on the northern portion of the site fronting Hunt Club Road. The remainder of the site is to be redeveloped at a later date, as shown on the submitted conceptual site plan showing the ultimate use of the land.

The proposed residential care facility is to be owned and operated by Larga Baffin Ltd., an organization that provides temporary accommodations for residents of Baffin Island seeking medical care in the City of Ottawa. The facility includes 220 temporary dwelling/rooming units containing a total of 350 beds, various communal areas and medical support services for clients requiring specialized medical care. The accommodations include private, standard, double, and family-style rooms. The preliminary Site Plan includes soft landscaping at the front and rear of the property, a secure bike parking room for 70 bikes, 80 underground parking stalls, 13 at-grade parking stalls and 2,382 square metres of common amenity/service areas including communal activity rooms, dining areas and gathering spaces. The proposed development also includes a children’s outdoor play area located in between the northern wings of the building, fronting Hunt Club Road.

Architect: DTAH Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0122/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 2:03 PM

Not an architectural masterpiece, but as someone who lives in the area, I'm excited to see this.

The area between Hunt Club, Bank and Sieveright is vastly underutilized. On this site, I'm really hoping for a good pedestrian/cycling connection bewteen Sieveright and Hunt Club.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post
Not an architectural masterpiece, but as someone who lives in the area, I'm excited to see this.

The area between Hunt Club, Bank and Sieveright is vastly underutilized. On this site, I'm really hoping for a good pedestrian/cycling connection bewteen Sieveright and Hunt Club.
People on Issam Private won't be thrilled. But then again they want to live in this.

https://goo.gl/maps/2Lm9YNhFmdHdCRCo9

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
People on Issam Private won't be thrilled. But then again they want to live in this.

Lol. That house was up for sale recently. Not my cup of tea, but the inside is pretty awesome.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

looks horrible from hunt club but actually a really nicely designed space with a central courtyard. Takes advantage of Southern exposure. Not sure why anyone would pay $1.8M for it though as there is constant noise, vibration and dirt from Hunt Club. I would imagine it's rented out for short terms.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 2:57 PM

I like the design. Looks like a mid-century hospital with a modern addition in the middle. Not sure about the location though, as it's pretty far from the hospitals.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:31 PM

I think they have a shuttle that takes the residents wherever they need to go. I've been cut-off by it many a time on the 417

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New 220-room Larga Baffin residence proposed for Upper Hunt Club
"From Day 1, Larga has been growing. We're exceeding our ability to provide accommodation to our clients who come from Nunavut."

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Dec 09, 2021 • 10 hours ago • 3 minute read

Larga Baffin, the home away from home for hundreds of Inuit visiting Ottawa for medical care, is planning a move to a new, 220-room complex to be built in Upper Hunt Club.

The corporation has submitted a development application to the city for a 1.9-hectare site on Hunt Club Road at Sieveright Avenue, just east of Bank Street. The six-story structure could house as many as 350 people in four wings off a central core. The complex would both surface and underground parking.

Larga Baffin has been operating in Ottawa since 2000, first in two houses on Russell Road before moving to larger building on Richmond Road in 2009. Since 2015, it has been housed in a former seniors’ residence at the intersection of Carling Avenue and Richmond Road. The current building has 103 rooms and can house 195 people, but is still overflowing, Larga Baffin president Malaya Zehr said.

“From Day 1, Larga has been growing,” Zehr said. “We’re exceeding our ability to provide accommodation to our clients who come from Nunavut. We’re having to put clients into hotels because we just don’t have room. And the demand for services isn’t slowing down.”

Clients come from all over the Arctic to Ottawa to receive specialized medical care that’s not available in the North.

“Some may be here for cancer treatment, or for the Heart Institute or for specialized doctors appointments in Ottawa,” Zehr said. “They might be here for a couple of days, a couple of weeks, a few months or even up to a year.”

The development application was submitted by Fotenn Planning and Larga Baffin, which is itself 100-per cent Inuit-owned by the Nunasi and Qikiqtaaluk corporations.

Residents in the Upper Hunt Club say they were caught off-guard by the proposal and have started a petition in protest, citing increased traffic, noise and pollution concerns, as well as worries about community safety.

“I live 80 metres away. It will impact me in a massive way,” Sarah Rahme said. Rahme and her husband and their newborn baby moved into the community four months ago. They learned about the Larga Baffin project from a neighbour.

“We were horrified that the city did not bother consulting us,” Rahme said. “This is a massive 350-bed hospital project. What do you think is going to be the impact on our small, family-friendly community in terms of safety? Of security? Of overwhelming traffic?

“This project is completely incongruent with an insulated community like Upper Hunt Club (which is) made up of detached single houses. We spent our life savings to be able to afford this house in an environment that we thought would be suitable to raise our children.”

Among the concerns is the limited green space in the area, especially for Inuit in need of nature and healing. Rahme says she isn’t worried about those who criticize the opposition as NIMBYism.

“They can say what they want. This isn’t about who is going to be living there. It’s about the number of people who will be living there.”

Gloucester-Southgate Ward Coun. Diane Deans says she’s heard from residents, both those who oppose the development and those who say it will have a positive impact on the community. Deans said she would host a public information session about the proposal in January.

Zehr said Larga Baffin worked hard to forge a good relationship with its current west-end community and had help from Ottawa police to ensure safety and security for clients, staff and neighbours.

“Our doors are open to have that engagement. We’re not here to invade their space. We’re here to provide service for our clients who are coming from the North for medical service,” she said.

“We want people to understand where they’re coming from, that they’re coming thousands and thousands of miles from their homes. But at the same time we want to engage with the community around here. We want them to understand our culture.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...pper-hunt-club

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:02 PM

Sigh.

I live in the neighbourhood as well and I think these "concerns" are ridiculous. I received their flyer in my mailbox on the weekend and promptly tossed it into the recycling.

I welcome this project and I look at it as a big opportunity to improve pedestrian connections between Hunt Club and Sieveright.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
“I live 80 metres away. It will impact me in a massive way,” Sarah Rahme said. Rahme and her husband and their newborn baby moved into the community four months ago. They learned about the Larga Baffin project from a neighbour.

“We were horrified that the city did not bother consulting us,” Rahme said. “This is a massive 350-bed hospital project. What do you think is going to be the impact on our small, family-friendly community in terms of safety? Of security? Of overwhelming traffic?

“This project is completely incongruent with an insulated community like Upper Hunt Club (which is) made up of detached single houses. We spent our life savings to be able to afford this house in an environment that we thought would be suitable to raise our children.”
You bought a house on what's basically a highway. What did you expect? Can't feel bad for these people.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 9:50 PM

I think the initiative, the density, and the location are great. The only thing better would be to enhance the existing Larga Baffin house location so they're closer together. Maybe even in the new and improved Lincoln Fields Shopping plaza residential area?

The following is all trolling sarcasm:

How dare they replace mafia hideout warehouses and chop shops with a hospital complex for *checks notes* Inuit people! Think of the added pollution of a LEED rated building compared to my small, neighbourhood, family owned chop shops!

I moved down to the bridle path to have *checks notes* *hesitates* *glances at Somali lady walking by* 'LESS' diversity surrounding my insular family in our expensive home that BIPOC people shouldn't can't afford!

Lol, has Sarah walked around her neighbourhood lately, like seriously? Thinly veiled racism hidden behind 'overwhelming traffic' *eye roll* for an institution that is majority bus-based traffic entering from Hunt Club is simply ridiculous.

Lets just be honest. She just doesn't want to have to look at Inuit patients walk down the street behind her house and over a fence, while they are in town for their medical appointments.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:02 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I think the initiative, the density, and the location are great. The only thing better would be to enhance the existing Larga Baffin house location so they're closer together. Maybe even in the new and improved Lincoln Fields Shopping plaza residential area?

The following is all trolling sarcasm:

How dare they replace mafia hideout warehouses and chop shops with a hospital complex for *checks notes* Inuit people! Think of the added pollution of a LEED rated building compared to my small, neighbourhood, family owned chop shops!

I moved down to the bridle path to have *checks notes* *hesitates* *glances at Somali lady walking by* 'LESS' diversity surrounding my insular family in our expensive home that BIPOC people shouldn't can't afford!

Lol, has Sarah walked around her neighbourhood lately, like seriously? Thinly veiled racism hidden behind 'overwhelming traffic' *eye roll* for an institution that is majority bus-based traffic entering from Hunt Club is simply ridiculous.

Lets just be honest. She just doesn't want to have to look at Inuit patients walk down the street behind her house and over a fence, while they are in town for their medical appointments.
This forum needs upvotes.

Slightly off topic but so far I am by no means sold on Lincoln fields... ah.. stand alone Wendys sitting all by itself in a sea of asphalt? CHECK... yet another standalone Rexall surrounded by a sea of asphalt? CHECK...

A stand alone Metro located as close as possible to the transit station with no direct connection surrounded by a sea of asphalt? CHECK

don't kid yourself folks.. just move to Thailand instead. At least that Cluster EFF of everything has a soul.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:58 PM

Citizen and Sun are both pushing the Postmedia line. So, cloaked-racism NIMBY arguments can expect not to be immediately shown the door by editorial, I suspect.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Facing concerns, Larga Baffin ready to take more time on plan for new medical boarding facility
The proposed facility in Upper Hunt Club would be a new temporary southern home for Inuit receiving local medical services and a major upgrade from Larga's current 195-capacity facility on Richmond Road.

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jan 25, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 2 minute read

Larga Baffin has agreed to hit pause, temporarily, on its application to develop a new boarding facility in Upper Hunt Club for residents of Nunavut who come south for medical care after concerns were raised about the project.

Last year, some neighbours started a petition in protest of the corporation’s plan to build a six-storey residence for up to 350 people on land near Hunt Club and Albion roads. They cited concerns about increased traffic, noise and pollution, plus worries about community safety.

The proposed facility would be a new temporary southern home for Inuit receiving local medical services and a major upgrade from Larga’s current facility. Located on Richmond Road, it accommodates 195 people and still can’t keep up with demand, company president Malaya Zehr said in December.

Following the news last week that a Jan. 26 public meeting on the project had been cancelled, Zehr said via email that Larga Baffin was taking time “to develop a proper communication strategy around the expansion and to provide facts.”

Requests for additional comment were passed on to Bill McCurdy, principal at Creva Group Ltd., a Toronto firm providing project management support to Larga Baffin on the development. McCurdy said they were informed by the City of Ottawa last week “that it received comments from a number of sources regarding our application,” and they had agreed to request a pause to give the city time to pull together and pass along the comments “so we can respond appropriately.”

He declined to comment further at this time.

Larga is applying for an official plan and zoning bylaw amendment, on which Ontario’s Planning Act sets out timelines for municipal decisions.

A Monday letter sent by their lawyer to the city said Larga was prepared to pause these applications on a temporary basis pending “r eceipt and consideration” of comments from the community, others given the opportunity to weigh in during the planning process and “c omments from the community and social services department (which we understand to exist).”

The comments were requested by Jan. 28.

On Friday, Gloucester-Southgate Coun. Diane Deans said she’d heard from the social services department that “they believe there’s a need for more wraparound supports to assist the people that are critically ill and here for medically necessary procedures.”

In a notice on her website, ahead of the planned public meeting, Deans wrote she had heard from “many residents already and understand that there are significant issues with this proposal including traffic, density, and height concerns, as well as lack of green space.”

For example, Deans said, there’s currently a single park serving the community’s 450 homes.

“I don’t believe this is about NIMBYism,” she said, when asked about this characterization of objections to the project.

“It’s about the model and it’s about getting the model right. And I believe, as long as we do that, that Larga Baffin will be welcomed into the community and will work well and (there) will be a culturally beneficial relationship between the host community and the residents of Nunavut who are visiting Ottawa for critical health care.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rding-facility

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:59 PM

“I don’t believe this is about NIMBYism,”

My bullcrap meter just went off the charts. Traffic, density, park space, and height? Give me a break! Let's be 100% honest. Local residents don't want "poor, sick, indigenous people" from up North around their precious vinyl siding single family home subdivision. There is a large park literally across the street. These residents will not have private cars coming and going creating traffic, and 6 storeys is not a lot of height or density. Diane Deans takes a big L for this one.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post

My bullcrap meter just went off the charts. Traffic, density, park space, and height? Give me a break! Let's be 100% honest. Local residents don't want "poor, sick, indigenous people" from up North around their precious vinyl siding single family home subdivision. There is a large park literally across the street. These residents will not have private cars coming and going creating traffic, and 6 storeys is not a lot of height or density. Diane Deans takes a big L for this one.
Its Election year so the Power of the NIMBYs is at an all time high with the councillors running for re-election or running for mayor like Ms.Deans over here

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:19 PM

Apparently, Deans can't count. There are two parks in the neighbourhood, and a forest full of trails.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post

Local residents don't want "poor, sick, indigenous people" from up North around their precious vinyl siding single family home subdivision. .
https://goo.gl/maps/LpTKxpDpeUwxJh2B6

https://goo.gl/maps/yio1huUXu1EsC5hRA

or this architectural gem ?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Larga Baffin re-activates development proposal for Blossom Park

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Mar 18, 2022 • 3 hours ago • 1 minute read

Larga Baffin has re-activated its application to build a residential care facility in Blossom Park.

The development team for the proposed six-storey, 350-bed facility at 1452-1470 Hunt Club Rd., with property backing onto Sieveright Avenue, hopes to have the official plan and zoning amendment applications up for political approval this spring.

Larga Baffin provides boarding accommodations to Nunavut residents travelling to Ottawa for medical treatments. The organization has outgrown its current facility on Richmond Road at Carling Avenue.

Ottawa is the main health referral centre for Nunavut’s Qikiqtaaluk region.

The proposed X-shaped facility would front onto Hunt Club Road.

Larga Baffin agreed to pause its development application in January after hearing concerns about the proposed facility from the community in which it plans to build.

Bill McCurdy, a principal with Creva Group, the real estate advisor working with Larga Baffin, said the project team responded to community issues before asking on March 11 for an end to the pause on the development application.

“We are looking forward to advancing the process, including a meeting with the Hunt Club Road community, at the earliest possible date,” McCurdy said.

However, it’s unclear if anything in the proposal has changed over the past two months.

Gloucester-Southgate Coun. Diane Deans’s office confirmed there have been no substantive changes to the Larga Baffin proposal. The councillor has heard concerns from constituents over density and the height of the building, along with traffic and access to green space.

Deans is planning to hold a community meeting about the proposal in mid-April.

Larga Baffin hopes to get the development application in front of planning committee in May or June.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...r-blossom-park

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:00 AM
National Capital Region

Community meeting sounds like a gong show
https://twitter.com/DeanTester/statu...TVt53F4Xw&s=19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa