HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:09 AM

Yes, it’s been discussed on here numerous times.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:14 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Recent article in McLean's on the P & M debate:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...-intersection/

I'm not a huge fan of the magazine's form of journalism, but they point out something that I haven't heard referred to much by local media...the fact that the corner will need $4 Million worth of repairs even if it isn't opened up. Don't know how accurate their numbers are, but I would have liked to have seen this little fact reported locally, along with things like impacts on commute times, etc. Have other heard of this?
Yes I've heard of it, it's frequently brought up by the "open" side. But I'm very much an active consumer of the "open" campaign rather than passive, and don't really consume any local media.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:24 AM

It’s unlikely “keep closed” would talk about it because it ruins their argument. Been mentioned on here and in the media.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
No matter what happens they should up the Portage Ave East crossing. It's not uncommon to see a dozen people cross at a time twenty feet over from the intersection anyways. There is constant jay-walkers on Portage Ave East, which is fine by me. We could get Ditech International in there with a rope saw and cut a barrier down in a day. Done.
My roommate and I jaywalk Portage East every day (when I grab a ride from him). Park near earls and walk to the Exchange – not a chance in hell I'm walking to westbrook, and why should I add 5 minutes to my commute to go underground, when motorists are complaining about 20–50 seconds. Add that to the fact the stair in front of BMO are literally crumbling, I don't even know how they haven't been shut down as a public safety concern.

I always wait to make sure it's safe to cross, don't try and dodge traffic. I have been honked at once and yelled at twice, to which my response has always been "VOTE OPEN!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Recent article in McLean's on the P & M debate:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...-intersection/

I'm not a huge fan of the magazine's form of journalism, but they point out something that I haven't heard referred to much by local media...the fact that the corner will need $4 Million worth of repairs even if it isn't opened up. Don't know how accurate their numbers are, but I would have liked to have seen this little fact reported locally, along with things like impacts on commute times, etc. Have other heard of this?
$4 million is thought to be on the low end. It's like when Foktaluk tried to make a big deal about the $2m in road repairs marked for P&M as if it as some sort of hidden agenda scheme. Like no you idiot, the intersection is literally falling apart.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It’s unlikely “keep closed” would talk about it because it ruins their argument. Been mentioned on here and in the media.
You sound bitter. Did a customer at your Starbucks job upset you?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Part of me thinks that Bowman is going to go all-in on opening P&M soon as the election is over, regardless of plebiscite. Realistically, not many mayors may want to serve more than 8 years, so he might not have much to lose if he really believes in it and wins again.
Unless I am misreading the P&M situation there is more than just Bowman's political career on the line as the final outcome will need backing from council. Also while Bowman has publicly put a end date on his time of mayor it seemed pretty clear the subtext was that he would be moving on to politics at higher levels after that time. Much like lots of council has eyes on a long terms career in politics.

--

Back to the whole 300/360 Main project, from the mall level it seems work has started on the connecting building. Based on the progress on the tower it seems like it is likely a year or more behind the tower but I think the tower also needed a lot of front end work to beef up the support columns and deal with the ventilation needs of the food court merchants.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:50 PM

Didn’t council already vote like 10-5 on opening it? We will have a lot of council turnover which will play a big part, but so far, anecdotally, seems like “progressive” candidates seem to be getting the most attention. Pakhtaghan has been campaigning hard with someone vying for his seat.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:43 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Didn’t council already vote like 10-5 on opening it? We will have a lot of council turnover which will play a big part, but so far, anecdotally, seems like “progressive” candidates seem to be getting the most attention. Pakhtaghan has been campaigning hard with someone vying for his seat.
Sharma has been campaigning hard by redoing the sidewalks in my neighbourhood, but not the side street that I live on, since it's full of potholes and half-assed patch jobs.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Can we please talk about Portage and Main opening in the Portage and Main Opening thread. Every day when I see a new post in the 300 Main thread I get excited for construction pictures......then......frowny face.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:57 PM

Hey Biff, it's all the rage these days. WAG Inuit gallery is the Churchill thread for example.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:13 PM

Last weekend looks like they more permanently completed the ceiling covering the old sky lights in the concourse. Installed proper lighting, painted the ceiling etc.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Can we please talk about Portage and Main opening in the Portage and Main Opening thread. Every day when I see a new post in the 300 Main thread I get excited for construction pictures......then......frowny face.
I could take another photo but there is no visible progression in the last two weeks. Work has come to a halt on the elevator cores. There's a few guys out there this morning working again on the original piles that were uncapped this summer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Last weekend looks like they more permanently completed the ceiling covering the old sky lights in the concourse. Installed proper lighting, painted the ceiling etc.
They put in a quite elaborate fire sprinkler system too... Still hoping it's temporary for the next couple years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:05 PM
Back from the dead

Great plan.
Lately the mods seem to have been taking a break and people are just using any thread they want to discuss things that clearly belong in other threads.

I don't give a shit about opening Portage and Main. If I did then maybe I'd be talking about it in the thread dedicated to talking about opening Portage and Main.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Great plan.
Lately the mods seem to have been taking a break and people are just using any thread they want to discuss things that clearly belong in other threads.

I don't give a shit about opening Portage and Main. If I did then maybe I'd be talking about it in the thread dedicated to talking about opening Portage and Main.
Isn't Cyro the Manitoba mod and hasn't been here since July of 2017.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:19 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I thought I saw him recently. I gues you're right that his lack of presence here is quite... concerning.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:50 PM

Seemed like there was some kind of issue last we heard from Cyro. Hoping everything is alright..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:00 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^Yes I recall that too. I as well hope everything is Ok.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think the only MOD we have left is 1 ajs, and we all know what kind of job he does as a mod.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:56 PM

You'd think this is Parliament or something. It's an online forum where people talk about stuff. Oh no, someone talked about something that is partially relevant to this thread. Not that big of a deal. Then the personal insults begin..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan