HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
There is always a risk in the trees, and helmets are a must (what kind of idiot skis or boards without a helmet I don't know). Generally though, I take it pretty slow in the trees, but just like anything, even at a slow pace you can just take a bad turn, fall a bad way and hit yourself in the wrong place.

My heart goes out to the guys family and friends.
I rode without a helmet up until this year, once I started getting into trees and double black runs, figured it was time to switch.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:15 PM

Cazy avalanche conditions out there right now. Major slide by Wawa at Sunshine sunday and 3 in Kicking Horse (1 Terminator and 2 in Feuz, both kicked off by patrol). Be safe out there everyone, ducking ropes may actually be a bad idea right now...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:07 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Cazy avalanche conditions out there right now. Major slide by Wawa at Sunshine sunday and 3 in Kicking Horse (1 Terminator and 2 in Feuz, both kicked off by patrol). Be safe out there everyone, ducking ropes may actually be a bad idea right now...
holy crap!!! Where on Wawa???

I'm out east finisshing off my QC ski trip for the year. Good coverage at Tremblant but mainly mashed potatoes. No avie gear needed. Gotta imagine that people are staying in bounds. Heard about the snowshoers at Louise - too bad.

Like you said, stay safe!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
holy crap!!! Where on Wawa???

I'm out east finisshing off my QC ski trip for the year. Good coverage at Tremblant but mainly mashed potatoes. No avie gear needed. Gotta imagine that people are staying in bounds. Heard about the snowshoers at Louise - too bad.

Like you said, stay safe!!
Was on the big ridge people hike up if you go straight out of bounds. Wasn't in bounds, but came bloody close.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:15 PM
Beer me Captain

Just finished up 3 day good/very good days at Whistler. Lots of new snow but no visibility on Saturday, less new snow but clear skies on Sunday. Many great runs out there, but I think Symphony Amphitheater may be my new favourite cruising zone.

Here's a shot of Blackcomb glacier just before noon. We got first tracks in there at 9 and a couple more before this shot. Nice powder back there ... too bad the legs were dead on Sunday as some of the apline bowls like Ruby looked awesome!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:16 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Was on the big ridge people hike up if you go straight out of bounds. Wasn't in bounds, but came bloody close.
Wow, I guess it's nice that they had that much snow, but still ...

Avie conditions were definitely up at Blackcomb and you could see a number of little slides where cornices had let go. It's that time of the year.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:59 PM

The hills had a pretty damn good February and March, and April has been decent so far as well. Castle had a powder day monday, Sunshine and Louise are still going strong. I may get out again this year but I think it's time to switch to mountain bike mode!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:48 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Can't wait until next year since it looks like Valemount Glacier is a go...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 2:05 AM

It's already April, but snow conditions up on the North Shore Mountains are still amazing. Here's how Cypress Mountain looked like on last Sunday.

The snow was plenty, but some runs were quite icy in the morning.

Looking at Mount Strachan.

Chair lift to the summit of Mount Strachan.

Vancouver far below.

Howe Sound and the surrounding North Shore Mountains.

The Lions rock formation.

Mount Seymour nearby has seen almost 14 meters of snowfall this year and their snow base is respectable 3,5 meters and summit at almost 7 meters. Curious to see how it looked like, we drove up there and were not disappointed.

With this much snow, absolutely everything is covered with snow.

This is how a good base snow snow looks like.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:37 PM

Dumping in Banff this week, might actually get out again this weekend!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:00 AM

Talking about deep snow, last weekend was the season end at Mount Baker in Washington state. This winter having been as epic as it has, we couldn't resist driving up there for one more day in deep snow.

It's a funny feeling to start your day down in a valley where leafs are opening and flowers are blossoming, just to be shortly later in full winter setting.

Mount Baker has this winter had an incredible snowfall of almost 21 meters (830 inches). That is more than any other ski resort on the planet! Snow depth at the base was close to 6.5 meters (250 inches) which is insane.

It's quite thrilling to drive up a road that is carved deep in snow.

There was some 5 meters (200 inches) of snow surrounding the parking lot.

Deep snow covers everything, even buildings.

And how was the skiing? Pretty damn amazing!! There was some 15cm (6 inches) of powder overnight which made for fresh tracks all morning.

Really. Deep. Pistes.

There was no seeing of Mount Baker itself, but the 2,783-meter (9,131 feet) tall Mount Shuksan was seen on few occasions. The mountain appeared fairytale-like, shrouded in the clouds.

All in all it was an epic ending to an epic ski season here on West Coast. I manager to double my normal ski days with 16 days in the slopes. The La Nina weather pattern really delivered on the snow this winter and one can just hope for a similar one next year.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:44 PM

Will Valemount get enough people to be profitable? that area is pretty out of the way...

Off to Louise this weekend for Shake the Lake! should be good conditions and some funky beats post ski!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Will Valemount get enough people to be profitable? that area is pretty out of the way...

Off to Louise this weekend for Shake the Lake! should be good conditions and some funky beats post ski!
With smart lift plan design, and either rotating terrain (Fernie) or a low number of runs (Revy) can try to keep the operating costs down.

For Edmontonians it is closer than Revy, a bit closer to Golden.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
With smart lift plan design, and either rotating terrain (Fernie) or a low number of runs (Revy) can try to keep the operating costs down.

For Edmontonians it is closer than Revy, a bit closer to Golden.
Edmonton is still 5 hours away and Calgary is 7. Kamloops is the closest city and is just under 4 hours. This looks like a great resort and I'd love to check it out when it opens. Just not sure they can draw enough people as you would be driving past several other resorts on the way.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Edmonton is still 5 hours away and Calgary is 7. Kamloops is the closest city and is just under 4 hours. This looks like a great resort and I'd love to check it out when it opens. Just not sure they can draw enough people as you would be driving past several other resorts on the way.
Cheapo ski homes where you aren't competing with many Calgarians?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Cheapo ski homes where you aren't competing with many Calgarians?
I would love that, and the less busy a resort is when I get there, the better! Just seems tough from a business perspective is all.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:46 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Damn! Just got my powder alert from Louise - half meter of fresh powder this week and more for tomorrow. What an April ...

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:09 PM

Valemont will be a good stop along the route. Especially if you are doing multiple days say in Jasper or Kamloops. Valemont is just over an hour from Jasper. But I was thinking over seas marketing could do a loop. Jasper Valemont Kamloops. Then throw in Revy, Golden and Banff. could be a good ski vacation.

Marmot just announced they are staying open up to May 5th due to the good snow conditions. They would stay open longer but they loose staff and there is not enough people to cover costs at that point.

There could still be snow when we head up in July to do some Everesting on the road up.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Damn! Just got my powder alert from Louise - half meter of fresh powder this week and more for tomorrow. What an April ...

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!
NiCe!

Thinking of heading up for a late season day tomorrow, not sure which yet - probably whichever doesn't have rain predicted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia