HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:09 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Must be doing something right

With all the bitching and moaning about SLC NEEDS to expand and remodel the airport NOW. I guess they must be doing something right.

From Facebook

Mayor Ralph Becker
SLC lands #3 in Zagats survey of top 5 favorite airports. http://www.aviationnews.net/?do=headline&news_ID=185953

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:22 AM

That's hilarious! Obviously, they're doing a lot of things right. Zagat is one survey that carries a lot of clout.

"Respondents in Zagat's 2010 airline survey again ranked Portland International as their favorite airport based on overall quality, followed by Tampa International, Salt Lake City International, Detroit Wayne County and Denver International"...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:35 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
With all the bitching and moaning about SLC NEEDS to expand and remodel the airport NOW. I guess they must be doing something right.

From Facebook

Mayor Ralph Becker
SLC lands #3 in Zagats survey of top 5 favorite airports. http://www.aviationnews.net/?do=headline&news_ID=185953

I've only had really good experiences there myself and I've easily flown out of that airport 50+ times.

I figure out if my airport experience is "really good" by contrasting them against my miserable Chicago O'Hare Airport experiences.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 12:21 PM

Salt Lake airport ranked among best in nation

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ional.html.csp

Frequent fliers rank Salt Lake City International Airport as the third-best in the nation — behind only airports in Portland, Ore. and Tampa, Fla...

..."It is an efficient hub airport, and almost 50 percent of the traffic here does connect to another flight. So maybe making an efficient connection is in the forefront of people’s minds," Gann said.

"It’s also convenient and accessible" to downtown Salt Lake City, whereas many airports are far from or require expensive commutes to the cities that they serve. Gann adds that the Salt Lake City airport also has high ratings for on-time performance compared to most cities...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:28 PM

I have always enjoyed flying out of SLC International. I have an opportunity to travel for leisure quite a bit and have at least one flight a month. I have rarely had a flight leave late and it's generaly really quick to taxi.

I'm not an expert about the behind-the-scenes work being done at the airport and there might be a lot that I don't know. I'm sure there will come a day when the airport needs to be replaced but personally I think it is functioning really well at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:54 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Here is a pretty helpful video detailing the master plan for the Mountain View Corridor.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:31 PM

Reversible lanes will ease 5400 South congestion

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ongestion.html

TAYLORSVILLE — Help is on the way for commuters on a congested east-west artery in Salt Lake County — but they'll have to wait longer than originally planned.

Commuters who drive on 5400 South in Taylorsville can see progress in the so-called flex lanes project. But the delayed spring opening of the project caused by conflicts with utilities has actually been a benefit.

"In the meantime, we were able to utilize the latest technology to control the flex lane system," Kable says. "We feel it's going to be a benefit to the community."

The main benefit will be rush-hour relief on the heavily traveled four-lane road. On weekday mornings, eastbound traffic on 5400 South bottles up between Redwood Road and Bangerter Highway. In the evening, it's a westbound traffic jam. Nearly 40,000 cars travel that two-mile stretch daily...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:03 PM

You guys should see the wonders these streets do when the power goes out. 54 exit of the highway was crazy a few weeks ago with the snow storm. its crazy to see what happens when the power fails

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I can see a whole heck of a lot more head on collisions once the flex lanes open. The way Utahans drive I can see ( when these lights change ) cars crashing into each other when say cars heading east having to move over a lane to make way for the west traffic or vise versa and maybe a few cars won't get out of the way in time.
I'm calling it now. There's going to be a lot of car crashes on 5400 South while people are getting use to this.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I can see a whole heck of a lot more head on collisions once the flex lanes open. The way Utahans drive I can see ( when these lights change ) cars crashing into each other when say cars heading east having to move over a lane to make way for the west traffic or vise versa and maybe a few cars won't get out of the way in time.
I'm calling it now. There's going to be a lot of car crashes on 5400 South while people are getting use to this.
Perhaps at first, but these things, if implemented well, are pretty safe and I would doubt you will see many problems. I guess only time will tell. I hope they do these flex lanes on foothill from I-80 to Sunnyside Avenue. That is a nightmare during rush hour.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 5:53 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It's not as if they suddenly switch from having four lanes one direction to four lanes the other direction. Plus I'm sure it is coordinated that the direction loosing a lane probably changes signals first rather than an instantaneous switch over.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 5:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

On another note. A Portland Street car will be on display on Gallivan Ave today, showing what our car may look like as well as displaying maps of potential street car alignments throughout Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 7:46 PM
Lurker

Great! maybe I'll go down there with my camera!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
On another note. A Portland Street car will be on display on Gallivan Ave today, showing what our car may look like as well as displaying maps of potential street car alignments throughout Salt Lake City.
Cool!! It's just for one day, though?? I like the portion going through the CBD on 2nd south conecting Gateway to the CBD. I hope they extend it Eastward up to 13th East.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 9:31 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

The cars are pretty nice. These aren't the cars we will be getting, initially, for the Sugarhouse line. The company that produces these is based in Portland and they are just taking them around to a few cities in the country showing what American made transit vehicles look like. The cars are currently 70% American made, and with a new propulsion system that this exact car will be getting they will be 90% American made. This actual car will return to Portland and be used in its Street Car system.

The cars are more nimble than light rail, allow for better movement through traffic and tighter turns, they articulate in two spots. The middle section is platform height on entry and the the ends have three stairs at the entry(like trax).

I should have taken a couple of shots inside. Sorry!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:22 PM
Lurker

I was just downtown as well. The visibility is insane right now, even up at the University of Utah!

Gallivan Center ice skating!

University of Utah visibility

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 11:10 PM

Would these cars work well with the current TRAX maintenance facilities, without major upgrades?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I love that angle. And as I was staring at this scene I starting thinking about how much better the plaza would be if it had a large scale sculpture by Richard Serra.

Oh, and the street car is really cool too!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

Video Link

http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...etcar.fortune/

I hope these guys do well.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
And as I was staring at this scene I starting thinking about how much better the plaza would be if it had a large scale sculpture by Richard Serra.
What, you don't like the floating rock?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West