HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:38 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Cool CHICAGO | Trump Tower | 1,389' Official / 1,198' Roof | 96 FLOORS

Here's the link to the last page of the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...100944&page=80

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 6:48 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

1 more rendering of it:

Construction:

^Pictures by i am hydrogen

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:06 PM
Chicagotom SSC

I saw someone ask for a shot from the AON. Nice pic I_am_hydrogen.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 9:43 PM
1st Ward

I love the 2nd rendering in the first post. it looks insane!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Yeah I agree. This tower is going to be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
BANNED

^^^ Every render STR does makes the subject look insane! I can't imagine that render with the facade we are seeing now on it! Wow, that will be hot!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
that is very true, a lot of buildings seem to look better in their renderings, but htis building is just so amazing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:09 PM

Which is why Trump's next building (if he makes one) will be that much better, to "fight" against the Chicago Spire.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:35 PM

it's a nice building, with a solid design, but I don't think it's iconic by any stretch of the imagination. In any other location, it would have been just another really big glossy building, and probably not stand out much other than fot its height and bulk (Water Tower Place comes to mind as a building that fades into the background due to its design, despite its large size).

But since Trump has one of the most visible and high profile locations in the city it's kind of inevitable to look at it (in the same way it's almost unavoidable that you look at Park Tower when you are around Lake Shore Park). It'll certainly be one of the buildings you remember, but I don't think it'll be one that people really love. In my opinion the design doesn't spark the imagination the way the John Hancock or Marina city buildings do. Doesn't mean it's a bad design at all, like i said, it's a solid building, but doesn't quite rise above the architectural pack (which is admittedly hard in a who's who of architecture city like Chicago).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Which is why Trump's next building (if he makes one) will be that much better, to "fight" against the Chicago Spire.
Well as long as it doesn't look anything like his tower going up in Vegas. I saw it the other day; the curtain wall is almost finished

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
-

Thats because Trump actually had a hand in the Vegas Towers Design. He sure likes his Gold!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Thats because Trump actually had a hand in the Vegas Towers Design. He sure likes his Gold!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
OMFG!

ANYONE who ever said or even thought a negative thing about TTC needs to take a hard look at this ... and let out a huge sigh of relief.

Seeing the tower cranes now from Grant Park is a real joy - and they are popping up in a few very surprising places. The tower is also starting to really have an impact on the Courthouse district of River North. That area is going to feel much more urban and enclosed when TTC is finished.

Last edited by honte; Apr 3, 2007 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:02 AM
BANNED

Sorry I have not been playing too much attention....but about how many floors are they doing a week ---1 , 2??

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:32 AM

I don't know if has been said already, but how many floors untill the transfer floor? I should be soon, no?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicopico View Post
I am abslutely in love with this building. The old barge-like Sun Times was out of place and did little to "stir men's blood." Yes TTC is big. But what fuels my passion for this building is that you are never really looking at it. To gaze upon it is to see Chicago reflected in it. The mirrored clear blue sky and the old literally reflected in the new is what makes it remarkable.
I agree, the coolest thing about TTC is that it is essentially a gigantic inhabitable Bean in the way it reflects its surroundings not only literally, with the glass, but architecturally in every way shape and form. I think TTC is remarkable just for its chameleon effect, its not every day (or perhaps even never) you see a building do what TTC does with its surroundings. TTC is very close to being perfectly contextual, I mean it already reflects the weather and its only 1/5 done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
I don't know if has been said already, but how many floors untill the transfer floor? I should be soon, no?
They are working on the transfer floors right now. We are probably getting close to being a week through transfer floor hell by now...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:22 AM

Oh!!!!!!!!!! I've been though those floors with you guys!!!! so long and painful!! Just the pains we have to go thru for our supertalls!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:12 PM

From this morning.

Ghost, can you do something with this one?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:01 PM

My take on this building ... no, it is not a breakthrough design ... it is rather conservative, yes it benefits from both its location and its size .... but it is being done to absolute perfection. It's kinda like what the Japanese have done with all the widgets invented in other countries.

This building is magnificent in how it complements its surroundings and I am just amazed at how it reflects the mood of the environment.

I also believe this building will stand the test of time. I don't know that people looking at this building 40 years from now will be able to categorize it as a style that is representative of buildings built just after the turn of this century ... unless it is a victim of copycats (including Trump himself). Now, that can be good or bad. I personally have an affinity for building from the 20's and 30's but 80's style buildings are just ... yuck.

Even if you could identify it for a particular style or time period, being the biggest and the best is not a bad thing and may just qualify it for iconic status. Remember that there are 3 Empire State Buildings ... the big one that everybody knows about and then two mini-me versions (obviously not name ESB) by the same architect.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:07 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
From this morning.

ooooooh I'm seein' it!
i can't wait for 2008

did u guys catch that rhyme?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive