HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:10 PM

I never heard/seen that Colori store before. Looks like they are a clothing brand with all Made in Canada products and that this will be their first location outside of Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Sears is expected to become Canadian department store Simons. This will take up all three levels at over 100,000 sqft.
Oh right, I forgot about that. Simons would be great!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:40 PM

The Levi's Store is now open.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:50 PM

Halifax Shopping Centre Annual Pedestrian Count: 10,000,000

Source:https://www.retailcouncil.org/sites/...CS_2_FINAL.pdf

Atlantic Canada Sales Productivity (per sq ft):

Halifax Shopping Centre $822 (Latest Numbers)
Avalon Mall $699
Mic Mac Mall $621 (Nov 2017)
Champlain Place $602 (Latest numbers)
Regent Mall $572
McAllister Place $464
Mayflower Mall ?
Charlottetown Mall ?

Last edited by q12; Dec 30, 2017 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:16 PM

The Sears department store that is closing is actually 3 floors @ 160,000 sqft.

I wonder if Simons moves in they will only want 2 floors @ 107,000 sqft. as this is the average size of their department stores.

I could only see a Nordstrom taking up all 3 floors @ 160,000 sqft.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:42 PM
life in the present

Quote:

I wonder if Simons moves in they will only want 2 floors @ 107,000 sqft. as this is the average size of their department stores.
They will most certainly only take 2 floors, most of their newer stores, like the one here at Park Royal, are two-floor formats. Women's and home on main level and men's and cafe on upper level. As they don't carry cosmetics, 2-floors is more than ample for their amazing selection of clothing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:

I could only see a Nordstrom taking up all 3 floors @ 160,000 sqft.
They would need to do something about the elevator and escalators if they only take 2 floors. Escalator is probably easier to deal with. I hope they keep that retro 1963-vintage elevator which really has not changed since Eaton's first opened in that space.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 4:07 PM

Work is ramping up at the former Eaton's site. A portable tower crane has been installed and was being tested today. Some of the parking area is reserved for materials, and staging is setup for roof access.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:33 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What is going to be done here?

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 10:37 PM

La Maison Simons Opens at CF Fairview Pointe Claire Near Montreal with Plans for Halifax Store: CEO Interview/Photos

Simons is reinforcing its presence in the Greater Montreal area with the opening of a West Island branch at CF Fairview Pointe Claire.

The retailer said the new 91,000-square-foot location required an investment of $26.5 million and created nearly 200 jobs.

And Retail Insider has learned that Simons has also secured a location in Halifax for future expansion.

Bernard Leblanc, President and CEO of La Maison Simons, said he will be able to discuss the company’s Atlantic Canada presence more in a few months from now.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...erview-photos/

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 11:20 AM

La Maison Simons

La Maison Simons is very exciting news. Since this is in the HSC thread can one assume they are taking space in HSC ?
As one who lives out of the country, is the old Eaton's space still empty?
OR
Is there other locations they might take in Halifax?

Interesting they choose Halifax before several other larger markets - Winnipeg, Hamilton, Kitchener, London

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
La Maison Simons is very exciting news. Since this is in the HSC thread can one assume they are taking space in HSC ?
As one who lives out of the country, is the old Eaton's space still empty?
OR
Is there other locations they might take in Halifax?

Interesting they choose Halifax before several other larger markets - Winnipeg, Hamilton, Kitchener, London
The only other spot that had been speculated for a possible Simons location was the renovated base of the Maritime Centre, but that ship sailed a long time ago as they are looking for smaller retailers per the last post in the Maritime Centre thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=87

So the HSC would have to be it

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
The only other spot that had been speculated for a possible Simons location was the renovated base of the Maritime Centre, but that ship sailed a long time ago as they are looking for smaller retailers per the last post in the Maritime Centre thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=87

So the HSC would have to be it
I would wonder about modification to the old Mills site to allow a 2 level department store

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:01 PM
Halifax Promoter!

It's probably a moot point, where we'd like to see the store, since it's already decided, but the Mills location would be something to help vitalize the SGR area even more. Halifax doesn't have any major shopping downtown. It needs it.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
It's probably a moot point, where we'd like to see the store, since it's already decided, but the Mills location would be something to help vitalize the SGR area even more. Halifax doesn't have any major shopping downtown. It needs it.
Yes... would be a nice location: harkening back to its days as a department store and not inconsistent with Simons' urban format stores in downtown Montreal and Quebec City. I'm interested to see where it ends up.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Agreed, that would be amazing. It seems like they have a preference for locating in downtowns so one could hope. Either way, I'm excited for Halifax to get a Simons as it's a great store.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I suspect most major retailers want to avoid DT Halifax, just like many customers. If you cannot easily get to or from there, you are unlikely to want to shop there.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect most major retailers want to avoid DT Halifax, just like many customers. If you cannot easily get to or from there, you are unlikely to want to shop there.
Real shame that nobody lives downtown at all.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Real shame that nobody lives downtown at all.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:22 PM

Makes me wonder if Scotia Square has any large retail space that would work. (?)

I know there used to be a Woolco store in there many years ago but for the life of me I can't remember what they did with that space. It's been a long time since I've been in that area of SS.

Back when Scotia Square was built, it was an idea before its time (IMHO), as there weren't as many people living in the area by 1970, largely due to the 'slum clearance' of the 1950s and 1960s and the city's efforts to grow the downtown business district (without added residential). Perhaps ironically, the neighbourhoods that they cleared out might have provided the clientele that the mall needed to be successful. They did, however, build a huge parkade, likely to attract customers who might have been moving through the downtown on the Harbour Drive expressway that never ended up getting built (or to attract suburban/Dartmouth customers who might get there by car or ferry).

With all the new residential buildings downtown, and more to come, one wonders if Scotia Square as a shopping complex might be about to experience a second life? A grocery store as an anchor might be a good place to start, but could a Simons have success there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth