HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:08 AM
Heart of the Continent

It's already getting there. This will only add to it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:28 AM
BANNED

No it's not or you would see many more businesses opening up.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:32 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
No it's not or you would see many more businesses opening up.
There aren't exactly a lot of places to open up right there - but there are an abundance or restaurants along with quite a few small services and shops along Water Front.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Abundance? No. There is plenty of space, but it is not retail because there is not enough demand. I think we are 10 years away from referring to this area as vibrant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:39 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Abundance? No. There is plenty of space, but it is not retail because there is not enough demand. I think we are 10 years away from referring to this area as vibrant.
Winnipeg is still a car city. Even wit ha population that has exploded in that area (in relative terms) you're not going to see a lot of large retail in that area. I'm actually surprised there isn't yet a corner store - that should come soon.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:39 AM
Heart of the Continent

And yeah, an abundance of restaurants for such a small area. I've gone to most of them.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Our definitions of abundance differs.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:54 AM
BANNED

The issue is a lack of AFFORDABLE new retail and housing. There are tons of people who want to live and contribute to the community but can't afford it. Powers that be have decided it's the new it place so now a bunch of investors are just waiting to cash in. I looked at the 98 market website and you have to pay $50, non refundable, to apply for a suite. Never heard of that.

I guarantee if all the recent developments were affordable housing and retail the area would be way more active and alive. Gentrification is going to kill the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Wow, that is absurd.

I agree: affordable housing should be a part of future plans for the area. I also think developments need to be built higher, as available land in the immediate area is becoming limited.

I would love to see a few 15 story towers replace this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.90170...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
If you were there during the alley market (held in the above space I believe) you would have a sense of the vibrancy of the area. It's not perfect, but there is a lot going on in a small area.

Based on the crowd at the market, I think there is a lot of interest in the area from young hipster-types who are likely priced out of the condo market as it is now. Older, upper income condo residents are not as likely to contribute to the vibrancy of the street life in the area - particularly at night. I think more affordable rental housing in the area would be a shot in arm to the east Exchange. I hope 98 Market will be more affordable for younger folks with a modest income.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:12 AM

The key to this area becoming vibrant is density, I think it is currently on the right track. The area is vibrant in Winnipeg terms but I suspect it won't really be consistently vibrant (everyday, not just for events/festivals like alley markets and jazz fest) for a good number of years.

I think that there is considerable interest in the area from the younger generation. I'm speculating at this point but i think from talking to my peers in law school that once future batches of students currently in professional schools graduate and get jobs that the exchange will see decent population growth year after year. Imo a good influx of young professionals will make this area more desirable for businesses to hopefully open storefront retail spaces and increase vibrancy. I think that the area is punching above its weight in terms of dining, but not doing good enough in terms of retail and services.

To touch on affordable units, I think that the city does have to be careful about this. I'm looking deep into the future at this point but I don't want a scenario where artists are completely priced out of the area. I think they really make the area cool and interesting.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:18 AM
Heart of the Continent

Honestly, there are people out walking around in that area every night well into the evening, including families with children.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:54 AM

I love seeing families and children in the exchange, I think it is a great sign. I think the area is growing exponentially. As the area gets denser and the population gets bigger the rate of growth should increase. The more people in the area with well paying jobs should make the area more attractive to retailers and businesses, which in turn should create even more interest in the area. Think of a J shaped graph.

I think the exchange is on this track which is great, I just want to see the process accelerated... a lot.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 7:30 AM
Heart of the Continent

I think we all want the same thing - I just tire of the constant glass half empty stuff that Winnipegers are so famous for. There is a lot of progress to be proud of.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yep allot of change has happend people forget how dead it once was

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Also the timing of the original plan would have also been when the CancerCare expansion was still on the books and before the shuffle of services at WRHA sites hit. The fully impact of the current plans has yet to really be determined.
Don't be fooled. CancerCare is still on. They are just trying to find new funding models. It might take a bit longer but my bet is it will be built within the next 5 years.

...also, the amount of parkades in and around HSC is impressive but we have to remember that over 22,000 people work there + all of the patients and families amount to a lot of cars.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I think we all want the same thing - I just tire of the constant glass half empty stuff that Winnipegers are so famous for. There is a lot of progress to be proud of.
That could also be referred to as complacency, and the downtown as a whole cannot afford that.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I'm actually surprised there isn't yet a corner store - that should come soon.
My parents who live in Sky (as do my inlaws and my wife and me-long story) were out for a walk and noticed people working in the centre commercial unit in Sky 2 on Amy. Being the nosy parkers they are, they asked one of the guys working on it what it was going to be. He said it'll be a convenience store.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:14 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'm only partly clairvoyant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan