HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:51 AM
Meh

More funny from the Daily Show in Austin.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/en...l-democalypse/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Bank of America Tower on Congress
Gura míle. That's a good location. I wish the Mexican consulate would move because the building they're in is pretty hideous.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:04 AM

Can someone say something that won't make me feel hopeless about Austin's future? Something that won't make me feel like this city is completely losing it's identity and turning into this faux progressive backwards shit hole....? Because these local (and of course statewide) election results are pretty fucking depressing.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Can someone say something that won't make me feel hopeless about Austin's future? Something that won't make me feel like this city is completely losing it's identity and turning into this faux progressive backwards shit hole....? Because these local (and of course statewide) election results are pretty fucking depressing.
Well, most of the city council seats and the mayor are going into runoffs. Tovo didn't get 50%. So really most local races are undecided at this point.

If it's the rail proposal, well, I think there was a lot of support in general for rail among those who opposed this plan. So rail will be back on the ballot soon.

Statewide, can't really help you. Maybe the result of redistricting will now be so incredibly obvious that the feds will intervene.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:28 AM
Meh

It would be nice to be on the winning team for once. - Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well, most of the city council seats and the mayor are going into runoffs. Tovo didn't get 50%. So really most local races are undecided at this point.

If it's the rail proposal, well, I think there was a lot of support in general for rail among those who opposed this plan. So rail will be back on the ballot soon.

Statewide, can't really help you. Maybe the result of redistricting will now be so incredibly obvious that the feds will intervene.
I pray for a run-off with 9 and Mayor. The idea of Riley being defeated by Tovo is just absolutely insane.

Ps. Thanks, Kev. Voting for the sane candidate in TX means rooting for the underdog

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:07 AM
Meh

I don't think Greg Abbott is crazy even though I disagree with him. Let's just leave it at that. Now, Dan Patrick. That's another story. The guy has actually checked into a psych ward and was nearly charged with assault once.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM. Reason: typos suck

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I was happy with the way things went last night. Didn't pay any attention to the city results, other than Prop 1, so I can't really comment there. Statewide, I'm happy. It wasn't unexpected, though. Everyone knew Abbott was going to win no matter how much money the Dems poured into Texas. He even won amongst women, a group which was supposed to carry the day for Davis.

Patrick, on the other hand, I'm not excited about. I didn't vote for him in the primary. I really wanted someone else.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:36 PM

The Texas Democratic party is operationally dysfunctional. If they really want to win an election they should offer up some infrastructure plans (transportation and water) to help solve two problems that a lot of Texans are concerned about. Republicans aren't offering any significant infrastructure solutions because of their no/low tax stance. Texas Democrats could pull in a lot of independent and moderate voters (like me) if they would just back off from the usual left wing stuff that may be popular nationally and focus on issues important to Texans.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:15 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The amendment that was just passed is directed at road infrastructure. And Republicans have also started putting money toward water projects. Those aren't really Dem/Rep issues. It's pretty bipartisan because they are necessary for Texas and we can all agree on them.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
The amendment that was just passed is directed at road infrastructure. And Republicans have also started putting money toward water projects. Those aren't really Dem/Rep issues. It's pretty bipartisan because they are necessary for Texas and we can all agree on them.
That Prop 1 only redirects $1.8 billion to TxDOT. That amount of money won't even fix I35 through downtown. Once it gets split between Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and the rest of the state we can look forward to a possible repaving of I35 through Central Austin and a new overpass in Round Rock or San Marcos.

It still looks like toll roads are the only viable option which is OK by me if the state doesn't want to increase the gas tax and voters don't want to approve bonds.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:22 PM
Meh

It was bound to happen. They have an Austin version of this now.

This is like a modern day Slacker.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 3:59 AM
Meh

The stadium looks kind of empty.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The stadium looks kind of empty.

Video Link
thank you for posting... I saw this today and thought it was a cool view of the city.
And yeah... the pregame stuff starts pretty early! If you look around 1;30
The Longhorn Band is still outside the stadium!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:45 PM

I was at the game Saturday. The crowd was actually pretty good. A few empties in the upper deck but most everywhere else was packed.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 10:05 PM

Looks like there's a controversy a'brewin' over the rainbow crosswalk proposal

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:00 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's rediculous about the rainbow controversy. If they feel that a colored bit of payment is going to exclude them then they are fools and really are bigots.

I don't want to get too into this but I can't let that comment go about Dems pouring money into this state. If you think they were pouring money then the Republicans sent a Tsunami. Also it's not a suprise about the end result of the election if 600,000+ Texans that have voter registration cards but for whatever reason don't have the "required" proper ID were not allowed to vote. You can't forge a registration card it has a bar code and a Qtag that is scanned by computer with your specific information on it, it discusts me that Republicans have to result in such low smutty behavior to get their way!! An old veteran who served his country for decades was turned away because his Veteran's ID doesn't count. He was elderly and needed help just getting to the voting location let alone having an updated state I.D.! Believe me I know how hard the state has made it for people to get IDs I took my disabled mother who can't walk far and has to be in a wheelchair when going places. Even though she had her expired I.D., Social Security # and birth certificate, They told her she had to have proof of residence by providing a bill with her name on it! Really??? That's bull crap and was not needed before the Republicans decided to make it harder for people to get IDs. Took 4 hours cause we had to drive back and forth and she was in extreme pain when it was done. HOW DARE THEY put unnecessary requirements just to get an ID and how dare people act like it's not a big deal getting a new ID because THEY HAVE NO IDEA what they are talking about and I can't wait until they end up in similar situations and see how they feel then. NUFF SAID!!!

"Leaves building and slams the door"

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Also it's not a suprise about the end result of the election if 600,000+ Texans that have voter registration cards but for whatever reason don't have the "required" proper ID were not allowed to vote.
Source on that number?

And how many of those "600k"
1. Voted by mail (no ID required)?
2. Cast a provisional vote?
3. Have a disability exemption (can vote without ID)?
4. Have a religious exemption (can vote without ID)?

Quote:
You can't forge a registration card it has a bar code and a Qtag that is scanned by computer with your specific information on it,
That's not the issue. The issue is that "John Smith" who presents the card may not be John Smith, and there's no way to tell.

Quote:
Believe me I know how hard the state has made it for people to get IDs I took my disabled mother who can't walk far and has to be in a wheelchair when going places.
If you mother was officially disabled she didn't need an ID.
http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 2:45 PM

I have absolutely no problem with an ID requirement for something as important as voting.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:03 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Source on that number?

And how many of those "600k"
1. Voted by mail (no ID required)?
2. Cast a provisional vote?
3. Have a disability exemption (can vote without ID)?
4. Have a religious exemption (can vote without ID)?

That's not the issue. The issue is that "John Smith" who presents the card may not be John Smith, and there's no way to tell.

If you mother was officially disabled she didn't need an ID.
http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id/
You have to apply beforehand for the exemption.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin